Unseen TOS....

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Feb 5, 2021.

1. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something smooth and sleek, a design which looks alien where I don't see any lines to know how the pieces connect to one another.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I appreciate you quoting it. Ships like that are ones that I find more inspirational in terms of science fiction possibility, and feeling like current tech could reach that.

publiusr likes this.
  3. STEPhon IT

Warped9, IYHO do you think a Gorn vessel should look more reptilian or more alien in design? What would be your approach?

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think I would avoid doing something overtly reptilian. Consider that the Gorn, as seen in TOS, looked to have something like compound eyes. Thats rather alien by Earth perspective. So I would likely aim for something alien with perhaps a suggestion or elusive echo of reptilian connotations.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  5. STEPhon IT

I saw something on TREKYARDS, there was a rendition of an alleged "Gorn ship" from the remastered edition. What I continuously have a problem with those designs is it felt the makers were trying to honor the design schemes done from TMP and ENT and make a crude compromise, instead of just immersing in the designs from Matt Jefferies and others who participated in TOS and steer the Gorn ideas from there.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ TOS-R had conflicting agendas. The idea was not to polish the TOS fx so that they could look the best 1960’s fx could offer with money no object while still respecting the TOS aesthetic. It was to update the fx to look more acceptable to contemporary audiences. That the mediocre cgi now already looks dated was inevitable.

caveat_imperator likes this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Vice Admiral Admiral

I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling and the production timing, but I think the saucer/one nacelle model that Wah Chang built in addition to the Romulan ship was supposed to be the Gorn vessel. For whatever reason, it was not used and the episode showed nothing. Perhaps someone in the know might have more information. Chang did create the Gorn suit, after all, so it stands to reason that they might have had him build the ship.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Atolm, aridas sofia and Warped9 like this.
  8. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

I tried designing a Gorn ship a long time ago. It looked like the love child of a scaly lizard and Battlestar Galactica. Galaxy Quest came up with something similar, but that movie was a Trek parody. I don't think alien ships should look like how human's see the aliens. If human ships were designed by aliens in this way, they'd all have big butts and hairy heads!

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Decades ago I designed a Gorn ship that didn’t look reptilian, but certainly didn’t look human centric. It did have something of an organic looking element to it. I think I recall the basics of what I did, but not the details. I would have to try recreating it by memory.

10. STEPhon IT

That would be awesome, and would you also lean the renewed design with Wah Chang in mind?

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I wish we could see more of Wah Chang’s design.

Bernard Guignard likes this.
  12. Kahloke

Kahloke Lieutenant Red Shirt

Which model was that? I’ve only seen photos of the two nacelles Romulan bird-of-prey, and have never seen any references to Wah Chang building other space/starship models for the series. Colour me intrigued…

13. STEPhon IT

Here here!!! Everything Star Trek from the 60's intrigues me.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This was posted in my other thread TAS made real. This was the other design of Wah Chang’s that went unused.

Henoch, STEPhon IT and StarCruiser like this.
  15. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I’ll post this again for your reference. I based this on the Wah model I’d found. It also draws from details on the SFB Gorn ships, and admittedly, a little of the “reptilian” thing.
    [​IMG]

16. Dukhat

The SFB Gorn ships were always one of my favorite designs.

aridas sofia likes this.
  17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There's also this one (the 3-ZB Battlecruiser) from Allie C. Peed III and Stardraft Productions (1981). One of the earliest (if not THE earliest) fan-made Gorn designs, and really kind of cool-looking, IMO. Never cared much for the FASA ones, though. Too boxey-looking for me.
    gorn_battlecruiser.jpg

18. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like that version. The viper like lances to either side look to pour out death beams

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    137th Gebirg likes this.
  19. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I seem to remember someone making a 3d model of this ship I'll have to check my archives

137th Gebirg likes this.
  20. Dukhat

StarCruiser and Atolm like this.