Things that don't add up:

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Discofan, Jun 12, 2019.

1. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Those visits to Pep Boys were brief and to the point.

2. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The problem is that in her future, all technology is gone and the species that designed it along with it.

In fact, I suspect that Terralysium was artificially maintained in a pre-technologic state (the only guy who doesn't reject rational thinking is treated like a pariah) so that it would be spared by Control and be a safe harbor for her. Control probably bombed the hell out of the borg!!!

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was smart. Even if she couldn't take things back, she could learn and scrounge enough raw materials to rebuild technologies. She had unlimited time in the 32nd century.
    IIRC The apocalypse was around 500 years into the future? That's plenty of time for technology to evolve sufficiently.

I'm not saying it's a perfect cure-all, but I can kinda see it working.

4. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I don't think so. As soon as Control got the A.I Data, it had all it needed to kill everyone. Why would it wait for 500 years? That wouldn't make any sense. In the finale, Control doesn't even have enough Sphere Data yet he's already killing people all around!!! Do you really think that had he got the Data he would just have stopped for five hundred years without harming anyone? Impossible. Remember that the sphere Data contained archives from countless civilizations for a hundred thousand years, imagine all the technology it had all the info. about!!

5. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

It only ever had direct control over 31 ships and 2 people, versus 7,000 ships and billions of people just within the Federation. So it wasn't going to happen overnight, and there may have been resistance before the planet-killer weapon was finally developed and unleashed. We never got details about what happened in that interim.

6. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Like the borg, Control had the ability to "convert" people into copies of itself with nanobots. His "soldiers" would grow in numbers exponentially from that point on. Remember that Michael's mom said that as soon as Control gets his hands on the sphere Data it's over. Resistance would truly be futile. And she saw hundreds of different scenarios!!! All ending with Control wiping out all sentient life in the Galaxy.

7. F. King Daniel

It took longer in the original timeline. All the chaos in S2 was because Control learned of it's destiny early and would stop at nothing to acquire that data.

At least, that's how I saw it.

XCV330 and Phoenix219 like this.
  8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Well, agree to disagree then.

9. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well ds9 managed to turn quark into a woman right down to having breasts and a ferengi vajayjay and then make him a guy again like it was no big deal.

10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

When it was time to evacuate Discovery to have it blown up, Saru only took his kelpien knife... One would think he would have taken Georgiou's telescope as well (handed down for generations!) Whatever happened to that telescope?

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Doesn’t Burnham have it?

12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

She gave it to Saru.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Saru’s new “fearless” status means he only cares about weapons? So he’d take the knife, but not really care about the telescope.

14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I think it's inexplicable, In-Universe that is.

15. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Daniels could have intervened the same way future “Timeless” Harry could send Voyager Harry a message, even though Voyager Harry’s actions meant that Timeless Harry would never exist.

16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

But Daniels' temporal laws are special, he turned his entire planet into a lifeless desert just by removing Archer from his time and bringing him to his, instantaneously, according to his own words. Presumably, his world came back to normal after Archer returned.

17. jfordny

jfordny Lieutenant Red Shirt

Pike's fate can't be set in stone by taking a time crystal. Nothing prevents him from ditching Starfleet and heading off to Mojave to ride his horses for the rest of his life.

If the argument is Pike isn't the type to do that - abandon Starfleet and those cadets - fine, but the idea that he can't makes no sense at all.

Jadeb and Phoenix219 like this.
  18. F. King Daniel

They teased this in the last episode, where Pike wanted to stay with the torpedo because if his future was set, it must therefore be a dud. It wasn't, but he didn't stay so the question is still open.

Personally I'd love a Pike series where he's testing his own mortality and destiny in ever more and more insane ways. He quits Starfleet but is drafted back by some emergency the next day. He tries to space himself but the airlock door malfunctions. Ironically, his status grounded and training cadets stems from Starfleet's evaluations of his precarious mental health following these actions...

Star Trek meets Final Destination:lol:

19. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Haha, yes, lets see him try to finally go into that Orion Entertainment business.. .:D

F. King Daniel likes this.
  20. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

It's a complicated set of rules, apparently, your future is only set in stone if you are the first person to touch the crystal after Tenavik removed it from the cave. Michael, for example, saw things that never happened. Also, the crystal seems to be causing these dreadful fates! I mean what if Pike had seen himself dying in his bed peacefully a very old man surrounded with friends and family? I doubt he would have recoiled from that in horror. So it's very possible that the crystal is causing people to have a horrible future. For example for a Klingon, the best death is one that happens in battle. So dying in his bed is what would make a Klingon recoil in horror.;)

Jerikka Dawn and serabine like this.