Spoilers The Matrix Resurrections discussion and reviews

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Saul, Dec 17, 2021.

?

How do you rate The Matrix Resurrections?

1. 10: The One

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 9: Neo. I believe

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. 8: Dodge this

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. 7: Have a cookie

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. 6: All I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. 5: The blue pill or the red one?

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. 4: Everything that has a beginning has an end

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. 3: Never send a human to do a machine's job

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. 2: I know this steak doesn't exist

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  10. 1: The prohecy was false

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  11. 0: Goodbye Mr. Anderson

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

We know the Machines have access to Fusion and they must be able to harness geo thermal energy like Zion does. They have no need for Humans as a power source so why are their power plants failing?

I would of rather had the Machine Civil War due to one side not trusting Humans eventually attacking them after being set free versus the ones who want to live in harmony with us. Not about the need for energy supply.

2. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Pretty much this. I went in with little knowledge or expectation and was pleasantly surprised. For the record, I liked all 3 previous movies. :hugegrin:

Agreed on all points. I saw the Merovingian as anyone of any age who automatically goes to "the original was better" when confronted with anything new.

Yes! I really loved the whole idea of Neo and Trinity changing the world in a different way than they expected, because that's life. We usually never know how our actions effect others. I'm lucky enough to have had a friend tell me how just being myself inspired them to be themselves. I'd never have guessed!

I think it's because The Analyst uses the insights he gains from studying their minds to keep refining the Matrix.

I believe he's a new program that replaced the Architect.

Yes, I loved that too. IRL, companies find ways to merchandise everything, stripping things of their original meaning(s) in the process. It drives me nuts!

Thanks for the essay! It helped me see why parts of the movie resonated so strongly for me.

Additionally, I *adored* how Trinity (and Bugs and Lexy) were treated in this movie! Not just "hot badass chicks in leather" but more fully realized humans. I also loved seeing a woman my age finding and taking her power.

3. The Knappos

The Knappos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I wish that we were getting sequels and another Animatrix to expand on some of the changes. I'd love to see a story about the first machines to side with the humans or the founding of IO, I like to think that it's on the same site as the first machine city Zero One.

There was just so many things I loved about the movie. But just the love that Lana has for the characters of Neo and Trinity is palpable. That they're able to see themselves and each other as they really are despite the false appearances assigned to them by the Matrix was a wonderful detail. I really liked that both of them are The One, building on how Trinity's love is what made Neo the One and guided his actions throughout the sequels.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

Saul likes this.
  6. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

I assumed the statue was to commemorate the site of the worlds greatest (sweatiest) orgy

Commander Troi likes this.
  7. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Unicorns you forgot to mention they flew on unicorns

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did enjoy this, but I did have one complaint.

Jonathan Groff's Agent Smith I could not take seriously. For some reason, I kept picturing him as Dennis Reynolds from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia playing Agent Smith :lol:

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my only true complaint is that I felt that both Jonathan Groff and Neil Patrick Harris had public personas that were too strong for me to feel like they were truly becoming the characters they were playing. I felt like I was watching King George from Hamilton and Barney from How I Met Your Mother.

Turd Ferguson and Morpheus 02 like this.
  10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, yeah, they nailed it:

Saul, Mr. Adventure and Jax like this.
  11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see Matrix move away from Neo/Trinity. I'd love to see a TV show set during the creation of AI and the War that followed with the ending seeing the creation of the Matrix as our prison. Basically Caprica but Matrix.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Taking The Matrix and mining it for traditional sci fi stories completely misses the purpose of these movies. It was never really about the story you see on screen...

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

They already covered that with "The Second Renaissance, Parts I & II" in The Animatrix (2003).

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved this movie so much. It was pure 'Memberberries but they're like my favourite thing. The callbacks were so well done, very stream of consciousness. The moment where Smith yelled "Mister Andersooooon!" and it cut back and forth between Hugo Weaving's version and Jonathan Groff was genius. The end, with people diving out of windows and off roofs to torpedo Neo and Trinity? Holy shitballs. Plus, 50something lovestory.

The only weird thing is that Neo made a videogame Matrix trilogy but every clip of it shown was clearly from movies not games. Perhaps they just had the biggest budget 90's style FMV sequences ever and we never saw gameplay.

Avalon and EnderAKH like this.
  15. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I absolutely loved the fuck out of this movie. Watched it yesterday, and honestly will probably rewatch somewhere this week. I'm not to write long essays as movie reviews, but I'll just say that for me, this was a great movie that works with the story and concept of the original trilogy

F. King Daniel and EnderAKH like this.
  16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Like 2 and 3, it does get better on rewatches.

17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm one of the weirdo's that always liked 2 and 3 from the get-go.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  18. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I quite liked a lot of Reloaded, but Resolutions always left me cold, and it was a disappointing end for me.

So I finally saw Resurrections, and enjoyed it for the most part, and gave it a 7. I really loved the ending, and it left me with a better feeling than Resolutions. ;)

The film had some great meta moments in the first half, and there were lots of great quips from characters that were funny.

I felt a bit unnecessary, but I enjoyed it for what it was.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Finally saw this, borrowed from the library. There's usually a long waiting list when I reserve a recent movie DVD from the library, but there was no wait at all for this, so I wonder if that says something about its reception by the audience.

Anyway, I thought it was reasonably good for the most part. Obviously very meta and self-referential, but that was good in its way, because it wasn't just trying to copy the original formula but was doing something different with its elements. And in some ways, it critiqued the originals' mindset, by challenging the concept of binaries like humans-vs.-machines. Really, I'm surprised they didn't do more with that theme. It's always been a trans narrative, but it doesn't have to be as coded now as it was then. I thought there'd be more with Smith as the embodiment of the binary mindset, countered by the heroes arguing for a more flexible way of defining things. And I thought Smith would end up changing sides to symbolize the rejection of the binary. There was a temporary alliance, but it didn't stick.

I did love it that humans and machines are now coexisting, and I wish we'd gotten more with the synthients. Kujaku in particular was beautiful. (The name is Japanese for peacock.) Jessica Henwick, Yahya Abdul-Mahteen II, and Neil Patrick Harris were all excellent.

Unfortunately, I found a lot of the story vague and hard to follow. I didn't think it was made very clear just what the threat was, or what the stakes were, beyond Neo saving Trinity. Something to do with the Analyst having his own Matrix, but it was all kind of abstract. When they unplugged Trinity, I had no idea what they were trying to do by plugging in Bugs in her place. And the action climax that followed made no sense to me at all. I had no idea whether the mass attack against the heroes was the will of the Analyst, Smith, or something else. Smith seemed to have blown the Analyst apart and taken over, but then Smith suddenly turned into someone else who said "What just happened?" and then Smith wasn't there anymore. So I had no idea which of them was behind the attack. It's a badly written action climax when the viewer doesn't even know who the heroes are fighting or why. I also literally couldn't tell which side the Merovingian and his allies were fighting for in the climax. And I didn't understand why Neo and Trinity had to stay in the Matrix and go through that huge chase and shootout, when Neo had said just minutes earlier that there were people waiting to unplug him at a moment's notice. Why not just unplug both of them?

And in retrospect, I agree with earlier comments in this thread that the action sequences were fairly cursory compared to what I expect from a Wachowski production (though with the usual excess of gunplay which is my least favorite aspect of their work). The whole thing seemed dingy and low-budget compared to the slick originals.

20. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn’t know you could borrow movies at libraries.
    Considering movies like Matrix are on streaming services, I could see why there would be no waiting list for it.