The One Thing You Could Change, ENTERPRISE Edition...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Farscape One, May 14, 2020.

1. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Change Porthos name to "Scraps."

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always assumed they were still around. I like to think they didn't buy what the Sphere Builders were buying, so when they recruited the others they just told them the Avians were extinct.

3. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well they could have still used the Xindi, but instead of them being in an Expanse, just make them far away( which they were anyways) and instead of the sphere builders, have the Romulans pulling the strings of the Xindi and making them attack Earth.

So basically, a good chunck of S3 would be the same, Xindi attack Earth, maybe stick with the superweapon, and same happens, Enterprise goes to find out about them, no "expanse" because there is no sphere builders, Still them going in to the area, finding out more about the Xindi, maybe Future Guy telling Archer instead of the sphere builders, that there is another species pulling the strings. They meet up with Degra, tell him he's being used, and they find out about the Romulans, and how they normaly fight there battles through subterfuge, and proxies if they can.
    at the end, they stop the launch of a fleet ( the Death Star and Transwarp conduits were abit meh) and find out about the Romulan Machinations, and Season 4 leads to more cold war type of aggressions by the Romulans.

Shaka Zulu, Phoenix219 and DarKush like this.
  4. David Hanley

David Hanley Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The constant constant bickering with the Vulcans. OK I get the tensions about not letting Humans off their leash etc, but the constant storyline of needing to do something but the vulcans wont tell us what during the first and second season got a bit dull. If this is going to be a theme at least make it personal, or develop some character around it.

Richard S. Ta and DarKush like this.
  5. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

YES! I thought this even at age 13 when the show came out. Why does 'murica have to be the center if the universe? Even if they wanted an American-freeling main character for the sake of the American audience, he or she could still habe been from Canada, or an off world colony.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I don't really mind the Temporal Cold War so much, but I wish they would have started doing stories more in line with the show's prequel nature a little earlier. Season 4 was great in that regard, but with the exception of a few episodes with the Andorians, the first two seasons were largely just "Trek as usual".

7. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing I would have liked, even if it may have felt gimmicky, would have been to go a lot farther in making the technology less advanced, no transporters (you do need to, can only use shuttles) and also no visual communication, only audio communication channel, I think both of those would have gone a way to making space travel seem more fresh and dangerous (and the overall series more different and fresh) rather than pretty routine.

Oh, or make the Doctor either human rather than an alien (T'Pol the only alien, at least main cast member alien, in the crew to try to make the show more different than the others and more of a prequel) or a much more interesting and less annoying alien.

Falconer likes this.
  8. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

No Berman&Braga.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were Bland.

Jeri Taylor was an actual problem.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  10. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would straight up reverse Archer's xenophobia. I would make Archer weirdly attached to Vulcans and Trip the guy who has an issue with them. Archer is a bit of an xenophiliac and all to eager to get out there and learn something. He is the guy who hires Phlox and T'Pol, perhaps edging out some human crew members. You could still do the scene with the Vulcan monastary but he's SHOCKED and disappointed the Vulcans are shifty because he really thought they were the best.

11. Bork359

Bork359 Lieutenant Newbie

Instead of saying "dismissed" they said "fuck off." This works for any Trek series.

12. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another change I'd make that is cheating?

The Writers are not allowed to make any planet like it is in the 24th century

* If they visit Risa, it's not a tourist planet. Make it a bunch of native peoples that are going to get taken over by a hostile Tanderian power that plans to make it a vacation planet and our heroes fail to stop it.
    * If you meet Klingons, make them all a bunch of scientists and disciplined soldiers who talk about how lame the old ways were.

And so on.

13. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

When I add up all the unused concepts for Enterprise and put them together…
    • Captain Jackson Archer, intellectual who has lived on Vulcan
    • Sub Commander T’Pau
    • Spike Tucker from Oklahoma
    • Lt. Joe Mayweather and his space boomer experience utilised
    • The conflictual relationship Hoshi Sato and T’Pau
    • 30-something Hispanic comms officer
    • Asexual Denobulans
    • Reed being gay
    • No transporters, and no phasers
    • Boybands
    • No Klingons whatsoever
    • First season set entirely on Earth
    • Different NX-class design
    • Romulan BoP with its bird aesthetic
    • Archer's girlfriend Becky and friend Tommy
    • First contact with the Orions in the Delphic Expanse
    • Archer removed by the end of the third season for a younger face
    • The birth of the Federation lasting several seasons instead of being rushed during season 4
    • Starfleet Command destroyed by Terra Prime, while baby Elizabeth lives
    • Trip lives and survives TATV
    • The Kziniti, and the origins of the Borg Queen in season 5
    • The Earth-Romulan War starting by season 5
    • Shran joins the crew by season 5
    • Some story connecting Reed to Colonel Green
    • A whole season in the mirror universe
    • T’Pol being revealed as half-Romulan
    • William Shatner, either as chef or appearing in the mirror universe
    • A full seven season run
    • Archer’s theme as the intro theme
    It sounds like a very interesting show. I would have liked to have seen this Enterprise.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Bry_Sinclair and DarKush like this.
  14. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

after rewatching it over the summer I thought an interesting tweak would have been to Travis.

Instead of making him a young ensign, make him an older guy and Archers XO (or 3rd officer behind T’Pol). Then you make Archer just a tick younger (but not some arrogant hotshot) and have Travis be resentful that as a more experienced man/officer he is passed over for command in favor of the younger man but over the course of the show Travis becomes more of a mentor as he sees why Starfleet picked him for Enterprise.

you could even keep his Boomer background. Maybe he was a Captain who’s ship was destroyed and he was given a commission.

the only issue is that it does take some from T’Pol.

nightwind1 and Farscape One like this.
  15. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Mayweather should have been the opposite of every character, to prevent him from taking from any character.

While Archer was Earth-centric, ignorant, bigoted to Vulcans and liked water polo. Whereas Mayweather actually lived on Vulcan for a couple of years, and is a bit of an intellectual, but isn’t used to being near any bodies of water having lived is space his whole life.

T’Pol has a Vulcan approach that’s by the book and at times theoretical, while Mayweather – while far more respectful towards her and Vulcans in general - has a human centric approach that based in reality and gets where the human crew is coming from.

Trip has trouble adjust to strange cultures, while Mayweather embraces them when in the same situation. While Mayweather adapts to the learning curve of working on a warp 5 engine (as opposed to a warp 2 engine) while working with Trip.

Reed has trouble dating other women, so Mayweather gives him some pointers. Reed in turn helps him in the firing range as Mayweather has never wields a gun before and views being in space battles his least favourite part of being a space boomer.

Sato has trouble adjusting to living in space, Mayweather helps her build her confidence and encourages her to get her bearings in the sweet spot. Sato, in return, helps him master dialects of various species he’s met before.

Phlox is overly optimistic and into alternative medicine, while Mayweather is measured and prefers standard earth medicine

Admiral Forest represents Starfleet politics, while Mayweather is representative of the politics of the Earth Cargo Authority

Soval has open skepticism of Earth and humans, while Mayweather has quiet skepticism of Vulcan and Vulcans.

Emery Erickson sees the transporter as the future. Mayweather wonders how many freighter jobs will be lost because of this new tech.

Even with angry and gruff Klingons characters, Mayweather is wisecracking, like what we briefly saw near the end in “Detained”.

16. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Did Mayweather ever make a mistake? If he did, I don't remember it. He was a very experienced and very capable space. I make him, Data, and Harry as the three characters who were robbed the worst, in terms of promotion.

nightwind1 and WarpTenLizard like this.
  17. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

I think you could make a case that all three of the forgotten bridge crew got the shaft in that regard considering the time jump in the finale. Hoshi, Travis and Reed all should have had promotions.

18. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Well, presuming that (1) there are no "hollow-pip" ranks in 2150's Starfleet, and (2) the holodeck on "These are the Voyages" was using outdated images of the characters, Hoshi and Reed can be excused. Mayweather, because he was a seasoned spacefarer and outstanding at his job, should have been fast-tracked.

19. Pikirk_Janesisko

Pikirk_Janesisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If there's one thing I would like to change was the constant rehashing and retreads of the same types of stories from other series. S1 and S2 was dreadful experience for me. Most episodes had the exact same stories that was done better on either one of the previous series.

WarpTenLizard likes this.
  20. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Okay, but you'll have to come up with a good arc story for the show, then.

That's a good one, and it would've stretched Archer's character more (as well as expand the acting ability of Scott Bakula.)

Mayweather especially, as all he got character wise was one episode in which he's in tears because of the death of his dad (I liked that moment, BTW), and he revisits his family ship.

I wouldn't have done so, either; 9/11 was better dealt with in Star Trek Into Darkness anyway (although I did like the sub-arc of Tucker dealing with his sister's death.)

I'm sorry, but that takes away from the accomplishment of humanity creating warp drive for itself to go into space, and it also makes humans so incompetent that they can't even improve warp drive on their own (albeit with a little help from the Vulcans.) Other technologies could be got from other worlds, however.

What you said reminds me of an article in the old Official Star Trek Fan Club magazine (a German fan was profiled in one issue; she said that she'd loved to see a German character on a future Star Trek show.)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021