Toho is making their own Godzilla movies again!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kai "the spy", Dec 8, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Of the current Legendary-Toho licensing contract. They could always renew that contract, just with different terms that allowed them both to make films at the same time.

Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah are in the next film, Godzilla: King of the Monsters in 2019. Godzilla vs. Kong is the one after that.

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

Ah, ok. I was unaware of the 2019 film. I thought the nest one was Godzilla v. King Kong.

3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I read today that part 2 of the new animated Godzilla movies: Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle will be released on Netflix on July 18th.

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

Right, "City on the Edge of Battle" is online, and it's a real improvement on part one. The story is actually interesting this time, to the point that, even though there's no real action until the last 20 minutes, it's never boring. Godzilla is still stiff like a statue, though.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Vice Admiral Admiral

For those still following this, the trailer for the final part of the anime trilogy is up:

6. Skipper

Skipper Commodore Commodore

I have just watched this and it was a quite depressing experience...

7. Christopher

Surprisingly slow-paced and talky for the climax of a trilogy. The kaiju action throughout the trilogy has been rather static, but Godzilla reaches new heights of motionlessness this time. These films were pretty well-made, and they're among the most conceptually ambitious Godzilla films ever made, but I don't think they'll be regarded as being among the best.

8. captainkirk

captainkirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Godzilla basically just stands in one place for the entire movie. Surely they could have found something exciting for him to do?

9. Christopher

Well, he stands in one place, then is briefly shown moving away from it, then spends essentially the whole climactic action standing in a different place. But the two places pretty much look alike, so it's easy to miss that he's moved. The problem with this whole trilogy is that Godzilla's surroundings are nondescript wilderness, so there's no sense of scale or geography. What makes giant monsters effective is seeing them contrasted against human civilization and dwarfing our creations.

10. captainkirk

captainkirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sense of scale was a big issue. They introduced the biggest Godzilla ever but compared to the terrain around him you wouldn't think so. I don't think they needed to make him so big either. It doesn't add to the story in any meaningful way because he wiped out humanity with his beam weapon and couldn't be killed due to his shield. It had nothing to do with size. Reducing him to a more conventional scale wouldn't change the story and would allow him to be more mobile.

11. Skipper

Let me see if I got this right. Every civilization reaches a point that create a "Godzilla", like an antibody. Then Ghidorah arrives, devours it and its planet. The Exif priests just facilitate the process. Or not..?

12. Christopher

13. Skipper

Thank you, very interesting. It's no clear in the movie if the Exif are just "facilitators" or they they are essential for the coming of Ghidorah. I'm partial to the latter because, well, Godzilla remained undisturbed for thousands of years. In any case every civilization is screwed in this universe because, I suspect, If they even manage to destroy a Godzilla, simply a more powerful one will come.

14. Christopher

I think the message at the end is that it is possible to coexist with Godzilla/nature so long as you respect its power rather than trying to conquer it, but it went too far with the "all technology will inevitably bring doom" angle.

15. Skipper

Yes, but before you can coexist with it, you need a civilization to create it, than this civilization has to renounce to its foolish ways (and killing 99% of its population in the process, I suspect). Then It has to remain stuck in the Stone Age forever...

You know, I'm thinking that those Exif guys had a point...