Unseen TOS....

One idea about hemispheric domed windows- in event of a sensor grid going off line they can provide advantage over flush mounted windows. If a domed wndow is four feet or so in diameter then if you put your head in it instead of merely looking out you can look forward, down, around and across the hull surfaces....

While this idea works I think a cylindrical nacelle might be more likely since it could well be easier to make. But thats me. I do like that there is something evocative in the design—it suggests animal attributes, but doesn’t look like any recognizable creature.

Looking ahead at the rest of Season 1.

“The Galileo Seven” – We finally see the ship's hangar deck, but where does the truntable/elevator go? Okay, I have pretty much addressed this although there are a few things I could add. What I left undone was the workpod bay which I figured sat under the service deck, and the workpods exited out through that rectangular hatch under the fantail. Of course, that means I should also design a workpod.

p6aVxAh.png

“The Return Of The Archons” – The century old lost starship Archon. Like the Columbia in “The Cage” and the Valiant in WNMHGB it isn’t really necessary to the story to know what the Archon looks like, but we’re curious. Having already designed a Romulan War era Earth ship it could be reused for this episode as well. Or I could try to come up with something else.

“A Taste Of Armageddon” – The second lost starship Valiant (not the same one mentioned in WNMHGB). I already designed a ship for this some years ago, but I’m thinking I could take another crack at it.

“Errand Of Mercy” – A lesser class Klingon ship attacking the Enterprise. The Klingon D7 hasn’t been envisioned yet so what might this look like? Never tackled this before so could be fun.

Last edited:
Lovely screen shots, especially the weapons fire. Wish the gold colour would show up more, but as you say, they would look more muted on film.

Amazing work as always, @Warped9

While this idea works I think a cylindrical nacelle might be more likely since it could well be easier to make. But thats me. I do like that there is something evocative in the design—it suggests animal attributes, but doesn’t look like any recognizable creature.
While I really like this ship, I can’t quite shake the feeling that, based on the production crews aviation background, their thinking would be all deep space ships should have two engine nacelles for redundancy.

Although, I suppose if the Gorn consider their crews more expendable maybe it’s not an issue, such thinking also makes them a bit more alien as well.

I hoped to convey an idea without words with this design. I wanted the idea of the Gorn being on par with the Federation in some respects yet less advanced in others to come through unspoken.

Alien-ness is another attribute. Most ships on Star Trek have support pylons attaching to nacelles in a roughly similar way. But how it’s done on this design is meant to look…strange…and perhaps counterintuitive. I think it also adds to the creature like quality of the design.

Last edited:
I hoped to convey an idea without words with this design.
I was thinking about this. A lot of design works non-vocally. Shapes, proportions, texture, colour—it all conveys or telegraphs an idea or impression without a word. How it’s interpreted can vary, but often you can discern intent from design with little to no elaboration.

Matt Jefferies’ design of the Enterprise does this. From a 20th/21st century earth bound viewpoint the TOS E looks impossible—how can such an elegant construct possibly withstand the unimaginable stresses it would experience, particular in or near a gravity well?

But that impression is based on limited knowledge of current physics and engineering. In like manner most anyone from centuries past would be dumbfounded by the things we take for granted today—their lack of knowledge would blind them to how what we have could possibly exist.

To that end the design of the Enterprise is meant to convey an idea of advanced science and engineering far beyond our current understanding. It’s not explained in words, but in form and in action.

Now a different perception might get a different interpretation. Today’s younger audience often don’t get the same idea of far future technology from the design of the original Enterprise. For them far-future tech looks heavily greebled and with lots of extraneous and brightly coloured lighting. They expect far future tech to look more industrial and to convey at least a pretence of being understandable. This was first exampled with the TMP refit, and it’s gotten progressively more…greebled…or pretentious—take your pick.

Last edited:
“The Galileo Seven” – We finally see the ship's hangar deck, but where does the truntable/elevator go? Okay, I have pretty much addressed this although there are a few things I could add. What I left undone was the workpod bay which I figured sat under the service deck, and the workpods exited out through that rectangular hatch under the fantail. Of course, that means I should also design a workpod.
Stuff like your work is why TOS remains my favorite era. So much unseen items to explore.

