USS Enterprise (eventually) on Discovery?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by EJD1984, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Ignoring Kelvin ships...
    It could be worse, but why the mashup of Cage to TOS features? Why any NX-01 at this time, much less JJships influences?
    Forgot TMP influences.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  2. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's a bit more angled, but it's hard to tell for sure.
    Edit: I'm positive it's more angled. Same as the Enterprise A in Beyond. It looks fine, but it's still a change worth pointing out.

lawman likes this.
  3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, I do. Why would you think I didn't? :confused:

Okay, now you really lost me. :confused:

Especially since I have never even seen The Orville...

4. Mirror Mirror

Mirror Mirror Commodore Commodore

Prime is the reality we see in the TV shows. Its events, not a set look.

Ovation, Nerys Myk and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why not? Starfleet used the Excelsior for 100 years.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Couldn't disagree more
    [​IMG]

ominous_thunk likes this.
  7. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep, those engines and the bendy pylons are terrible.

Jadeb, Ar-Pharazon and CaptainMurdock like this.
  8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gorgeous... :)

Let's see her in motion:

DEWLine, ominous_thunk and Bay17 like this.
  9. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I was replying to a different poster, as indicated by the quote in my post.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that's a bit of a reach. From day one, a lot of the more hardcore Star Trek fans have wanted the Star Trek Universe to be internally consistent. What we got in ST: D really hasn't been. They deliberately set it in the time ( well 2 year after) of "The Cage"; as well as claimed "This is all taking place in the 'Prime' Star trek Universe that TOS with Kirk and Spock took place in -- Trust us..." (and stated same multiple times and in multiple news aeticles regarding the series production); yet:

- The ship uniforms are a big departure from what we saw on TOS - "The Cage" or in the second pilot which ultimately sold the original Star Trek series - "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - which is obstinately set in 2265 - 11 years after "The Cage". (And yes, we know the 'real world' production reason for this, but 'in universe' the one explanation is "These were standard ships's uniforms for about a decade'.)

- The ship interiors and viewcreen layouts are more consistent with JJ Abram's Star Trek 2009 alternate universe/timeline then anything in the 'Prime' TOS timeline.

- They effectively go out of their way to NOT show us any Federation of Klingon ship design that is remotely close to the design aesthetic presented in TOS - "The Cage" or the subsequent seasons of TOS in any Fleet shots or other single ship shots of ancillary Federation of Klingon ships.

The design of Pike's 1701 is a big departure from the original model design used for either TOS - "The Cage" or Kirk's 1701 first shown to the public viewing audience in 1966 TOS - "The Man Trap".

- TNG was the first 'continuation; and it used models and designs directly from the TOS feature films.

- DS9 used the TOS designs for the K-7 Space Station, Kirk's 1701; and a TOS era Klingon D-7 ship in DS9 - "Trials and Tribble-ations.

- VOY used the original U.S.S. Excelsior model and Klingon Ktanga ship models in VOY - "Flashback".

- ENT used CGI to recreate a model of the TOS era U.S.S. Defiant with the same look and color scheme shown in TOS - "The Tholian Web".

Of ALL the Star Trek series made for 'TV' (yes, ST: D is a 'streaming show' but is being broadcast on TV in Canada) - it's the first in the now 52 year history of the franchise that has not presented 23rd century era TOS Federation and Klingon ships as they have appeared in TOS and later Star Trek series franchise show episodes.

So, no the reason many TOS fans are positing 'it's a reboot' have everything to do with the visuals presented on the screen; and not because what ST: D gave in terms of story writing was 'uninspired', etc.

lawman and Ronald Held like this.
  11. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Yyyyyeeesss!

I know I sound like a snob but I think some people have sort of a congenital tone-deafness to beauty as per above. People who like the JJ Prise fall into that basket because the proportions are wildly off from the above ideals.

It's easy to say there's no right or wrong but there's just something about how the brain works that detects ideal proportion, at least for most people.

I just feel in threads like this that I'm playing out this scene over and over again.

Remy's reaction to taste is similar to a Trek nerd jonesing to the Enterprise reveal in TMP. You either get it or you don't. It you don't, it's a hopeless case.

I think today's artists and production designers are basically...Remy's brother.

lawman likes this.
  12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What quote? :confused:

13. Belz...

Not really. Abrams' interiors are bright and happy. Discovery's are dark and menacing.

A big departure? Casual viewers would be forgiven to not notice the difference!

Yes, because they didn't have enough money to make their own at first.

Because it was a homage. Seriously all of this has been addressed already.

14. Belz...

Wow, so people who like the Abrams design are defective? That's not insulting at all. Maybe people's ideals are different from yours and you're not the standard by which humanity should conform.

15. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Click the little "show ignored content" link in the bottom right corner of the page.

16. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By the way, whoever is bashing jjPrise, which version are you bashing?
    The one from Star Trek (2009) and one from Star Trek Beyond (2016) are very different:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are taken from this video which shows off even more of the differences.

17. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The problem with someone constantly changing their username and not everyone necessarily being in on it is that I genuinely have no idea whether you're fucking with him or just got lucky.

18. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I assure you, luck has nothing to do with it.

19. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I prefer a certain...efficiency in dealing with nonsense.

20. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Musta been another refit between the movies