Spoilers Strange New Worlds General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 6, 2020.

1. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We don't know that, the only line to imply it is Mr. Adventure's line about a 20 year career, and we know that's inaccurate because she was in Starfleet before 2265.

Gary Mitchell

2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Great to see it finally start production.

Markonian, KennyB and Orphalesion like this.
  3. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In most prequel type of movies/shows things will be different than what they seemed like in the originals.

Though, then again, I'm a person who thinks that the writers/show runners of this show shouldn't worry at all about what happened or was said in TOS when developing this show.

Also, unrelated to that. The actor for the new doctor is quite handsome. Still I would have hoped for another young, hot guy in the cast, but well...(personally I would have flipped the genders on the doctor and nurse)
    Still hoping very much that "La'an"/Christina Chong's will be an alien.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Colt was in the credits

5. Tuskin38

And nothing in canon says there weren’t any other TOS characters on the Enterprise under Pike.

6. Orphalesion

When it comes down to it, nothing in TOS says all that much about the past of its characters. Uhura didn't even have a first name in the series.
    There is a lot of room to add to and explore those characters without contradicting anything.

7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they respect Trek they got to address the character. I would love to see him as a semi regular or a special guest star. Also some love for the Early Voyages comic character's like the Indian Chief Engineer and the alien communication officer. It's the kind of respect on par with what John Faverau is doing in Star Wars. Heck make Scotty a regular in season 2. Jason

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Based in what? Chekov is the only explicitly green member of the crew. Sulu and Uhura are full lieutenants and probably have a few years of service prior to TOS.
    We've no idea when Uhura joined the crew. She could be a hold over from Pike's crew. She could have joined between the second pilot and the first episode.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the Star Trek people want to hire Indigenous writers, I know of a few people they should look at closely.

Drew Hayden-Taylor (novelist, writer of the SF anthology Take Us To Your Chief)
    Jay Odjick (comics writer/artist, creator of Kagagi the Raven)
    Eden Robinson (writer of the Son of a Trickster trilogy)

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  10. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. Laurel Goodwin was in the credits, but her character remains unnamed:
    [​IMG]

She was certainly named in the script and behind-the-scenes and the original pitch, but it's never once uttered onscreen in The Cage or The Menagerie. Her credit in The Cage (above) and in The Menagerie II (she was uncredited in the first part) doesn't list the character name.

I know. I was surprised too.

The only character, in the history of Star Trek, ever credited as Yeoman Colt is Nicole Dickinson in both parts of Such Sweet Sorrow.

Markonian and Jinn like this.
  11. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

We already saw most of Pike's post-The Cage bridge crew in Such Sweet Sorrow, and none of those actors have returned for SNW, so the series has to take place somewhere on the timeline that could account for turnover.

Addressing responses to my comments from earlier, I may have been accepting as established Canon things that were never actually established, and that's my mistake.

I also need to apologize for my earlier hostility.

I was thinking about the way that the cast quoted the opening monologue of Star Trek The Next Generation, and about the fact that none of the bridge crew actors from Such Sweet Sorrow were brought back, and I think we might be in for a 5-season series that starts in-universe in 2260 and butts up against James Kirk taking command in 2265.

I also think we might be in for some subtle revisioning of TOS history with regards to the story order of that series' first season depending on what the ship's bridge and Command crew looks like by the time SNW finishes up its story.

12. Tuskin38

I think we both thought you were talking about Discovery.

NCC-73515 likes this.
  13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Either would have more acting ability than Robert Beltran did in that role. Of course the writing on Voyager didn't help.

Danja likes this.
  14. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Context is king. The second paragraph was explicit that it was a bait and switch comment referring to Goodwin and not Dickinson:

I would suggest everyone read a full comment before replying based on gut instinct after the first sentence or three.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which still means nothing in terms of what will be decided for the current production.
    I didn't know that. That's interesting. I still don't think the credits mean a whole lot in terms of who is what in Strange New Worlds. I could be wrong but they could take the character of Colt in whatever direction.

Tim Thomason and Orphalesion like this.
  16. Orphalesion

No it doesn't have to. It's completely irrelevant whether any of the extras/small speaking roles from Such Sweet Sorrow return or not.

Nerys Myk and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  17. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Snw doesn't need cameos from the big people of the original crew. And honestly I'm tired of the crutches of old characters. The show doesn't need them.

I'm down for exploring some of the lesser-known on episode Cameo people like m'benga and others.
    leave Sulu Chekhov Scotty all of the original TOS crew out of it.

fireproof78 and Blamo like this.
  18. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The people behind current Star Trek care about narrative and onscreen continuity to a far greater degree than any of the people previously responsible for overseeing the franchise ever did.

Not bringing the bridge crew actors from Such Sweet Sorrow back for SNW was more than likely a choice that was made for more than just practical and logistical reasons, and the narrative is more than likely going to reflect that choice.

Amasov, Markonian and Danja like this.
  19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, they just filled the seats for SSS. I doubt the idea of bring them back ever crossed their mind.

Orphalesion likes this.
  20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Between the time depicted in TOS "The Cage" to "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - The chief medical officer went from Dr. Boyce to Dr. Piper; and then from Dr. Piper to Dr. McCoy; the latter remaining for the rest of the series run.

My point? There's enough time between the ending episode of Star Trek Discovery season 2, and the first episode of Strange New Worlds (hell we saw a pike induct an engineer into his crew in One of the Short Treks); so that they can change whatever crew members were on the Bridge at the end of Star Trek Discovery season 2 without a continuity problem at all.

There's no issue here going forward with whatever crew members they want to remove or include

Markonian, fireproof78 and KennyB like this.