The One Thing You Could Change, VOYAGER Edition...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Farscape One, May 14, 2020.

1. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

"I wont read your post but Ill reply to it" wow how grown up. Also I quite like Chekov

Angry Fanboy likes this.
  2. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Exploring the Gamma Quadrant never really struck me as anything other than a minor part of DS9's premise - certainly by the end of Season Two this was pretty much done away with in favour of the Dominion storyline which would dominate until the series ended.

Even early DS9 seemed to adopt the 'we'll stay here and let people come to us' approach (naturally I suppose given the setting on a static space station).

3. jmidnight_99

jmidnight_99 Captain Captain

To let it go?

That's really a shame. I don't know if you read my "Beatles" post...

"I'm a huge Beatles fan. I'm not a memoribilia collector, but I am kind of a "fact" collector. I own just about every biography or book ever published, and have every every piece of music they released both together an apart. I also have dozens of unofficial releases. As a musician, I've studied their music extensively, the Lennon/McCartney songwriting dynamic in particular. I have also taught university classes on the subject of their music. Several years ago, when the internet was fairly new, I discovered and joined a Beatles-centric forum. The forum was terrible. It seemed everyone was polarized. Instead of realizing how important each songwriter was to the whole, people would put thier "favorite" (usually John of Paul) on a pedestal, and minimize or negate the contribution and talent of the other."

This is all that went on, bickering about who was "better". I got sucked into it to the point that for a while, I was unable to enjoy their music anymore.

Don't let other people's (or you own) negativity ruin something for you.

Shaka Zulu and Doctor Bombay like this.
  4. jmidnight_99

jmidnight_99 Captain Captain

I'm sure, Chuckles. He's a very well-developed character, and Sulu too. Both of them could carry episode after episode. . Did you know Chekov was created to include a younger cast member to appeal to teenage girls? I love that Monkees mop-top hairdo.

5. garakvsneelix

garakvsneelix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, and for just being "for effect", the Voyager scenes took a lot of time. This is something you can critize, although (or maybe even because) you understand, what "the episode told" to you. And of course, you can understand the episode and like it, too. Just because I like or don't like something, there is no reason to think, that I have or haven't understand it.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

And that’s great for the majority of the seasons. But doing all that for the show’s final season instead of focusing on the characters getting back to Earth (which was the entire premise of the show) rather than just having that journey end in the last one minute of the final episode was a cop-out, IMHO.

fireproof78 likes this.
  7. Angry Fanboy

I go back and forth on the idea of showing the Voyager crew reuniting with everyone at home - I don't know that the general audience would have gone for many Earth-based episodes (because that's what they'd need to have been, they couldn't have just gone straight out on missions in the Alpha Quadrant).

I very much doubt Voyager would ever have flown again given the future technology now aboard that would have needed to be quarantined and studied.

8. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well put. But, I have tried to get in to VOY, and I grew up reading articles, and attempted again when my brother found VOY and thought of it as his favorite Trek. Just not connecting with the characters in the majority of episodes. Just a very cerebral experience.

But, that said, I think VOY has the most potential for a unique Trek story than other series. Hence my participation in this thread.

Angry Fanboy likes this.
  9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I would've had Voyager stumble across the remains of the Hera (Captain Silva La Forge's ship) in late season 5 or season 6, with the crew having set up a colony on a not-quite-hospitable planet. But with the demands taking a few hundred other crewmembers onboard being too much for Voyager they'd have to leave them behind. Fast forward to the end of S6/opening of S7 when the ship gets back to Earth, they'd then have at most five episodes back home (covering the crew as they return to see loved ones, Maquis go on trial, Seven being interrogated, ship undergoing massive repair/refit work, etc) before leading a return mission to the Delta Quadrant (using the Borg hub or reverse engineered slipstream drive or some other technobabble) to rescue the remains of the colony, though once they get back then they have to contend with the rise of the Vaadwaur (or some other species that have gone on a power trip over the months that Voyager has been back home).

Angry Fanboy likes this.
  10. Angry Fanboy

I'm not sure how I'd have handled it - the whole premise of VOY was that the crew were lost in the Delta Quadrant trying to get home, so to conclude that and switch to an Alpha Quadrant setting would obviously have been a big, possibly risky change to make.

Perhaps make Endgame a three part episode? With the third part dealing with the crew reuniting with their friends and loved ones etc?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the two you should go some place and have angry sex with each other?

Angry Fanboy likes this.
  12. Tenacity

Once they returned to the alpha quadrant, the story was over, roll credits.
    My long standing opinion is that the majority of the Voyager crew would never want to set foot inside her ever again, and certainly wouldn't want to return to the delta quadrant.

13. Angry Fanboy

This would ultimately be my take on the matter as well. Although I also have a lot of sympathy with the view that seeing some sort of reunion between the characters and the people they left behind would have been nice and provided more closure, rather the series ending with the ship flying towards Earth.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Or, and I know this sounds crazy, but just having the crew get home without any sort of closure defeats the purpose of the audience actually caring about these people and what happens to them. But I suppose those aliens and planets of the week are more important that that. :rolleyes:

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. To me, it cheapens the effect of "We have to get home" when we don't even see the crew reunited with loved ones. It

Angry Fanboy likes this.
  16. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Why? It’s not like they suffered any hardships for those seven years. And if they could now use Borg transwarp conduits to get to the Delta Quadrant and back in seconds instead of 70 years, how is that any different from exploring the Alpha Quadrant? Or the Gamma Quadrant using the Bajoran wormhole?

17. Angry Fanboy

I wouldn't say they didn't suffer any hardships in the seven years they were in the Delta Quadrant.

A not insignificant number of their crewmates perished either during the initial abduction or during the journey. Probably a good few psychological scars picked up along the way. They didn't see their families for seven years and missed out on all kinds of births, children growing up etc.

I tend to agree that they'd want no part of going back there, or at least the vast majority wouldn't.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to agree on this. The crew went through a LOT over the years, not tge least of which thinking it would decades, if ever, to get home. I don't think a lot of them would want to go out in the field again so soon.

Probably the only exceptions would be those with no family or real connections back home. B'Elanna, for one. And Tom pretty much made Voyager his home, so I can see them staying.

Chakotay is another one that would possibly stay aboard. The Maquis are wiped out, he doesn't mention any close living family, his colony is gone.

Seven never really saw Earth as anything other than the goal of the redt of the crew.

Shaka Zulu and Angry Fanboy like this.
  19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I disagree. I don’t think the crew of Voyager suffered any hardships any more than the crew of the Enterprise-D did. Some loss of life is normal during deep space voyages. It’s not like there weren’t lots of redshirts and yellowshirts dying on a regular basis in TOS and TNG.

20. Tenacity

Didn't Janeway's actions destroy that?
    If you were condemed to 70 years in prison (metaphor for Voyager), but were released after 7 years, would you subsequently want to return to that prison to voluntarily live for years?

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Shaka Zulu likes this.