Spoilers The Marvels grade and discussion

How do you rate The Marvels?

• Total voters
The first MCU Captain Marvel film came out between Infinity War (where the Character had a quick cameo in the IW End Credits scene); so I think that timing & cameo really helped that film boost its box office.

But now that we've seen the character, I don't think the character ever had the popularity of characters like say Spiderman; so yeah, in addition to lack of promotion due to the SAG/AFTRA strike, there wasn't much buzz/draw beyond the base MCU fan base. The general audience just didn't see a reason not to at best wait for it to hit Streaming.:shrug:

As I recall they had a sequence in the end credits with her showing up on screen. Yes the logo made an appearance, but that was before the end credits scene.
That was the Captain Marvel movie itself. Nick being dusted and Carol's logo showing up on the pager was the only end credits scene in Infinity War.

Last edited:
As I recall they had a sequence in the end credits with her showing up on screen. Yes the logo made an appearance, but that was before the end credits scene.
IW ends with Nick Fury sending a message to her on his, er, Superheroberry. He tries to say "motherfucker" but gets snapped before he can say it.

Related to the outrage brigade, something I've been thinking about is why they care so much about gender, but not race.

No one gave Black Panther any shit. No one gave Marvel shit for setting Sam up as the next Captain America. No one claims that Marvel is no longer making "stories for us." as a result.

Is it because black male action leads are not threatening to the internalized ideas of masculine power these dudes have?

Like, if they had decided to make Steven Strange - a character who fights with his mind, rather than his body - black, do you think we would have seen more pushback from the troll contingent?

Excuse me, what?! I'm a Black American male, and you seriously are asking if there are people not threatened by Black males in this country even today? Have you ever heard of the "angry Black man" stereotype or "scary Black man" trope? Within the realm of fiction, Falcon as Captain America has gotten pushback. If I recall, Nick Spencer even had people declaring that Wilson was not their Captain America as a running thing during his Falcon as Captain America comics. When Anthony Mackie became Captain America in the MCU, Chris Evans came out and tweeted that Wilson is Captain America. He did that to end whatever debates or griping there was about the change.

There is still some griping about the first Black Panther movie, but that movie was too good and too popular for them to really get much traction in trying to down it. The most I'll hear sometimes is someone claiming it was overrated.

All the whining about "woke" didn't come because of gender necessarily, that came out of misappropriating a term from Black American culture, and then using it to dismiss anything that the person hurling it didn't like.

One thing that the MCU has done to avoid much disquiet about Black males is often to make their Black male characters best friends or sidekicks to whites, and if not that, very respectful/helpful to the white heroes or other white characters.

Race is still a trigger in the pop culture wars. If a Black actor is ever cast as James Bond, see how the internet will react.

Scary Black Man - TV Tropes
"Angry Black Man" Stereotype - TV Tropes

Excuse me, what?! I'm a Black American male, and you seriously are asking if there are people not threatened by Black males in this country even today? Have you ever heard of the "angry Black man" stereotype or "scary Black man" trope? Within the realm of fiction, Falcon as Captain America has gotten pushback. If I recall, Nick Spencer even had people declaring that Wilson was not their Captain America as a running thing during his Falcon as Captain America comics. When Anthony Mackie became Captain America in the MCU, Chris Evans came out and tweeted that Wilson is Captain America. He did that to end whatever debates or griping there was about the change.

There is still some griping about the first Black Panther movie, but that movie was too good and too popular for them to really get much traction in trying to down it. The most I'll hear sometimes is someone claiming it was overrated.

All the whining about "woke" didn't come because of gender necessarily, that came out of misappropriating a term from Black American culture, and then using it to dismiss anything that the person hurling it didn't like.

One thing that the MCU has done to avoid much disquiet about Black males is often to make their Black male characters best friends or sidekicks to whites, and if not that, very respectful/helpful to the white heroes or other white characters.

Race is still a trigger in the pop culture wars. If a Black actor is ever cast as James Bond, see how the internet will react.

Scary Black Man - TV Tropes
"Angry Black Man" Stereotype - TV Tropes

Just came to mind, but it was several years ago that Michael B. Jordan cast as Johnny Storm got a lot of backlash on the internet. It's just the movie overall was seen as so awful that that reaction was just thrown in with the mass disapproval of that film. If WB's Black Superman movie had happened (especially if there was a Black Clark Kent, I could see a similar internet backlash).

Ian Fleming would be the first to protest considering he wrote his character as a racist.

Just came to mind, but it was several years ago that Michael B. Jordan cast as Johnny Storm got a lot of backlash on the internet.

And here. Search the threads. There was a lot of comments like, "I'm not a racist, but Johnny and Sue are supposed to be biological sibs."

Just came to mind, but it was several years ago that Michael B. Jordan cast as Johnny Storm got a lot of backlash on the internet. It's just the movie overall was seen as so awful that that reaction was just thrown in with the mass disapproval of that film. If WB's Black Superman movie had happened (especially if there was a Black Clark Kent, I could see a similar internet backlash).
Of the on screen Johnnys we seen, I like his take best.

Well no. WW84 came out in the midst of the Virus restrictions (Dec 2020), day and date release on HBOMax.

The movie business landscape is essentially back to a stable place now. Especially after Mario, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Guardians, etc this year.

The fault of "The Marvels" is in the film itself, and it's lack of appeal to mainstream movie goers.

Well, Cpt. Marvel and her sidekicks are not box office draws - that much is certain. The first one rode the wave of the Infinity Saga mania and - with the Infinity War post-credit scene - was framed as a must-see event before Endgame.

I think more broadly, The Marvels is paying for the sins of Phase 4. It is the culmination of several misfires and miscalculations on the part of the studio. Your average movie goer just doesn't care anymore. Phase 4 was always going to be a tricky one following the definitive and successful conclusion Endgame delivered.

To really put into perspective how bad its performance is: it's been in release for seven days and STILL hasn't made as much as The Flash did in its opening weekend - both films carrying similarly bloated budgets. It is turning into a truly history setting performance and is arguably the bigger story than the movie itself.

Reviewer Dan Murrell did a video titled "If I Ran Marvel..." and offered what I consider a fairly reasonable set of ideas for the studio moving forward (link).

To really put into perspective how bad its performance is: it's been in release for seven days and STILL hasn't made as much as The Flash did in its opening weekend - both films carrying similarly bloated budgets. It is turning into a truly history setting performance and is arguably the bigger story than the movie itself.

The Flash had the backing from Michael Keaton as Batman boosting it, The Marvels had next to no promotions and backing.

Back