Uhura trailer released

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Harpsichord

Harpsichord Commander Red Shirt

Click to feel old:

2. valden

valden Commander Red Shirt

I am still disappointed with her overall character design, do the writers have a fear of male gaze or something or do they think the other uhuras were too sexuliased? when they were just simply hot and been proud of it. Nothing wrong with Nichelle in the mirror episode. she was the Beyoncé before beyonce was born and nothing wrong in Zoe taking her dress off in star trek 2009 and Kirk constantly male gazing after her.

I am glad Celia is very aware of what Nichelle and Zoe Saldana brought to the role, calling on their grace and how they captivated the screen.

This new trek folks seem to be against pure feminine looking characters like Zoe and Michelle, . they have given celia the Rose Tico potatoes sack treatment from star wars, where they have to make sure they played down the actress good looks and femininity and make them appear as masculine as possible.

Why is Uhura one of the only 3 original female characters from TOS, who are on this show that is forced to adapt a hard masculine look, with a hair cut that no black woman will style with the too perfect straight hair line that black women never do, when they go the low cut.. Una and Chapel are designed and styled so girly and soft. Uhura is not.

what is up with this writers, did they design Uhura that way because they were scared that she will outshine christine chapel or something? can't we have both women looking like their feminine womanly self like in TOS and even TAS.

It is a pattern Hollywood are now doing to many women of color. they make them appear as masculine as possible. :shrug:

Celia you deserve better darling.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see the masculine here. It strikes me as they are starting Uhura at a point of learning and growing from cadet to officer. Sounds pretty standard to me. :shrug:
    Fear it? No. Diminish it? Absolutely. Nothing pains me more than people who look at a person and sexualize them immediately. It grinds my gears so much because it's no longer a person but an object.

I have a feeling Uhura will grow as a character going from college graduate to an experienced professional. There is no need to sexualize any of that. Male gaze deserves to be ignored and diminished.

4. JoaquinSlowly

JoaquinSlowly Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don’t think she looks masculine at all. When Celia Rose Gooding walked out on stage at Mission: Chicago in a glittery, sparkling mini skirted dress, with that haircut, she exuded femininity.

She’s also wearing a uniform with a skirt in most of the promotional material, the same as Una, and looks very feminine in a long flowing white dress in the trailers that feature what seems to be medieval style on location shots, as well as set dressing on the Enterprise, and everyone in similarly medieval style costumes (labeled as Elysian when on display at Mission: Chicago, the Star Trek Cruise, etc.).

And if they were exploring a less feminine phase of Uhura’s life, that would be fine. People aren’t a monolith, and there’s no reason the Cadet Nyota Uhura from 7 years before TOS should look and act the same exact way. Most people mature and change a lot from their early 20s to their 30s, and ‪‪I would want a well written and developed Uhura to have a chance at that development. Expecting a character to have the same haircut their entire lives is not only nonsensical, but already contradicted by multiple hairstyles throughout the TOS films.

Whether or not Celia’s feminine or masculine qualities are being highlighted is immaterial to my enjoyment of the show, or what I hope to be my appreciation for her interpretation of the character of Uhura. It’s a non-issue, and even it it were, ‪‪I don’t think that “short hair means not-feminine” is a reasonable or justifiable position in 2022 without ignoring multitudes of different cultures with different beauty standards and ideas of what is typically masculine or feminine.

5. valden

HA,:lol:

Now , this I dont buy. Princess Leia was perhaps. sexualised if we must argue and yet she is the best female character in the star wars movies. bland rey, and masculine looking rose dont even come close, wonder woman, buffy, superhero females like black widow can all be argued to be ''sexualised'' but that has never stopped them form been good characters.

if a woman is very pleasing on the eye in the most feminine way then that is nature, lets embrace it and lets not tone it done. I have seen Celia outside her uhura look and she is looks far more feminine and yes, she is pretty, even with the very masculine look they have given her, I think she is still prettier than the other actresses on the show once you look at them deeply, but they are trying really hard to tone down her looks.

Additionally that is not even Uhura. Uhura is meant to be physically attractive in the most feminist of ways that is very noticeable when you see her for the first time.

