Things that don't add up:

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Discofan, Jun 12, 2019.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Five or ten years? Maybe. A century strains credibility.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wormhole likes this.
  3. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Wow... A Fifty Year Old, Sci-Fi TV show that often strains credibility....

Since day one...

Will wonders never cease. :wtf:

4. BillJ

Minion on Minion crime. Not cool. :lol:

The Wormhole and Jinn like this.
  5. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The technology existing isn't implausible at all, but the fact that this super secret organization that officially doesn't exist has unique and identifiable combadges seems a little strange.

I can reconcile it this way: All starfleet intelligence have black combadges, thus s31, which is technically sort of part of Starfleet intelligence, sometimes use the black combadges.

Those guys guarding the spore drive in season 1 were probably some security detatchment sent by Starfleet intelligence to keep the spore drive, and any information on it secure from spies, saboteurs, etc.

penguin44 and Longinus like this.
  6. BillJ

I try not to think about the security on Discovery.

trekshark likes this.
  7. fireproof78

Yup.

8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Yeah... cause THAT's never happened before....

:biggrin:

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

You think Trump is secretly running the show?

10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure He Think's he is.
    :cardie:

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cornwell wasn't just a therapist.

She is obviously a qualified command officer (she does, after all, take command of the Enterprise when Pike is away). So she could simply be an admiral of many talents.

Picard can be a captain and an archaeologist, can't he? Same story here.

12. BillJ

She acted like she didn't have a clue most of the time. Unfortunate Jayne Brook got stuck with some rather poor writing, especially at the end.

Jadeb likes this.
  13. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Well, at least she got depicted as someone heroic.

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Only by the usual definition of "heroic = incredibly stupid". Why choose to die when she could just have stepped out of that mysteriously blastproof door (mysterious because somehow no other door or wall or floor or ceiling in that room was blastproof, including the one that supposedly worked as it should) and then pulled the fateful lever, with a piece of string. Or, you know, just performed a hero roll below that veeery slowly descending door?

Since she was the heir apparent to command S31 with the demise of all the other onscreen black badges, though, perhaps she merely committed suicide in order to dodge the duty.

But what's this about S31 being an organization that "does not officially exist"? There's none of that in DSC. Everybody knows that S31 exists (and wears black badges). Everybody knows what S31 does. It's just that nobody knows what S31 does, specifically, so it is just a tad mysterious and shady and all. And perhaps at some point of time, S31 is supposed to cease to exist (say, right after the UFP High Council hearing on the Control disaster), so it continuing to exist in the late 24th century is somewhat unexpected.

I just wonder what other branches of Starfleet have their own easily identifiable badge types. I mean, TOS was rife with distinct badges. At the very least, DSC could have shiny, black, red and striped arrowheads...

Timo Saloniemi

15. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Spock sanity is a bizarre issue! First, he committed himself to a psychiatric facility because he thought he was insane because he didn't know that his visions were real. but then once told his visions are real he realizes that he's sane and escapes but then HE's INSANE AGAIN!!! What the??? I mean he's so insane that he can't even say "take me to Talos vi" he has to go through a stupid time-wasting charade??? Looks like the writers couldn't make up their minds on that issue.

16. fireproof78

One does not usually expect rational behavior from people who are "insane."

17. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

The point is that he's sane enough to escape and cover his tracts but then he's so helpless that he can't even say where he wants to go. Whatever happened between these two events?

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Time passed?

I mean, it was something of a plot point that he wasn't getting better on his own, and was barely treading water with the furious meditation in the katra cave. Not only was S31 doing the opposite of healing him, but he was getting messed up worse and worse by the temporal confusion until somebody did heal him.

Timo Saloniemi

19. fireproof78

I work with people who struggle with mental illness. Some people are highly capable in one area, but not consistent in other tasks. And that's just with humans.

rhubarbodendron likes this.
  20. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Except that it's not "other tasks" it's the same tasks that he can do perfectly at one time and not at all a little later without anything significant happening between these two moments.