TNG Rewatch: Series Finale - "All Good Things..."

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Trekker4747, Feb 24, 2017.

1. TheAdmiralty

TheAdmiralty Commander Red Shirt

Hard to believe TNG's been over for 23 years.

The one finale that really got it right. You almost wish they hadn't bothered with the TNG movies since this one gets their send-off so perfect. One of the best of the series.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, I still find WYLB the more satisfying finale. It has its faults, but so does AGT, and I can appreciate that the DS9 folks had both written themselves into a corner and had to deal with budgetary realities.

3. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

Just got to the end of my rewatch with AGT and thought it was a great finale. For all the awful episodes in the last season, at least they did a great job with the ending, which, much like BoBW, felt very cinematic. It was smart (despite the usual time-story logic gaps (all life in the quadrant should've been eliminated as soon as they created the anomaly)), lavishly produced for a TV show, and, as many have noted, surprisingly sentimental.

I maintain that DS9 was the better show - despite all the war stories, not because of them - but I certainly appreciate TNG more than I used to from my memories of the original airings.

Thanks to Trekker4747 and the others for the great recaps and reviews. They made my rewatching of the series feel a bit like a communal event.

Trekker4747 likes this.
  4. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

When I recently got Netflix, I was more than happy to rewatch DS9 and VOY and ENT, and that not long after I watched TOS remastered and TAS on DVD sets. But I didn't really rewatch TNG. It's always been available on regular T.V. more or less, and I watch favorite episodes now and then, but to binge watch the whole series is just something I didn't do and wasn't really motivated to do.

Maybe I should watch it again. Apart from some really bad acting in season 1 when they were still trying to find their legs, it was a pretty good series.

5. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

The only series I ever watched outside of its original airing was TOS (and TAS), since I wasn't around when it originally aired and reruns were the only way to watch those at the time. Although it wasn't an intentional plan, I'm glad I didn't watch the other series after their original airings and got to experience them almost anew by binge watching the whole thing - first with DS9 a couple of years ago and just now with TNG. I don't think I would've bothered if I'd watched the episodes repeatedly over the years. It has a very different impact when you watch the entire series over a compressed span of time.

I'm looking forward to seeing VOY, since I'd lost interest with it and only saw a fraction of its episodes. ENT will be harder to watch because it didn't get the 7 years the others got to iron out its issues and ended right when it found its footing and was getting really good: painfully disappointing.

6. JRTStarlight

JRTStarlight Captain Captain

I watched them all as they originally aired, and TOS in repeats FOREVER (so quoting it verbatim is a natural reflex). But that was while growing up, before cable, before satellite DISHes, back when they only had 4 channels. Wow, I'm old. Later, the others were rewatched once, maybe twice in the many years after, but binge watching was not an option.

Then the remastered TOS (usually so much better than the original) on Blu-Ray, then TAS on DVD. And with Netflix, binge watching was now an option. Except for TNG, I happily did them all. I'm not sure why TNG got a pass. Too recent? Not since the first airing, but unlike most of the others, TNG has been on TV pretty much continuously so I never got a chance to miss it.

But I love all Trek series, and most of the movies. My POV is if you can take out 5% of the episodes of any Trek series, every one of the series is so far above average TV you can't help but watch them and even recommend them. As for the 5%, with so many writers and so much pressure to produce on budget and on time, it's little wonder some are real stinkers. But it's wrong to judge a whole series by a handful of truly awful episodes. Trek is great stuff.

Kaelef likes this.
  7. Kaelef

Kaelef Captain Captain

It's going to be fun watching the TNG movies now, starting with Generations. :beer:

8. Handsomeyoungensign

Handsomeyoungensign Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ya man. Second that loudly. Great characters great show.. So amazing Patrick Stewart and co actually made lives thru it.. Very few episodes i truly dislike.. This was an awesome awesome finale..

Even got some puns in with data and his maid! Cheers