The High Republic: A more civilized age...

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Nightowl1701, Feb 25, 2020.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think it would have to be really popular, as the market for that kind of stuff just isn't what it was in the past.

Markonian likes this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Markonian likes this.
  3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

At the very least you might see some stuff from the niche oriented specialty/collector outlets, if not the wider-market stuff like Lego.

Markonian likes this.
  4. fireproof78

They did some runs for "The Old Republic" MMO, as well as several different book action figures (Revan, Bane, Mara Jade, Republic Trooper). They did a big push with the Mandalorian. They have a great outlet in the Disney stores.

I would not be surprised if they did some runs.

Markonian likes this.
  5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The Black Series will almost certainly get some figures. They even made a Jaina Solo figure after Disney bought the franchise, hopefully they’ll make a Jacen at some point.

6. BillJ

How well did it sell?

7. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I can imagine them doing a video game tie-in at the least as part of the series that includes novels, children's books, and comic books. It will possibly also include roleplaying game materials, and if it does, there may be some design work done for craft, characters, droids, and locations, thus visuals for a computer game. They could get away with this if they have no intend of making films or cartoons of this era.

Markonian likes this.
  8. fireproof78

Well enough that there were a couple of variations, as well as a statue.

Plus Revan, and Bane. And I think the Old Republic Lego sets did well, so there is plenty of precedent for them to do so.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They have that exact passage on dealing with Palpatine on IGN:
    "All the vials were empty of liquid save one, which was nearly depleted. Kylo peered closer. He'd seen this apparatus before, too, when he'd studied the Clone Wars as a boy. The liquid flowing into the living nightmare before him was fighting a losing battle to sustain the Emperor's putrid flesh."

"What could you give me?" Kylo asked. Emperor Palpatine lived, after a fashion, and Kylo could feel in his very bones that this clone body sheltered the Emperor's actual spirit. It was an imperfect vessel, though, unable to contain his immense power. It couldn't last much longer."
    I'm really hoping for a video game. I would love to see something along the lines of Fallen Order set in this era.

Markonian likes this.
  10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I suspect they're holding fire on decisions to roll out merchandise and other tie-in media until the sales figures from the initial run comes in. There's probably going to be *some* regardless, but it's a bit of a gamble to roll out a lit of merchandise for an almost entirely original subset of the IP unless they're sure people will actually buy it.

Video games (not counting little mobile games and the like) take about as long to make as movies (sometimes longer) so if one isn't at least in the pre-produciton phases *right now*, you're looking at a minimum 3 year turnaround.

In theory I could see them doing a High Republic tie-in with a 'Jedi: Fallen Order' sequel. Maybe have the characters from the first game hunting down High Republic relics, trying to preserve lost Jedi knowledge/keep it from the Empire. Maybe even do an Assasins Creed kind of thing where half the game is in the Skywalker Era like the original game, and the other half is a flashback to a new Jedi character in the High Republic.

Markonian likes this.
  11. Awesome Possum

It was a chase figure, but seemed to sell out. I managed to get two, one to keep on my desk and one to keep in the box. She’s my favorite character. I only saw one other figure in stores and got it for a friend who’s a collector.

12. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She's my favorite character, too. My parents got me one for my birthday last year, and now she stands on my desk next to TLJ Rey.

As for High Republic merch, I think Funko Pops will probably be the first to come out. Easy to make and fairly inexpensive, they'd probably be a good barometer for how well other merch would sell.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I haven't bought a Star Wars toy since I was a kid, but that one tempted me. Still kinda does since I got given an amazon voucher a while back and no clue what to spend it on.
    One thing about it that seemed a little odd though: she appears to be wearing heels...in a flightsuit...

Awesome Possum likes this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mentioning mobile games reminds of one thing I would not be surprised to see, The Higher Republic content in the pre-exisiting mobile games. I'm pretty sure at least one of them has Aphra as a character, so they have incorporated characters from outside the movies and shows.
    That last part sounds like a really cool idea.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I think it'd also be a neat way to deal with the potential game mechanic/narrative dissonance that would result in having Cal level his abilities up all over again. However, if her were using his psycometry ability to "relive" the training of a long dead padawan from the High Republic then that'd be a handy excuse to both start over (mechanically speaking) and maybe introduce some new gameplay features.
    It'd also be economical in terms of map design since you could have Cal et al exploring old ruins that you also get to explore in their pristine condition back in the High Republic sections of gameplay.

16. Awesome Possum

An actual High Republic game could be fun. Have an open world game set on some planet with a Jedi keeping the peace.

Jedi_Master, Reverend and fireproof78 like this.
  17. fireproof78

Markonian likes this.
  18. BillJ

Markonian and Campe like this.
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw someone complaining on twitter about the ideas written on the white board in the trailer, underlining what they thought was 'woke' and they underlined 'Dinosaurs'

Apparently Dinosaurs are 'woke' now.

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

No they are saying that writing "Diversity" twice is woke.. and likely that "dinosaurs" is silly