Things that don't add up:

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Discofan, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Binge rationalizing - the next best thing after Ben&Jerry's.

...Is simply a cover story, as nicely explained by previous posters. Yes, L'Rell and Voq had an affair, but Tyler's body need not have been involved in it in any fashion. But Tyler being in the hands of L'Rell's faction ever since the capture at the Binaries is likely: this House did run a prison ship and was famed for its interrogators and all, and did have Starfleet prisoners other than Lorca and Tyler/Voq, the two that were specific pawns in L'Rell's games.

Whether House of Mo'Kai would keep a random human prisoner alive for six months is unknown. But Klingons do take prisoners, habitually (they just don't take hostages to protect their own skins, because that gets them slain for cowardice), and Tyler might have been the guy unfortunate enough to outlive his 123 compatriots. At least for the most part (that is, with sufficient body parts more or less intact).

I like that one. It's not so much the doing of the meld itself, but of Spock driving himself insane till a powerful telepath slaps him in the frontal lobe like any good Vulcan Healer.

Did she? We never learned there would have been a genocide in progress. What happened was that the Ba'ul had been told to cease and desist; they fired a set of red rays to their "pylons"; and lo, the pylons did cease to work.

Burnham Jr. just knew she had to be there so that Saru could see her. She didn't need to actively do anything with that suit, which for all we know did not have the optional extras and accrued goodies of Burnham Sr.'s suit.

...What's the problem there? SF already had basic intel that Klingons were geologically vulnerable to such bombing, and if they did not, Tyler would have provided some, and if he did not, Emperor Georgiou would have been familiar with the innards of all things Klingon, be it conquered homeworlds or cut-open warriors.

That the plot then could be turned into the blackmail scheme is the harder pill to swallow. But we saw the aftermath and could appreciate that the Klingons craved a leader, any leader, under any pretext. L'Rell just had to posture louder than her competitors - and those competitors clearly saw advantage in letting one fool try first before they would step in and take the reins. After which it was standard Klingon backstabbing politics all the way.

Most Trek superbeings can. Some choose to look vaguely humanoid, but few are indicated to actually be that. Probably it's no more curious than the ability to do calculus is to us, or the ability to use tools is to a common crow.

I don't think we have ever seen DNA as the vector of superpowers before - but we have seen random chemicals or energy bursts achieve the same. Who knows what was in that syringe in addition to the DNA strands? (Not Stamets, certainly!)

Even though it took a few episodes, we finally learned that yes, there was plenty of evidence - nicely also matching horrible Klingon torture, which would be by design. It's pretty clear the House of Mo'Kai knew exactly what sort of scrutiny their creation would face when delivered to Starfleet...

Water coming and going was a big part of the early Black Alerts. Apparently, there's a cosmic reservoir somewhere. (And since the network reaches everywhere, and can physically support humanoid life on occasion, the exact specs of "somewhere" need not concern us much.)

So we should be thankful that a time machine was involved. :devil:

Why not?

I mean, it was clear all through the adventure that Control wanted the alien probe data, and did all sorts of evil things to get it - meaning it was evil before getting it. Our heroes at one point speculated that it wanted the data in order to become more sentient, which is perfectly possible - there's always room for improvement there. But we don't need to think this was any sort of a time loop where Control only becomes evil by receiving the seeds of evil from a future where Control is evil, or anything. The AI simply was hostile to mankind by original design, and started acting on it at some point (possibly much earlier than his framing of Spock, quite possibly decades earlier).

Why did it frame Spock, then? It had the means of killing people within Starfleet facilities, implicit and explicit, so either it didn't want Spock dead, or was too late in realizing that Spock Must Die! and let him slip beyond its remote assassination means, so it proceeded to make Spock hunted and then killed in that process.

Why would it want Spock dead? To cover its virtual buttocks, most probably: an expert witness on how the future will unfold would do harm to Control's chances of making it to true godhead.

But corollary to all that: why was Control's influence limited to S31 assets? Why did it not hijack NCC-1031, too? And if it could not, why could it hijack Starbase 5 to kill "Spock's victims" and fake the records?

Or did Control send S31 operatives to kill the three (because that's what the operatives do), and then try and do the same with the hero ship but fail because Leland was too busy with other stuff and Georgiou and Tyler did not cooperate? I mean, assassinating Spock at that point would already be too little, too late. But surely agents who could kill at SB5 could be expected to cripple the Discovery or something?

Timo Saloniemi

2. Rhodan

Rhodan Commander Red Shirt

There´s something people talk about here and there already. Spock supposedly get the vision of seven signals from the Red Angel... Who was Gabrielle.. Who didn´t send the signals.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They screwed Lorca's arc.
    They killed Lorca.
    Everyone wanted to BBL (Bring Back Lorca) but they didn't BBL
    And WTF happened to Tilly in season 2

Captain Jed R. and Phoenix219 like this.
  4. Timo

Noteworthy is also that Spock's vision was not of the signals, but of the Starfleet map on the signals. That is, Spock drew the weird circular graphics and all.