George Lucas thought American society needed a common myth like societies before it, to help bridge the divisions that had emerged in the wake of Vietnam. The problem of course, is that the societies Lucas was comparing America to were pre-industrial, experienced life in terms of decades not moments, and could afford to believe in fairy tales.

The early 1960s America that produced Star Trek was dedicated to a largely common purpose of getting to the moon - a scientific and engineering challenge that enlisted everyone with any calculating ability to join. Those people made a new world, for better or worse, with the technologies they created. And everyone since has been able, more and more, to distract themselves with the fantasies that those technologies make possible.

In other words, you ain’t gonna get today’s viewers to compare a screen-bound spaceship to the sleek lines of anything that can really fly. What is real is fake, and what is fake is real, and “damn you for insisting otherwise”. And that is just the way it is, much to our apparent pleasure, and ultimate undoing.

Because, you know, you can’t ignore what’s real forever.

The early 1960s America that produced Star Trek was dedicated to a largely common purpose of getting to the moon - a scientific and engineering challenge that enlisted everyone with any calculating ability to join.
Not just "everyone with any calculating ability." Somebody had to be on the factory floor, building the spacecraft and launch vehicles. At the time, a fellow parishioner at the church I grew up in (Good Shepherd UMC of Westminster, California, FWIW) worked in a McDonnell Douglas plant that made the S-IVB upper stage (common to both the Saturn IB and Saturn V, albeit with a few differences). I have no idea what he did there, but he gave me an Apollo 8 commemorative medallion containing "flown metal." Which I still have. Back in 2019, when we had an Apollo 11 50th Anniversary special event at the International Printing Museum*, I exhibited said medallion. Along with a 1:96 Revell Saturn V that I'd finally finished building (I'd started it as a University student, but set it aside for decades).

_____
*That I spend my Saturdays docenting at the International Printing Museum is common knowledge on Fountain Pen Network, but I have no idea whether I'd ever mentioned it before on TrekBBS. I was the initiator of the Apollo 11 event, and (as it were) the "showrunner." Among other things, visitors could watch NASA's "Seventeen Seconds of Fuel Remained" video (which I had on a continuous loop), and print a mock newspaper front page from a real type forme, that I'd set on one of the Museum's Linotype machines.

Finally caught up with this thread! This Gorn ship is great! Honestly, I love all the Gorn ships, from the discs with chair spindle warp engines from SFB, to the flying bricks of FASA, to the collection of shapes the TOSr guys did, to the ripped-off-from-the-Chiggs-from-Space-Above-And-Beyond ships in SNW.

But this thing is pretty fun. Yet another Warped9 ship I'd like to build at my model bench.

I realize I'm late to the party for the drydock discussion, but I would have suggested an arrangement where the dock is in the form of flat planks on either side of the ship with cranes and "yard building" blocks on top and bottom of them. Something which clearly suggests a working area, but doesn't obscure the ship very much. I feel that the enclosed cage makes the ship too hard to see on my old 13" B&W Montgomery Ward TV.

Another thing that occurred to me while reading about the thoughts supporting the shape of the Gorn warp pod.... what about household items that could work for unusual shapes? Personally I'm an 80's baby, but I recall things from when I was a kid that hailed form the 50s and 60s that might be interesting. What would have prevented these guys from employing found objects into ships?

--Alex

It goes without saying that if the Gorn ship was being made from scratch you might indeed find odd bits laying around that could be used in interesting ways. And as I stated upthread I think it more likely the nacelle would be cylindrical rather than ovoid, and part of me regrets not staying with that initial idea.

An aside—ever since I was a kid I’ve thought the cap of a Bic pen, today known as a Bic Cristal, that everyone has used forever, had the basis of a cool looking spaceship.

Last edited:
I'm mulling over what I want to tackle next.

- TOS era workpod design
- Workpod bay (in tandem with workpod design) situated under my shuttlecraft service bay under the flight deck)
- Another century old starship design to represent the Archon from "Return Of The Archons"
- Starship Valiant referenced in "A Taste Of Armageddon"

A TOS Workpod would be fun, just please don't try to use the ST-Enterprise as a starting point. That is just a poor redress of the Phoenix set prop...

Back