The movie franchise after Bad Robot/Pine

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Danlav05, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Reimagined.

2. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Well.

I didn't expect this thread to be relevant so soon!

3. picardjean-luc

picardjean-luc Captain Captain

Agreed. Perhaps the new Picard series can be followed up with a movie, featuring not just the TNG, but also DS9 and VOY crews??

4. picardjean-luc

Well, there's the new Picard series soon. If it's successful (and that's a big 'if'), it can be extended into a movie by TPTB I suppose.

5. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

I think it's time for JJ to go bye bye. I don't know which is worse the Abramsverse or the Kutzmanverse. They are equal disasters. I really should say traumas to the franchise. I hope it recovers. It needs a big dose of Roddenberry. Then, maybe..

picardjean-luc likes this.
  6. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

If CBS gets the rights "back", they're going to end the Kelvin timeline and just focus on the "real" timeline.

Tai likes this.
  7. Tai

Tai Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mark my words:

CBS and Viacom will merge with a comprise board of directors (in two years). Les Moonves will get a massive buyout (nevermind). Shari Redstone will take her controlling stake and sell the new re-combined company to the highest bidder...whoever that may be.

Star Trek 4 will be rewritten to write out Chris Hemsworth.They will have Pine reprise the role of Kirk, who will settle for somewhere between what his post-Beyond deal promised him and what they're offering now.

The movie will wrap up the Kelvin timeline and will be the last one to feature Pine/Quinto/Saldana and Co--unless of course it has a MASSIVE box office. Probably the magic number is 500 million.

The Tarantino movie will never get made.

When the merger occurs they will name a Star Trek czar. This will be a role similar to Rick Berman's in the 1990's-2000's. It could be Alex Kurtzman, it could be JJ Abrams, it could be someone else entirely.

This person's team will be responsible for managing all aspects of the IP. Streaming televison, feature films, publishing, video games, comics etc.

All feature films will be spin-offs or movie versions of Star Trek: Discovery the Picard show, the Reliant show (which may be made after the merger) and whatever properties are created by the Kurtzman/All Access/Netflix deal of the next five years.

My guess is the next feature film after Star Trek 4 will be related to the characters in the Picard show.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I cannot imagine any scenario where they feature TV/streaming characters in the movies. That would be like if Jessica Jones showed up to save the day in Infinity War.

seigezunt and BillJ like this.
  9. Tai

^ I think that's just the thing. I believe Paramount is seeing Star Trek's ceiling when it comes to blockbusters.

They might be better off making smaller movies more frequently than asking for a billion dollars on a 250 million budget every four years.

10. F. King Daniel

Yes but I can't see many people being happy to pay an extra $10 to see Patrick Stewart or whoever when they're already paying $6.99 a month to see him. Seperate crews, continuities and very little crossover a la the MCU, keeping the movies "special" is the only way to keep them viable. Otherwise they might as well be All Access versions of Netflix's straight-to-streaming movies.

picardjean-luc and BillJ like this.
  11. Tai

^ You raise excellent points.

I don't really know why it's necessary anymore to have a franchise on film and on TV. I can't think of a single one that gets it right. For all the MCU's success, the Netflix shows are self contained, and while Agents of Shield had great potential as a companion show to the MCU, I tired of its constant name dropping and references without having any significant impact on the larger universe.

The DCEU and Arrowverse as another example feel like a hot mess. Two Flashes, Two Supermans, Teen Titans without Cyborg... No Batman in the Arrowverse. It's all so disjointed. I kinda feel like that's where Discovery is going with casting a new Spock and Pike. While I understand why, it's just not as elegant. It breaks the illusion of a shared universe in my eyes. Maybe it's just me.

If Netflix is paying for a 10-million-dollar-per-episode television show, why do we need a film franchise too? I thought First Contact was a great example of what Star Trek could be with feature film production values. Better sets, better CGI with ILM, better make-up. I thought the next movie would be a Dominion War film, with Star Wars caliber space battles. Sacrifice of Angels x100. But they opted for a smaller more episodic film in Insurrection. Nemesis had a great third act, and a nice ship-on-ship battle, but really struck out on some of the character moments. The new films, while fun adventures didn't meaningfully move the story forward-- that's what I'd want out of films.

Do the big crossovers, the universe-changing storyline that sets the tone for the next two seasons of TV across all the shows. The stuff that the writers would love to do but couldn't dream of doing on a TV budget.

12. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

It will eventually get rebooted again, and the people who howled about the JJ films are going to look back with nostalgia at them.

13. F. King Daniel

Zachary Quinto is the only true Spock!!!!!!:mad::mad:

14. Red Panda

Red Panda Commander Red Shirt

If CBS buys a studio like Lionsgate, I expect the movies to move "back" to CBS and produced out of their new Toronoto studio, and released by Lionsgate.

15. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Marvel does well enough, not that I want CBS to mimic that approach, but it is a success, because I love Daredevil and some of the Defenders things, and the they are enjoyable between films.

It isn't necessary, per se, but it is wise in terms of diversifying the market place. I know plenty of people who do not watch Marvel films but thoroughly love the Netflix shows, as well as the reverse. It is not a perfect, on-to-one, cross over of those who watch the films and watch on TV/streaming. The market is diverse and the major players, specifically under Disney's auspices, have recognized that fact.

Tai likes this.
  16. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

unless, they wait abit and just do the QT Trek as ST4 :)

Tai likes this.
  17. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

imagine if LiS'98 had been a big success. - 2 LiS sequels. and big budget movies of Voyage/Giants/Time Tunnel! (maybe leading to an Irwin Allen 'Avengers' movie)

Kerock likes this.
  18. Kerock

Kerock Commander Red Shirt

I thought they were going to make Orville Movies instead......JK
    [​IMG]

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

20. picardjean-luc

I'll watch it.
    :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::hugegrin::hugegrin::hugegrin::D:D:D