Spoilers The X-Files: Season 11

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sto-Vo-Kory, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked them for the most part and to me they sort of made sense but I think that all changed in the episode with the spaceship that was crashed in the ocean off the shores of Africa. I think that might have been when I lost interest. Then you had the super soliders thing which didn't make much sense to me but I do think it made for a kind of fun little arc within that season. In many ways I sometimes think it might have been better to make the mythology stories more about government corruption and secret societies and keep the aliens as the mystery built grey aliens, and we have no clue on their motivations because I think that is how most people think about so called real aliens in the real world. Once you start making them actual characters with plans and so forth you loose some of the realism about how our society see's aliens that some think are real and in the real world.

Jason

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

When it comes to William being CSM's kid, I think we should at least be glad he did it "with science" rather than the old fashioned way.:barf:

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

True, but it was still a gross and sickening violation of Scully.

Awesome Possum likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, it definitely was, I'm just saying it could have been a lot worse.

5. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Thought the episode was ok.
    Why was Mulder so hostile against Skinner before he talked to the CSM?

6. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was asking about that upthread... I never did get a response, and I've tried Googling an answer to no avail. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it :)

USS Firefly likes this.
  7. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Skinner smelled like smoke, ala: CSM. That's why Mulder was angry. (Basically what you said further back in thread was it. Nothing more to it.) Mulder thought he had betrayed him and Scully.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't Skinner know someone else who smokes?

Nakita Akita likes this.
  9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know Skinner smelled like smoke later on in the episode, but Mulder is hostile toward Skinner before he meets the CSM.

10. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't Mulder try and call Skinner and couldn't get hold of him? Anyways one thing to also think is that this isn't the first human/alien child that Scully had or was created. Remember the girl from that Christmas 2 parter where they thought a young dying girl might have been a child her sister had and didn't tell the family only to find out it was Scullys? I also think Mulder might still be the father because lets not forget he was abducted by aliens as well. His DNA could have been altered in away that Scully could have his child even though she had find out she couldn't have children because of her cancer. It's possible that CMG gave her some kind of shot that would make it possible for her to give birth to altered DNA from Mulder because of what was done to him. If that was the case then it means CMG, with the help of the aliens, was playing a kind the role of a demented Qupid. Also if this child somehow brings a disease that wipes out humanity which is something it seems that CMG wants then maybe he feels that Mulder and Scully will go along with the plan since William is their child.

Jason

11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Yes but Mulder was hostile toward Skinner from the start, so before Skinner met CSM.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, that was a decent episode, but kind of underwhelming. It turns out that the cliffhanger to season 10 was really just a dream-- or a vision-- which was a bit of a letdown.

But we're back into the murky world of the X-Files and all its implications that mankind's time on Earth is fast running out, and that various groups are seeking out either the least worst or most self-serving options. Not being an old-time X-Files fan, I'm not sure how many of these revelations are based on old news, but we were introduced to another Cigarette-Smoking Man and his assistant, who are apparently planning on building a Dyson Sphere-- sounds like a cover story to me. We also learned that aliens have visited Earth, offered us technology and assistance, but were vivisected instead, with the complicity of Cigarette-Smoking Man The First. We also learned that Cigarette-Smoking Man The First is the father of Scully's child, not Mulder-- but I'm taking that one with a grain of salt. And Skinner seems to have cut a deal with CSM the 1st, too, but we didn't see that actually happen, so I'm guessing he's playing both sides.

Other than that, this seemed to be a Very Special Torture Scully episode, because it started off with her having a seizure that brought on her Apocalyptic vision, then leaving the hospital and having another seizure, then driving to endanger and having an accident, then going back to the hospital where CSM 2's handyman tried to kill her with a pillow. Presumably that hospital is an FBI or otherwise government-controlled facility, so I'm wondering why security was so bad, as well as why the big scary hit man was so inept.

And the Moon landings were faked by CSM 1? Is that part of X-Files lore or new?

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

New as far as I'm aware. He's assassinated every government figure ever though.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of the stuff with the aliens we more or less already knew about. CSM and his people working with/for the aliens goes all the way back to the early seasons of the original run.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just glad that they retconned the retcon. Which was itself a retcon of a previous retcon of a retcon.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, me to.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder how I would feel of I ever did a series rewatch?

18. Boomstick

Boomstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was in between jobs for a couple of months before season 10 came out, I did a rewatch for the first time since the second film was released. The mythology episodes become absolute gibberish after a while, and barely even engaging. Not being a Doggett man in my youth, I was surprised how much more entertaining season 8 was after slogging through season 7 where the plot is so convoluted yet so little seems to be happening that Duchoveny looks bored to tears.

I don't buy Chris Carter's current line that he knew CSM was the father back when season 7 came out in 1999 but didn't get to explore that storyline at the time. And even if he did it must have just been a throwaway thought rather than something that was going to factor into to some bigger picture. If there was any real plan about how the mythology episodes were going to play out then the whole story would have been told by now. There's no way Carter would have been banking on the show getting a run of 9 seasons, 2 films and a further 2 revival series.

19. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

It was a disgusting decision on Chris Carter’s part. Especially in light of the recent flack the show has gotten over its treatment of women. There are no female writers, Scully basically reduced to setting up chances for Mulder to monologue and Scully never being given a desk. Now she’s suddenly a rape victim.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  20. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There were two female writers last season; there are three female writers in the current season.