Trailer 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by F. King Daniel, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's probably getting an MA rating for language. (Although I doubt we've heard the 'MA' level language yet.

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For "Enterprise", we didn't get a proper, real shot of the NX-01 until the opening credits sequence of "Broken Bow". Before then, we'd had a couple blurry shots, a detailed TV-Guide spread of the top of the ship, and that was about it aside from masses of fan speculation based on leaked details and sketches based on the above. I imagine this is what they're aiming for with Discovery... At least with this latest trailer we have a blurry shot of Burnham on what looks to be the Discovery bridge!

[yt] [/yt]

Mark

Markonian likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC they said they would use english where it makes sense, so I'm assuming when the universal translator comes in play.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they recorded some english dialogue just for the trailers.

4. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

I wondered if it might be English when the Klingons are speaking to each other, but Klingon when they're speaking to someone who isn't Klingon and the universal translator just hasn't caught up yet?

5. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Difference is: In the trailer for Enterprise you posted there is not one single vfx shots of starships. It's all just dailies of footage, so from a point in time where there weren't any finished vfx-shots. OTOH we've already seenTONS of starships/vfx-footage of Discovery. Where they only showed us one shot of the main ship, compared to dozens of literally any other starship, including the Europa which we literally know nothing about.

Let's hope it's not because they agree the Discovery doesn't look good enough to be featured in trailers...

Not to shit too much on the American rating system, or old conservative white dudes in backrooms deciding what's morally "appropriate", but the producers told us Discovery won't feature much more sex, violence or cursing than previous Trek shows. But there's a gay couple. So I expected nothing short of the maximum rating...:shrug:

Markonian and m.lp.ql.m like this.
  6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the other way around:

- When there's only other Klingons in the scene, they'll be speaking Klingon (with English sub-titles)

- When Humans (or other Federation members) are around - or talking over the viewscreen to the Klingons from their Bridges; that will be in spoken English on both sides.

M-Red likes this.
  7. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

And it's confirmed that she does wear silver at some point.

8. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was talking about in its first run.

It showed very controversial subject matter for the time.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to this more and more.

10. Vger23

I like that they've shown more of Captain Lorca now. Seems like an interesting, complex character. Perhaps not the "shining light of virtue" that Picard and Janeway were...and more a guy in the mold of Ben Sisko. I still don't think he's going to be a villain...I just think he's not going to be all perfect and virtuous.

saddestmoon likes this.
  11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

This one is higher quality. I don't know about region lock.

ELURIA and Markonian like this.
  12. Vger23

Why do y'all think that the standard "sustained beam weapon" phaser look has been abandoned in recent productions?

Even in First Contact and the subsequent TNG films, the rifles all fired pulses or bolts, for example.

Looks like the same is in store for DSC.

Psion, ELURIA and Tesophius like this.
  13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because the interspersed cyclic/rapid fire weapons look better on screen.

Also Star Wars.

14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guessing because its more 'actiony'.

The phasers in WoK were also bolts/pules but they fired a lot faster so it was more of a stream of fire, but in some scenes where the beam moves you can see the bolts spread out.

15. Vger23

TWOK phasers are actually my favorites. They were long, lethal beams that pulsed. Even the sound effect was awesome.

Alas, we never saw them again.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The TWOK phasers had, what, 3 beams or 4?

17. Vger23

4 horizontal beams on the handhelds. 2 on the Enterprise (per each saucer mounted bank). 1 on the Reliant (each
    roll-bar mounts)

18. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

[​IMG]

Mr. Nova, Fandango831, Kor and 9 others like this.
  19. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So, another bad trailer, but not significantly worse then the last one. Outside of the reveal of the show being apparently rated MA, but while that is awful at this point it would be really hard for the show to get worse so its hard to get angry at the MA rating with the show already being trash. Just more garbage to add to the pile.

Fateor likes this.
  20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or Lorca is just now letting her out of the brig? No combadges in the brig perhaps? Or no rank insignia? That could be a corridor of detention cells they're walking down. (Apologies, if someone else has said that already.)

P.S. Lens flare!!!!