(US) Do you support a $15 minimum wage?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Robert Maxwell, Jun 8, 2017.

?

Do you support a $15 (or higher) minimum wage in the US?

1. Yes

70.9%
  2. No

29.1%
  1. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen any suggestion that anyone should be held down. I've seen a few imply that some should be held up.
    ---------------

psCargile likes this.
  2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Yes, because it shows that there are no better options.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Amaris likes this.
  3. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

You know was looking at my 401k statement, thinking I should maybe look into investing outside the retirement plan to have some supplementary income come my way.

4. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

What baffles me lately (and in the Trump era, the term "lately" has been entirely redefined) is how Republicans can justify throwing millions of people off healthcare, while giving an enormous tax break to the mega rich. Whatever you think of the minimum wage... how can you justify that the super rich are more deserving of a tax break than regular Americans are deserving of healthcare. It's not only just un-American. It's inhumane.

5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Welcome to laissez-faire capitalism, trickle down ecomonics and liberalism...aren't they great!

Amaris likes this.
  6. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You haven't heard America's new motto? "I've got mine, FUCK EVERYONE ELSE!"

8. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HAHA no. These "employers" are CEOs who had nothing to do with starting the business - and very little to do with maintaining it.

Geez, I like (sane) capitalism, but at this point, BONO does a better job of defending it than you're doing.

LOL, ZeroHedge!! (For those of you who don't know, Zero Hedge is a batshit insane Austrian school finance blog run by two pseudonymous founders who post articles under the name "Tyler Durden." It has accurately predicted 200 of the last 2 recessions. if NATURALNEWS - clearinghouse of all bullshittery - had an Economics section, it would be ZeroHedge.)

Kai "the spy" and Amaris like this.
  9. Nyotarules

In $$$$$$$ we trust..you better recognise!

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Do tell how sitting on your duff while money rolls in for you doing nothing is "work."

Amaris likes this.
  11. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

Veteran benefits.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Making money is work! Also, making money by making money off of making money is important work! It's the best excuse I have to help me sleep at night.

/s

Nyotarules and Robert Maxwell like this.
  13. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just because a welfare spounge has received their hand out, doesn't mean they say "fuck up" to the hard working citizens who provided it.

14. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

And those are benefits that were promised to you as a condition of your service (employment)--so you earned them, they're just paid to you a lot later than your actual salary. Same as anyone else that gets a retirement pension or similar benefits.

15. GabyBee

GabyBee Captain Captain

16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know firsthand luck plays a role in getting a job. I got my job as a bulk carrier because one guy up their knew my sister who used to deliver newpapers. I got a job cleaning a car wash area because the lady hiring new my grandmother and I worked a summer job to get my first car because my dad owns his own business. I did somehow get a job at Dunkin Donuts by myself. I think they hired me because nobody else applied because I got it the day I went into for the interview but ends up the one job I got on my own was the one I was worst at. I got fired a month later.
    I think people forget that people are individuals and that means hard work is not going to work out for everyone. Other factors can get in the way such as they simply aren't good at a job and it takes alot of time and money to try and find something new, but people have to survive while looking for something they are good at. Even then that isn't always the answer. My mom is good at cooking and that has helped keep her employed but being good at something isn't enough. You can still not get rewarded for your talent because alot of companies don'[t care about skill or talent. They only care about how cheap they can get someone for and are willing to go with someone who is just okay at a job if it means saving money.
    I think what bother me most with the Trickle down aproach is that usually the same people who believe in this are also against unions or the social safety net. They want to take any leverage people have and erase it while allowing the rich free reign to do anything they want and even pay them money through subsidies and tax breaks.
    I just find it weird that small business owners are willing to support a government that is funding the massive corporations that are trying to put them out of business, yet when it comes time to blame people it always the poor who somehow have this huge amount of power over the economy yet can't even pay their own bills in many cases.

Jason

Nyotarules likes this.
  17. scotthm

Too bad you weren't lucky enough to get a job in the family business.

Speaking of which, a lot of what you're complaining about is how much employers don't want to pay you. How about following your heritage and working for yourself?
    ---------------

18. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm on disability so I can't really work right now but even when I could I wouldn't have enough money to start a business or skills to run one. I went to college but flunked because I suck at math and science and was only good at things like creative writing. Not to mention I have no desire to run a business. Everyone doesn't have that same dream. Some people are content to do a job that pays the bills and maybe have a little left over for a little fun.
    Instead it's almost impossible to get a job that allows you to do either because some jobs don't fit with your abilities or others don't want to pay anyone a fair wage even if you have the skills for it.

As for working for my dad that is impossible because we don't get along with each other. He looks down on me for being poor much like several Republicans tend to look down on poor people in general. The fact that I have OCD and panic attacks and even tried to kill myself once doesn't matter. I guess your just supose to shake it off and go work hard, though i'm not sure how people can worker harder in some cases. If someone is digging ditches for a living how does one even quantify if someone is working hard? If one guy digs a hole in 10 minutes were the other guy it takes 20 minutes is that what counts as "working harder." I'm not so sure how a guy working at Burger King can put anymore effort than he is already doing in regards to working a cash register and handing out food. Is he supose to just pick up the pace.
    People are already working hard in this country and not being rewarded for it so how is this "hard work" going to magically turn into more money for them?

Jason

19. scotthm

No, he's supposed to work more for himself when he's not at Burger King. Trying to get an education is work that just may pay off. One should at least give it a try. If you're not good at math and science then find something you can be good at that will be of economic value. It can be done.
    ---------------

20. Nyotarules

Pray that you will be 100% healthy mentally, physically and financially for God have mercy on your economic value if you take sick in any of those areas....

BillJ and Robert Maxwell like this.