The signals were probably a mystery to Gabrielle, too, something she observed happening and got a map of from Starfleet at some point. And possibly tasked Spock with finding out more - or the Spock just got random insight into one of the things troubling Momma Burnham.

But the seven signals obviously weren't sent by Michael, either!

Only one of those actually done by Michael, the Terralysium one (done twice), would not overlap all the others, on the scale of that map. The rest would be one dot, not five.

And it is not merely a matter of an erroneous graphic. Plotwise, the heroes really have no idea where Red Things would next appear, despite having that map. So the map's signals don't have anything in common with Burnham's seven - except for the first that took them to the Hiawatha.

So who sent the actual map signals and when? (The why part could simply be "to get Pike's attention", implicating Michael.)

Timo Saloniemi

Spaceship Jo and Phoenix219 like this.
  5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

One thing that isn't exactly a contradiction in terms but a bit of a stretch is that Gabrielle Burnham's suit was described by all (especially Saru) as being incredibly advanced, from a remote future while it had been designed in the PAST at a time when spore-drive was completely unknown. It was incredibly powerful since it allowed Gab to transport not only people but also buildings halfway across the Galaxy in an instant!! I mean where does that technology come from? It's one thing to time-travel, it's quite another to do the transporting thing! Don't tell me that Gab was able to design all these nearly miraculous things all by herself while the entire Federation was unable to do anything close with all its resources in common twenty years later!! Unless we discover that Gab. was actually a Q, that doesn't seem very plausible.

Longinus, Spaceship Jo and Amasov like this.
  6. Timo

Both time travel and the use of micro-wormholes are unknown to the TOS heroes in the 2260s. But time travel is still essentially unknown to Picard, despite James "Over the Counter" Kirk having done it more or less routinely (and, on occasion, very publicly). Possibly these technologies are relatively simple to invent - but, once invented, offer themselves to simple concealment, too!

That is, a time machine is an excellent tool for hiding the invention of time travel... One just wonders if such a machine was applied on Spock, too, or whether he just chose not to volunteer dangerous knowledge to his 2260s CO.

Timo Saloniemi

7. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I mean, if you can teleport an entire village across the galaxy like it's nothing, then who needs starships?

Longinus likes this.
  8. Timo

No doubt Starfleet's own military-industrial complex suppresses the knowledge, then, for that very reason!

Timo Saloniemi

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I could believe that in a capitalistic society but the Federation is supposed not to be one.

10. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or the fact that Spock mind-melded with the Red Angel, thus, I ASSUME he would have known the Angel was Gabrielle in the first place. A fact he neglected to mention.

RPOW0614, Longinus and Phoenix219 like this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

It seems those guys were forgotten entirely. Even in the second season after it was decided that Black Badges were Section 31, these guys are never brought up at all. Exactly what was their point in Season 1, besides being ominous when Michael and the other convicts walked by them? They clearly weren't guarding the spore drive, and Disco had nothing else aboard that warranted special security provided by a black ops organization.

The constant change of showrunners this show has gone through sure has left its mark.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I assumed it was only a partial mind-meld.;)

Spock doesn't sound like he's the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I mean if you think of the lengths that Michael went to in order to restore his sanity, one would think he'd be a little grateful to her for that, instead, he keeps criticizing her and only relents after the punching incident with Leland!

13. Amasov

Exactly. I remember there was speculation before the series even premiered over whether the Discovery, herself, was a Section 31 vessel because of its NCC-1031 registry.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I think they took Poe's idea of hiding things in plain sight a little too literally.

15. Amasov

Good catch; I forgot about that. It pains me to see the show suffering from the inability to keep their own facts straight. No Star Trek show is perfect and we’ve seen the other show make similar mistakes, but, that doesn't keep it from pissing me off.

When you consider that this whole season was mapped out (at least I hope it was) long before the cameras started rolling, how is it no one on the staff found these mistakes? I know writing isn’t easy, but, my god.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Mechanoid1, Spaceship Jo and Discofan like this.
  16. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I'm still convinced there were major course corrections mid season.....

17. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

What, does it not seem perfectly reasonable and intentional that the first few episodes should center on chasing down red signals that indicated imminent danger and were speculated to be the interventions of a benevolent higher being to ensure the Discovery could help save lives, and then we find out they were actually just so Burnham could bribe different people across the galaxy to get some back-up in a big space battle later (complete with an implicit bloody revolution on Saru's home planet)?

The Wormhole likes this.
  18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The suit gave her unlimited access to space/time. She could have gone anywhen for upgrades.

19. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    Clearly Prime Lorca is somewhere in the future waiting for a shocking episode in a future season ala Tasha Yar / Sela/Kes/Scotty and Sisko's wife.
    Both Seasons. The Red Angel plot in particular. I still don't understand how they knew where the signals would be. Magical Spock?

Phoenix219 and XCV330 like this.
  20. Amasov

She could have, but, do we know if that actually happened? Remember, she couldn't stay in one place for very long before she'd get pulled back into the future.