Spoilers TOS: Cast No Shadow by James Swallow Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Thrawn, Jul 22, 2011.

?

Rate Cast No Shadow.

1. Outstanding

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Above Average

35 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm reading that it's out in some stores, so here you go :)

Mark spoilers for at least the first month or so.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012
  2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Re: Star Trek: Cast No Shadow Review Thread

Damn, this is out already? I guess I should go to Amazon and order it.

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I ordered my copy I liked James Swallows ds9 books I'm really looking forward to reading this book.:techman:

4. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Just a quick question to anyone who might know. Rumor has it that T'Prynn will feature in this novel and, if she does, does Cast No Shadow contain any spoilers pertaining to Star Trek: Vanguard after Open Secrets?

Apologies if its a dumb question. :)

5. kc5hwb

kc5hwb Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ordered it today and will have it on the 27th.

6. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Where did you hear that?

I can categorically state that T'Prynn does not appear in any way in Cast No Shadow, nor does the book have any connection to the Vanguard series...

7. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for getting back to me and I'm glad that I'll be able to enjoy this novel when it is released.

As for the rumor, I'm not too sure. It's plausible that I heard that Elias Vaughn was going to feature and knowing that he was a colleague/acquaintance of T'Prynn, I made the connection in my own mind. My apologies. :)

8. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just finished it. Pretty good!

Question for James Swallow:
    What do you think the current (2380s) situation is for Krios? In "The Mind's Eye" it seems to be still struggling for independence, but in "The Perfect Mate" they seem to have some independence, at least so far as to have external relations independent of direct Klingon control (in this case, relating to Valt). At least in modern times, it seems external relations are the last things colonial powers give up to the locals. I believe in KRAD's annotations for Articles of the Federation, he was considering there to be two separate planets called Krios. As it was never outright stated in that book, it doesn't technically conflict. Based on all of these things, I would guess Krios gained its independence sometime between 2366-2368? Maybe during the tumult of the Civil War?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  9. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Todd, without spoiling, does this novel deal a lot with the political situation in this period, since it's only a few years after the Praxis incident and the Khitomer Accords?

10. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got my copy on Friday. Only 122 pages in so far, but it's been a rockin' 122 pages!

Definately loving the Sulu/Excelsior mission so far. Glad to see another Excelsior adventure, even if the book isn't totally tied to it.

Also interesting to note the reference to the Enterprise-A's destruction in the Shatnerverse novels. Not saying there hasn't been previous mention of it in a 'regular' Trek novel, but I don't immediately recall reading of one.

Rob+

11. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It does deal with the political situation. Without spoiling it's difficult to say how much.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, now I have another reason to look forward to reading this book, not that I'm saying that's a bad thing.:bolian:

13. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far, this reminds me of one of those books I'd normally read in a sitting or two, but the timing is lousy at this point to accomplish that. Right now I am limited to reading on my lunchbreak and for about an hour at home (our 21 month old's bedtime is getting later and later as she ages). However, it's really filling my taste for a good Lost Era type voyage to this point!

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

According to the dates established in Mission Gamma: Lesser Evil, Vaughn and T'Prynn didn't work together until 2319.

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Finished the book last night.

Great stuff.

Four out of five light-sabers.

The book primarily deals with a plot to derail the peace between the Klingon Empire and the Federation following the signing of the Khitomer Accords.

The book features Valeris, the disgraced Lieutenant from Star Trek VI, a much younger Elias Vaughn, and several other new characters.
    Although Spock is featured on the cover, he does not play a large role in the book.

The pacing is rapid and concise, with several "flashbacks" that reveal a great deal about the motivations and thoughts of Valeris herself.

The book is an easy read, and a great one - off adventure. Swallow does a good job answering some of the unanswered questions in Star Trek VI.
    One such question - what happened to Ambassador Nanclus, Colonel West, and Admiral Cartwright after they were discovered? Why was Valeris moved to join the conspiracy, and to kill in cold blood? What was the motivation, and after effects of Spock's forcible mind meld? That section alone is worth reading.

The terrorist plot was refreshingly free of overly political references to the current "War on Terror".

All in all a good read, and nice addition to the Star Trek Literature library.

16. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd give it a C/D - it's a solid if rather generic franchise book. The prose is good but it's let down by the predictability of the character and story arcs, and you can see some of the conversations between characters coming 50 pages off. I groaned when I saw the appearance of that most overused and hackneyed story device,
    the childhood trauma
    coming over the hills.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you liked any of James Swallow's books in the past?

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Never read any of them (as far as I can remember - I might have read Synthesis but I'm drawing a blank on it at the moment).

Don't get me wrong, A C/D doesn't mean I think it's a bad book just that it's not anything special or particularly memorable.

19. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ I actually really like how harsh you are with your reviews. It's nice to read clear, well thought out opinions that aren't just positive. It bummed me out a little when Destiny seemed to chase you away for a while.

20. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, just not interested in this one. The time for this book was 10 years ago. I've moved beyond my interest in this part of the timeline. I don't mean to criticize this book or the author but this story seemed to come out of no where; I don't think the lost era has been visited in awhile. Is there much enthusiasm for this book?