Spoilers The Expanse Season 6

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Wormhole, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The series is well-written. Gonna take my time watching the rest of the show.

Neopeius likes this.
  2. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been finding some of the stuff repetitive in the last couple of books - situations, resolutions, and discussions between characters - but I'm still really enjoying it.

Markonian likes this.
  3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone who saw the Flash Gordon and other serials of the 30s and 40s that WERE being aired on TV at the time STAR WARS (1977) came out, knew EXACTLY what George Lucas was trying to emulate; but like many said, the movie stood well enough on its own that no, it didn't feel like a middle chapter of anything - more that the crawl was just there to easily and quickly set the stage so it could jump right into the action (which the opening Star Destroyer flyover sequence did beautifully. But yeah - back then the film and story it told felt complete and stood on its own. OF COURSE I (at 14) wanted a sequel, but I never felt like there was anything left untold for that particular story at the time. In fact I was annoyed when the whole "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE" was tacked on and small edits made to make the Empire Troopers appear less bumbling -- IE - "Close the Blast Doors...Close the Blast Doors..." <--- that line was removed -- so suddenly the Troopers hadn't requested closing of the doors before running up to them and saying..."Open the Blast Doors...Open the Blast Doors..."

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Neopeius likes this.
  4. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

By saying ‘people know what it was emulating’ it’s really not so big a jump to also say ‘it felt like part of a serial’ and therefore ‘it felt episodic’.

But like I say, it’s ‘from a certain point of view’ and from developmental perspective, was plucked from a much longer story Lucas originally wrote. (In much the same way that years later, Ghostbusters is plucked from a longer work) To a certain extent that grounds it and extends the world beyond the edges of the screen, but also means that you can go either way with it. Had Star Wars (it took me twenty plus years to get even slightly comfortable calling it a new hope) been one and done, it would have been fine. The sequels to it still worked. Years later, frankly, so do the prequels, and so on… because it was a chunk of a larger story. From a certain point of view xD

5. wayoung

So I finished Falls the other day and it was... Fine but not as good as the two books leading up to it.

There seem to be a lot of lingering threads though. Liked for example, what happened to Filip? I was expecting some resolution to him, have him be part of the underground or something, but we just never hear about him again. Same with several other point of view characters, like Drummer. They just disappear. Do the short stories cover them?

jaime likes this.
  6. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Sometimes when people disappear it's cause they want to disappear.

Book Drummer was never a big character like Camina is.

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

After season one, the TV series does fix a fair few of the problems with the books and improves on them.

Cara Gee was so awesome as Camina Drummer, I think they made the character's role more important for the show. There needs to be a Drummer spin-off show.

Frankly, with both the book and TV versions of Filip, I would have been quite ok with
    gateway aliens shredding him along with
    Marco.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  8. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Drummer is getting her own prequel game with Cara Gee doing the voice over work. I am so there.

9. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

the Expanse video game thread is here for those that are interested.
    Currently scheduled for a Summer 2023 release btw.

fireproof78 likes this.
  10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the game would have zero gee....

11. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only when you're not under thrust :P

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Filip's fate is revealed in the short story The Sins of Our Fathers, which is available exclusively in the print anthology Memory's Legion.

wayoung likes this.
  13. wayoung

Ah ok. I was wondering if they used the short stories to finish those threads. Thanks.