Spoilers The Strange New Worlds Starship Thread™

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Tuskin38, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I get that you’re not seeing what I saw.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not there. The closest any SNW character comes to resembling Jurati is Uhura. And even that's pretty tenuous; none of the SNW characters have the combination of introversion, loneliness, and self-loathing Jurati has.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I don’t know what to tell you. I saw something that you didn’t. I’m not sure what else to say about the matter. The only thing that seemed different to me was that Chapel wore a tight-fitting Starfleet medical uniform, while Jurati wore some large mumu-looking scientist uniform. Everything else seemed similar to me. I can’t help that you didn’t see what I saw. Making an absolute statement such as ‘it’s not there’ is irrelevant to me if I saw it and you didn’t.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Jurati is a whole other kettle of fish. She lacks that swagger that Chapel has, and even when nervous Chapel still manages to assert a confidence during crisis situations throughout the season. Jurati, well, that's a whole other topic.

Sci likes this.
  5. Sci

But you haven't said what similarity you saw other than their hair. You just keep repeating that you saw it without defining what "it" is.

6. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

The Maddox had this to say about Chapel and Jurati.
    [​IMG]

Commander Troi and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I did say it. Her look and her mannerisms reminded me of Jurati. The actresses resemble each other (and not just their hair color), and the way Chapel was speaking to other people gave off a Jurati vibe to me. If you don’t agree, that’s not my problem.

8. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]
    I mean... they're both blonde. Kinda...

Markonian likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both actors are also from former British Colonies. :shrug:

I don't see anything similar between them personality wise either.

10. Sci

What mannerisms?

I mean, they're both white women with dyed blonde hair. That's about it.

In what way? I'm honestly trying to see what you're taking about and I have no idea where you're coming from. What specifically about the way she spoke was similar to Jurati?

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Jesus Christ, dude, get over it. It’s how I felt. I don’t need to justify my feelings to you. Let’s get back to talking about starships already.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the USS Chapel myself.
    [​IMG]
    Source

Rahul, Markonian, publiusr and 6 others like this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That is a very cool Miranda design variation. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that one before.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Cool kitbash. I would've thought a hospital ship would keep both shuttlebays though.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I’m not quite sure how getting rid of one shuttlebay and adding a little fin on top suddenly makes a standard Lantree-type Miranda a hospital ship, but that’s me ;)

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

If I were to guess, the second shuttlebay area was repurposed for planetary mass-casualty events requiring LOTS of multi-level bed spaces, high-volume industrial transporters, and special-needs applications for more alien environmental considerations than the usual Ox/Nit atmospheric requirements. You couldn't provide that kind of customized emergency support inside a conventional shuttle bay.

As for the little fin on top? ... Um... I got nothin'. :D

Edit: Well, now that I look closer, this vessel doesn't appear to have any weapons to speak of. Not even a single bank of defensive phasers. So, I suspect that the fin (along with the other bumpy bits on the dorsal side) is probably an enhanced deflector shield booster, just in case they come under attack from superior forces while performing an evacuation. These objects probably also have the ability to extend shields around other nearby disabled ships being cleared. It could buy them the extra time they need to save everyone and pop smoke. That may be the kind of ship you would want to take into a Kobayashi Maru simulator. It's possible that it could hold its own against 3 K't'inga's before going foom.

While unseen through the outer skin, this ship may also possess thicker under-armor to prevent kinetic attacks as well.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  17. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

83CC34A9-59CD-4671-94FE-1CBA5FA0E444.jpeg
    In an alternate timeline where Pike remains in command of the Enterprise during the Romulan incursion of 2266, Kirk was given command of a starship called USS Farragut NCC-1647.

The class of that alternate future Farragut is coming to Star Trek Online and has received a name: the Farragut class!

For gameplay purposes, it is the tier-6—rated Farragut Temporal Cruiser. Weblink: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11527973

Video link:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Ronald Held and 137th Gebirg like this.
  18. Tuskin38

I have a feeling that it wasn't actually Farragut Class, and Paramount just didn't have a name for it yet, so Cryptic had to come up with a name.

But hey, you never know, maybe someone at production did call it the Farragut Class.

Markonian likes this.
  19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I feel the STO Dev's chickened out here in that we didn't also get the single nacelled USS Archer Scout ship from the premiere episode of SNW.

(IE They don't want to risk the anger of fans of the Gene Roddenberry Starfleet Two Warp Nacelles Rule instituted after he found out Franz Joseph wanted a royalty fee to use is designs from the original Star Trek technical manual in Star Trek The Motion Picture.)

20. Tuskin38

Uh they have the Kelvin from ST09. So that's not true at all.
    They don't have anything against bringing in canon single nacelle designs.

Markonian and Ronald Held like this.