The series has always made clear on this. in TOS, remember that guy who took over spock's body and said. Uhura walks in beauty like the night. in the 2009 movie, kirk said, she was gorgeous. the very first time he meets her.

I feel this show as stripped uhura feminity and softness down way too much. Honestly when I first saw some pics of the character (celia's uhura), i was not too sure if that was a male or a female person and that really annoys and hurts me, as a person of color. Hollywood is doing this on purpose and mostly to women of color. it is not a joke, this is a good video on this.

Urgh, good thing I did not see that 314 movie. not watching a movie where Lupita Nyong'o gets the rose tico treatment for no good reason.

Additionally I have also seen the same sentiments from many POC fans on twitter and lipstickalley, which is the most active black forum site on the internet. I even saw a British political MP commenting on celia's uhura looking too masculine on twitter. I think he is a man of color as well.

we, people of color.... are tired of this shit.

Also, just because a woman looks very feminine and girlish in every aspect of the way, does not mean they are sexualised.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  6. fireproof78

Rey is a very good character, almost as good as Leia. Leia is one that wasn't sexualized, save by Luke, until the garbage of ROTJ. She's a good character by and large and so is Rey. I like Rose too. Why? Because I like them as characters and not as sexual objects. That's the stupidest argument I've read in a long time.

Wonder Woman and Buffy I don't know about and don't care too. Too sexualized for my taste.

Black Widow was sexualized from the start. That she became a good character doesn't mean it shouldn't have been toned down because it was stupid and ridiculous. And it was called out in the Black Widow movie.
    Yes, let's. Let us find a balance between "male gaze" and overt sexualization and natural beauty.

Uhura strikes me as variations on the theme, not toned down.
    That's literally what male gaze is. So yes, it needs to be addressed, yes it needs to be toned down. All across the board.

I can't stand it.

nightwind1, Sci and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  7. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder?

Celia Rose Gooding might not look very similar to Nichelle Nichols, but she has her own kind of beauty, and she definitely looks like a woman.

8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In what little I've seen, Gooding reminds me very much of Nichols. She has a couple of line readings in the trailer that are eerie.

This whole post is so fucking wrong in every way that it could be wrong.

That irritates me.

9. fireproof78

Yes, she does.

What appears to be happening is trying to force Gooding in to an Uhura size box.

Orphalesion and JoaquinSlowly like this.
  10. Orphalesion

Sorry, I'm confused are you agreeing (on the second two points) or disagreeing (on her not looking very similar to Nichols) with me?

11. fireproof78

I'm agreeing with this.

Orphalesion likes this.
  12. valden

never said celia is not a beauty because she is, what i am saying is there is a current pattern going on to masculinize women physically when that is not even the real world of how most women feel or want.

celia uhura like many other characters, are becoming victims of this IMO. it is one of the modem newer feminist third wave belief, get rid of male gaze and women are so equal to men on and in everything that there is no longer a need to separate much of the physical traits.

13. fireproof78

I will simply agree to disagree. She is feminine enough without sexualization.

And male gaze is something best left behind rather than winking and nodding at which has gone on for too long.

14. valden

there is women gaze with spock and pike. heck, they seem to even be getting shirtless love scene? are spock and pike been sexualized?

15. fireproof78

Yes.

16. valden

hypocrisy at its finest then.

17. fireproof78

Humans will do that.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

valden, would you please just knock this shit off? It's disheartening, unnecessary, poorly reasoned and uninformed opinionizing.

The kind of video you have to link to in the mistaken belief that it strengthens your case should be your first clue.

19. Orphalesion

Again I disagree that Gooding's Uhura looks "too masculine". She looks like a beautiful lady and like an officer in the line of duty on a starship, and I think the cut of the uniform (particularly the long tunic variant) is quite flattering on her.

Of course whether she's "pretty" or not (and again I say that I think she is) is less important than whether she's gonna be an interesting character and whether she will be portrayed as a competent member of the crew.

20. valden

can you please stop attacking me? if you cannot address my stands and opinion just ignore it, but please i ask to stop directly making comments on me,

i also dont appreciate you swearing at me by saying things like ''fucking wrong''

address my message and not me. any other later i see as a bully attempt on me.