TMP-DE fully restored in 4K…it’s about time!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Warped9, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I haven’t read about any errors but I have seen people having issues where they ordered the DC from Amazon and were sent Final Frontier instead.

2. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Talk about a slap in the face!

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been a good year for you what with this and Picard!

I disagree with Fireproof that it deserves an R-Rating, but I first saw this movie when I was a good and the sound effects in the scene really stayed with me. I haven't seen the movie in over a decade, but just you mentioning the sound effect brought the sound unbidden back to my mind and I get the same uncomfortable feeling I did when I was a kid.

It's much nastier than it needs to be, but it is what it is.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  4. Bad Robot

Bad Robot Commander Red Shirt

Oh I love it. Despite its open contempt for Bennett/Meyer Trek, Roddenberry Trek did occasionally (and surprisingly) have teeth.

I'll have my shrimp cocktail served RAW (as in moving) with no sauce.

5. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It’s the mangled scream that gets me. It’s horrific. But this film really wanted to capture the danger of venturing into space; the immensity, the loneliness, the peril—something Trek rarely attempted. Most of the time space travel in Trek is a happy, rather effortless jaunt across the stars.

Kor, fireproof78 and Therin of Andor like this.
  6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The transporter accident never got to me, but as a little kid, like five or six, I would watch TMP on VHS only up to the end of the wormhole scene. I’m sure I’d seen the movie all the way through at some point, because I knew after that there was a long talking part with very few shots of the Enterprise or any other cool spaceships, and also the scene with the lightning probe was either too scary or, possibly, just too shrill for me, so just up to the wormhole was plenty of spectacular space adventure for me.

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Eh, I probably was overblowing it on the R thing. But, as a scene goes its absolutely something I will skip whenever possible.
    The mangled scream is what makes a horror. It does what good horror films are taught to do-leave the terror to the viewers imagination.

But, what's worse for me is the humor afterwards of McCoy's not wanting to transport. I understand flippant attitudes and the need to move on. But, that leaves a bitter taste in my adventure movie.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is the 4K TMP going to be pulled from Paramount+, or not?

It was supposed to disappear from the service as of the end of last month (for reasons I still don't understand), but at this point, it's still there. So what's the deal? :confused:

I did notice that iTunes is now offering the 4K version for sale, though..

9. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

As regards to the problems some are experiencing with the discs. I recommend removing them from the cardboard sleeves and storing them in a proper jewel case. Not only are they very hard to remove from the cheap cardboard box, but you risk damaging the disc trying to extract it.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

To jumpstart 4K disc sales?

11. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

It’s possible that it was never meant to be taken off of the platform, that the notice was added as a mistake.

12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

That would be my guess, it was just assumed that taking it off the platform was to boost physical disc sales, since that sounded like a reasonable explanation, but presumably anyone that was going to buy a physical copy was going to do so anyway and I doubt that hardly anyone would have been in the "well I can't watch this on P+ so I guess I'll buy it" camp.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  13. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I think some of the other titles had the notice of being taken off after Aug 31st.

The only one that actually was is TWOK.

14. Jules / OTOY

Jules / OTOY Lieutenant Premium Member

Sorry - just ran across your post today. Check out the all the videos and images in this thread for much more BTS info on these shots:

https://twitter.com/julesurbach/status/1565352895440007170

IronWaffle and Tosk like this.
  15. ConstitutionNCC1700

ConstitutionNCC1700 Ensign Newbie

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Thanks very much for the link. I'm pleased to see my suspicion confirmed, digital work along with prosthetics to get Spock to look like Nimoy. I feel vindicated. ;)

I'd really like to see a photo of the actor without any digital likeness applied, but I get the reasoning behind holding back something like that. I think I did spot one frame of the actor's un-digital face in the clip where a laser scan is being done of him melding with Colt. It's poorish quality, but seems to indicate the level of work the real-time replacement is doing.

Edit: Just to be clear about one thing, my interest in what's prosthetic and what's digital is not intended to impugn any of the good work being done here. I think it all looks amazing. I just enjoy the making of aspect as much as the final product.

For anyone who doesn't want to click the link...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  17. Jules / OTOY

Jules / OTOY Lieutenant Premium Member

I was asked the same question on the twitter thread a week ago (it’s embedded so hard to find) - and in fact we did have a slide in the Vegas presentation with a raw iPhone capture:

https://twitter.com/julesurbach/status/1566566830952443904

IronWaffle and Tosk like this.
  18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Thank you for that. I don't know if you're allowed to answer this, but is there an edict to show as little unaltered Spock as possible? Even that shot is only a quarter of his face and quite low quality. (Again, not speaking in a negative way, and certainly not demanding anything...just honestly curious.)

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Jules / OTOY and Tosk like this.
  20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Thanks. I'm kind of flabbergasted that I managed to miss that for so long. :ack:

Tomalak likes this.