The Last Jedi - Actually Widely Hated?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by crookeddy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

My point is not that hard to understand. SW was a cool western like space fantasy. With very cool characters.
    Holdo doesn't qualify.
    Mara Jade, if featured in films, might however.

2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

So you're saying that Holdo isn't cool enough?

Spot261 likes this.
  3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

you could say that, if that's how you want to phrase it.

Her character, what she is seems to be about, what she is doing .. her role in the story, everything.. just seems out of step with the SW universe for me. You might think she fits in, but I think she sticks out like a sore thumb. I mean you might be able to explain why the character works or can work, but I would not be interested in that.. she just feels out of step with what I like about Star Wars

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

With a galaxy of millions of worlds, if it's ever the case that each new film doesn't expand the part of the SW universe that's visible to us in at least some way, including the presentation of what the various kinds of people who live in it are, then the series will be creatively defunct.

BillJ likes this.
  5. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

There’s room for all sorts in a galaxy far, far away. Even purple haired hippies. And Holdo’s not exactly a character you’re supposed to initially like or trust.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Or maybe I just don't find her interesting.. or like the kind of character she is. Same I don't watch a lot of shows.. not interested.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There was nothing wrong with Holdo as a character. Poe's dislike of her was arbitrary and contrived. In fact, Holdo's escape plan to Crait was solid and would have worked perfectly if not for Poe's idiotic actions. And Holdo was under zero obligation to share anything with Poe, especially after he disobeyed Leia's direct order in the previous battle.

Masiral and USS Firefly like this.
  8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Leia kind of approved the bombing run.. unless you think those bombers came out of nowhere

9. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

What did the originals say on their own?

10. Campe

You don’t have to like the character. You don’t have to find her interesting. You could just choose to ignore the parts about Star Wars you don’t like.

I agree. But the first time I saw the movie before I realized what she was doing, I certainly thought she was hiding something. That’s, admittedly, from years of having our heroes trusted by all. I appreciate Holdo. I like the Poe storyline a lot in TLJ. And as spectacular of a sacrifice as she had, I do wish we would have gotten more of Holdo.

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I just want SW to have an edge to it. Heroes, villains, or disreputable bounty hunters. Maybe other kinds of characters. I remember when when SW was "cool" .. take that for what you will.. but Holdo doesn't fit. I remember seeing a lot of fan art, epic looking osters fans made for these sequels, before they came out, and (just my opinion) we didn't get that.

I think Sw is best when the story is simple, when the universe is rough, when you can mix badass and heroes, .. and the spectacle of war.

That's what I like.. and I'm open to liking more about the SW universe.. but it also means I know what I don't like and that is ok too

Overall I liked Chapter One of the Mandalorian despite the fact that there was a lot I didn't like about it specifically

12. Campe

Let’s not discuss The Mandalorian in this thread please. There is a dedicated thread to do so. Some of us will not get to watch it for a better part of the day. It’s 2:30am where I am and the only reason I’m awake now is because of a teething baby.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Disengage now, Commander. That is an order." is not any kind of approval. No one's saying you have to like the film. But that's just silly.

As for where the bombers came from, I would assume that Leia was prepared to carry out the attack, should the evacuation not have been completed. But the evacuation did get completed before committing to the attack, so the attack was no longer necessary. That's really not that hard to understand, is it?

Spot261 and Turtletrekker like this.
  14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

It might be hard for Rian to understand.. methinks

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Back when it was primarily white and male.

Spot261 likes this.
  16. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

She fits in the mould of Mon Mothma one would think, an aloof but well respected female authority figure outside of our usual gang but clearly viewed as having earned strategic precedence at some point in the big wide universe of SW. With regard to rogues TLJ has DJ. Splicers were a major part of the old EU and have so far not made it on screen, he's also morally ambiguous much like many SW characters when you get down to it.

It seems the above post and this:

are contradictory. Do you object to it being more complex or do you object to it being simple and lacking in a message?

BillJ likes this.
  17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Both! Neither! The womens and brown people!

Spot261 likes this.
  18. Campe

Norman, coordinate!

[​IMG]

Also, this is not the kind of Star Wars I want:
    [​IMG]

(Sorry, was looking at my Imgur account.)

Masiral, Spot261 and BillJ like this.
  19. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

She was out of place and unnecessary.

You already had akbar and leia. To kill off akbar so dismisvly immediately made me hostile to the character and sliding leia into the background put me off as well.

Then there is the fact she lacked any sort of military discipline or military competence. The audience had zero reason to trust her.
    You just killed off ackbar and Leia then bring in a new character that doesn't act or look like admiral? Military officers in combat dont wear long fancy dresses , its dangrous.

She maybe would of worked as a senator like mon mothma.

At the very least they could of stuck her in a practical military style uniform.

20. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Mon motha though was a political figure and not a military leader.
    Leia ended up more the combat orientated leader of the rebellions along with akbar.

Holdo would of fitted the part of politician well.

She just didn't work well as a admiral.