Toho is making their own Godzilla movies again!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Dec 8, 2014.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Looks like a moray eel.

I wonder if anyone actually tried to morph gorilla and whale images together

2. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

Bandai has given us an advance look at the Godzilla and Servum figures from the movie. Godzilla looks very similar to the previously leaked images, but now we can see more details.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Godzilla is kind of the mother of the whole "toys are spoilers" trend.

4. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

So Monster Planet Godzilla definitely looks like Legendary's Bearzilla but with the more traditional Toho dorsal plates. We've seen it before but this confirms it.

5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

This is one of the times a toy store might be less likely to carry them than some bookstores

6. Kai "the spy"

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised the Japanese hadn't done a high quality anime version of Godzilla sooner. Could be interesting.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was going to say they hadn't done any anime version of Godzilla, since the only two Godzilla cartoons I knew of were American (three if you count Bambi Meets Godzilla). But then I found this...

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That trailer looks pretty cool, anyone seen a translated version?
    Is Get Going Godzilland the only time Godzilla has spoken?

10. Christopher

I tried using YouTube's auto-translation, and I got total nonsense.

Amazingly, no. The Japanese version of 1972's Godzilla vs. Gigan contains these rather wild sequences:

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is crazy, I've never seen those before. I had some trouble understanding what they were saying past all the roaring.

12. Kai "the spy"

Actually, the Japanese version only contained the speech bubbles and the "monster language" screeching introduced in "Ghidorah, the three-headed Monster". The voice-over was exclusive to the English dub, though I think those scenes were cut in many releases. I did own the British VHS from 1998 for quite a while (and watched it at least a dozen times in the years I had it), and those scenes, including the voice-over, were on that.

13. Christopher

Godzilla: "Hey, Anguila (sic)!"
    Anguirus: "Whadda you want?"
    G: "Something funny going on. You better check."
    A: "OK!"
    G: "Hurry up!"

Later:
    G: "Hey, Anguila (sic), come on. There's a lotta trouble ahead!"
    G: "Let's hurry!" (I think)
    A: "OK!!"

Ah, thanks. I did wonder about that. The version I saw on Hulu cut those scenes (or showed them without speech balloons or English dialogue).

I wonder, was the English an accurate translation of the speech balloons?

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the quotes. The original Godzilla movies really did get pretty crazy for a while.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I want crazy in my Godzilla movies. The anime looks awesome. I can't wait.

16. Nomad

Nomad Commander Red Shirt

S.H. MonsterArts has given us a more detailed look at the Monster Planet version of Godzilla. I like the gnarled, ancient look, fitting for a creature who is thousands of years old.

bigdaddy and Kai "the spy" like this.
  17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Something I was thinking about.

I wonder if anyone ever thought to inclining the sets?

If someone in a suit walks up a slope--that has a camera and skyscrapers on it--it might make an actor in a dino-type suit who cranes his neck up look a bit more like real dinosaurs who walked more level.

Inclined sets might allow for explosives to push debris farther.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if that would have been a good idea, the suits look like they were already pretty hard to get around in.

19. Christopher

It would be immensely simpler for the performer in the suit to lean forward. The Godzilla costume in Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (called GMKGoji or SokogekiGoji) was meant to be used with the performer leaning forward for a more T. rex-like posture, but it proved impractical.

In only one direction -- and the rising smoke and flame would make it obvious that the set was tilted.

Anyway, they'd never use pyrotechnics with enough force to actually hurl debris, since that would be too dangerous. Most pyro is just low-energy balls of flame and smoke that look impressive but are basically safe to work around. (Indeed, the more powerful the explosion, the more swiftly it burns up the reactants and the briefer the fireball; so low-energy pyrotechnics are more visually impressive as well as safer.) If you want flying debris, you use an air mortar to blow lightweight fake debris through the air.

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Featuring the most ridiculously over power version of Godzilla to date, as he apparent melted fucking Mount Everest.