Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

Is there a new meaning of the word "genre"? Actors have always won Oscars and Emmys in different genres, the adventure genre, the Western genre, the crime genre, the romance genre etc.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hardly new -- it's long been used as a shorthand for SF/fantasy/horror as opposed to "mainstream" fiction. Granted, it's technically inaccurate, but it's been around for decades.

Greg Cox and J.T.B. like this.
  3. J.T.B.

I see, thanks. It's new to me, anyway. Seems like a great potential for misunderstanding.

4. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Commodore Commodore

As I said, I didn't remember. Whoopi was indeed deserving, and longer ago than I assumed. What I did remember was Sigourney Weaver being nominated for Aliens, and of course not winning, and Sir Ralph Richardson being nominated posthumously for Greystoke (he also did not win).

As to Ruth Gordon, I was unfamiliar with the Oscars until many years later, and her win never registered with me. Fredric March, on the other hand, won during a time when film was what there was. As such, all genres were given equal weight in terms of recognition for excellence, in all categories. Then television came along.

Television gave the viewers, and the the studio heads, such a broad forum for straight drama that genre (meaning SF and fantasy, of course) programming and features lost a lot of status. Many actors that had done well in genre roles switched to the straight drama roles to be recognized for their talent, and the genre presentations lost status once again. Weren't Ruth Gordon, Mariette Hartley, and Whoopi Goldberg the only three between Ruth and Whoopi to win for genre roles during that time?

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I Spy, season 1, "My Mother the Spy." Sally Kellerman as an American spy trying to protect her new baby; Theo Marcuse as a top enemy spy using the baby to get her to talk.
    [​IMG]
    Both of them in clever spy disguises:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GNDN18 likes this.
  6. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Premium Member

Kellerman was on It Takes A Thief around the same time, also sporting the Dehner flip. I usually try to avoid the drool comments, but the brunette wig works.

7. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commander Red Shirt

This morning's episode of Planet of the Apes on MeTV has Percy Rodrigues under the latex makeup portraying Aboro. As an aside, I know this isn't Star Trek related, I noticed that the series is/was produced by Herbert Hirschman; who produced the fourth season hour-long episodes of The Twilight Zone. I only just made the connection thanks to The Twilight Zone Companion, which I just happened to be reading when the episode started.

8. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You missed out Joseph Ruskin as Daku, Darren! :techman: And Tom Troupe as Augustus, Galen's childhood friend! :p
    JB

9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. Perrin voiced Dr. Zin, Jonny Quest's main villain (and the only one who ever recurred). He also did several other villains on the show, IIRC.
    And Patrick Stewart was the very next person to direct Goldberg after her Oscar win, in the TNG episode, "In Theory." I remember Stewart saying in a interview promoting the episode, "What a privilege!" when that was mentioned.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I Spy, s1, "It's All Done With Mirrors."
    Archie and Stonn brainwash Kelly into trying to kill Scott.
    [​IMG]

Scot and fellow agent Cloud William figure out what's going on.
    [​IMG] 3

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  11. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

James Sikking and Clint Howard in Home is The Hunted, an episode of The Fugitive! Billy Mumy also appeared as Richard Kimble's nephew along with Andrew Prine! Both not being TOS guests but both actors having a considerable body of work in other sci-fi series and in the franchise as well! :techman:
    JB

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The 1968 episode of The High Chaparral that H&I is airing as I type this is getting a lot of use out of Fort Vasquez and the surrounding terrain.

13. J.T.B.

This one?

14. The Old Mixer

^ Looks like it, yeah. Didn't catch the title, but it had a Feb. '68 airdate.

15. Maurice

Maurice Admiral Premium Member

Fort Oghora, actually.

This photo (link) makes it pretty clear where the fort set was in relation to the best known formation of the rocks. Basically, you went out the gate maybe a hundred yards and boom, Gorn fight spot. That picture is from this site (link) which has a number of photos of the fort set on its pages.

Also, THIS (link), specific to Arena.

I was just there a few weeks ago. The rocks are much bigger than they appear from a distance. I know, I climbed up them!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    JonnyQuest037 and GNDN18 like this.
  16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting -- it was a replica of British colonial forts in South Asia. And yet it got used in so many Westerns after that...

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The always stunning Susan Oliver in the season 1 finale of I Spy...
    [​IMG]
    ...as that one woman from Kelly's past who can still screw his head up.
    [​IMG]

18. The Old Mixer

Caught Leonard Nimoy playing a Native American on the early 1966 episode of Daniel Boone that H&I was just playing...and now more Vasquez Rocks on The High Chaparral.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I think it was an ep of Cimmaron Strip I bungled onto this afternoon on H&I, and there was Morgan Woodward being a bad guy.

20. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Just caught William Shatner (Sam Kirk in Operation: Annihilate) in an episode of The Six-Million Dollar Man (Burning Bright) where he was an astronaut who got zapped by something in space that made him able to talk to dolphins. The episode also featured another of Shatner's long-running series of questionable toupees.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    ZapBrannigan likes this.