Uniforms in the new series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Shalashaska, Mar 10, 2016.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was picture day ;)

Also, I like the deck uniforms on a carrier, but they serve a very specific function in the Navy, on a carrier specifically, so it would be hard to argue for that level of color on a Starfleet vessel-possibly. I'm sure there are arguments either way.

I would prefer more color than the jumpsuits or the gray shoulder jumpsuits that we had later on. One idea that I kind of had is a bit of a basis from the TNG era uniforms, with the colored torso, but have the shoulders be the division color, or have shoulder boards for ranks, but still have black under the arms.

I also like the idea that was suggested that security and medical personnel have their own distinct uniform or look.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That was Scotty's opinion.

Grendelsbayne and Kor like this.
  3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The flight deck personnel compose only a fraction to the crew of a carrier, I don't believe the majority of the crew wear such brightly colored clothing, instead wear typical Navy uniforms.
    +

4. fireproof78

Which is my point. The colored vest system is part of only the carrier deck crew. The rest of a carrier crew wears standard naval uniforms.

I wonder if they will have enlisted rates in this show or if they will stick with all officers. It would be nice to have enlisted personnel with their own style of uniform.

5. T'Girl

Even if the primary focus was on the senior officers, I would prefer the obvious presence of enlist personnel.

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

For all its flaws as a game and as a depiction of the Star Trek universe, the uniform code depicted in the game is pretty decent.

7. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Is there some kind of regulation that states that if you are on a certain part of the ship you MUST be in uniform? That the only time you can wear 'regular' clothes is in your quarters or when you are on leave?

One of the small things that bugged me during all the shows was people wearing their uniforms while they were hanging out at Quarks or at a party on the holodeck or ten forward.

I could see someone being on duty having permission to drop in on someone's birthday party for a few minutes and then returning to duty (or maybe they are required to allow people 'breaks' while on duty and of course they have to eat etc) remaining in Uniform but why is it worn ALL the time?

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Nonetheless, the uniforms were avocado green. So said Theiss.

9. T'Girl

Off duty I think you would have the option of "civilian" clothes, we've seen people in casual attire.
    Oh like he'd know.

10. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Starfleet certainly wore uniform a lot. Probably just because it's easier to use the costume you already have than design and make a civilian wardrobe for each character.

11. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We were not discussing what colour the props used in the filming were, we were discussing what we saw on the screen, and that was not green.

Besides, there is a lot of evidence that only the third season shirts were greenish, whereas the earlier ones were really gold. It was discussed in the thread someone linked earlier. Here:
    http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/why-didnt-theiss-find-a-shirt-that-photographed-green-then.151259/

Kor likes this.
  12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Some more options I found that I liked. A mish-mash of some earlier deisgns with a more textured material. Kind of like Daredevil or Flash's suit from the TV shows: [​IMG]
    These are similar, but just a little further from familiar designs.
    [​IMG]

Again, familiar but updated materials:
    [​IMG]
    On the bridge:
    [​IMG]
    Updated but simple. Looks like it might be gray in shadow:
    [​IMG]
    These are supposed to be MACOs:
    [​IMG]
    Lastly, an EVA suit:
    [​IMG]

13. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Textured or leather-like material is a good bet, looking at recent costumes, especially in the superhero genre, that's where things have been headed.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Taking a cue from Under Armor. I have some shirts like those designs. Of course we'd expect the detail and texture to have some futuristic properties or purpose.

15. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope they don't take inspiration from those designs. They're too overly designed.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just take the Mass Effect uniforms and slap arrowheads on them.

17. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I may be the only one, but while I didn't like Enterprise, I quite liked their jumpsuit uniforms. They seemed quite practical for everyday duty use. Maybe an updated version of that.

18. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I want the actors to be comfortable. No complaints of how it hurts their backs, is too hot, itches or having to wear contraptions underneath them.

19. fireproof78

As odd as it sounds, I kind of look to medical scrubs for ideas for more comfort in terms of a working uniform. I found a color scheme that kind of works with my concept here.
    Again, this isn't the be all end all, but I like the idea of a uniform that is very stretchy material, has some freedom of movement and a lot of pockets, if the job requires it. Scrubs you can get in almost any configuration, so obviously the options need to be made more uniform for a military style organization, like Starfleet, but that concept of working but comfortable.

MadMan1701A and stardream like this.
  20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do away with the color scheme altogether, put the division/job title on the uniform. Might work, unless your job is "Turbolift Control". :wah: