Poll The ever-changing Trekthusiam thread!

How hyped are you for future Star Trek?

• Total voters
Discovery & Picard
Prodigy

(gap)
Strange New Worlds
Lower Decks

Prodigy
has been bumped up from the last time I posted in this thread. Right now it's only behind DSC and PIC in my enthusiasm level, both of which are neck-and-neck. If I were 30 years younger, Prodigy would be at the top.

Last edited:
Update: I am big hype for Starfleet Academy even though it's years away.

Picard season 2 will likely be enjoyable but I'm a little meh on it. It looks like they're going for a STIV/Future's End light fun tone for 2 and season 3 will be about authentic LCARS graphics. But I loved the darkness of season 1.

Strange New Worlds looks good but until we see footage we won't have a clue if it's a TOS or an ENT S1. Disco season 4 is on but kinda meh, Lower Decks is always fun and I'm glad more is coming. Prodigy isn't even available here but meh.

My current hype levels (in descending order):
  1. Lower Decks S3 - Crazy excited.
  2. Picard S2 - I'm eager to see what Terry Matalas is going to bring to the series.
  3. Strange New Worlds - Great concept and actors, not sure about the writers yet. I'm cautiously optimistic.
  4. Discovery S4 - I'm dying to see every new episode even though I'm expecting them to frustrate me a bit.
  5. Prodigy S1 - I feel like it's going to improve a lot.
  6. Section 31 - I'd never completely dismiss a series just from the title.
  7. Starfleet Academy - The only series set in a school I've ever cared about is Buffy.

I think it's been two years since I last posted in this thread, but here is my excitement levels for each of the series or planned series.

Prodigy - Very excited. I think Prodigy is my favorite of the new Treks by far. Every episode I'm impressed by how much I like it, and I look forward to it each week.
Lower Decks - Very Excited. Looking forward to season 3 and how they resolve that cliffhanger
Discovery - Mildly excited. I've probably been very skeptical about Discovery and I hated how Season 3 ended. Season 4 trailers left a lot to be desired, but I enjoyed the last two episodes a lot and the Zora plot is working really well.
Strange New Worlds - I haven't heard much of anything about this series. When is it coming? Where is the hype? Are we getting a trailer during Wild Card Weekend? What is going on?
Picard - Maybe I will be when we get closer, but I'm not excited for season 2. I'm worried they are going to ruin Q.
Section 31 - Like SNW, I have no knowledge about this series. I wouldn't mind seeing Georgiou again though
Starfleet Academy - I've hated all the ideas for a Starfleet academy series. I don't want to see a series form version of the DS9 episode Valient, and I don't need the teenage drama.

I’m excited for everything they have coming at this point. Each show has something unique about them that sets them apart both from the current crop of Trek series, and from the shows that came before.

I’ve grown really attached to characters in all four series that have premiered to date, and based on Pike, Spock and Number One’s Disco appearances, in Strange New Worlds as well.

I’m excited to see where they all go in the future, and I look forward to eventual (maybe?) progress on the movie front as well.

‪‪I have a hard time ranking shows, and legitimately love them all for different reasons, so ‪‪I’m going to refrain from making a list, but overall my Trek-thusiasm is pretty high right now, because I’m getting Trek I enjoy every week of the year.

I'm always exited for the new thing so for me it's:

1) SNW
2) LD S3
3) PIC S2
4) DIS S4

I've left prodigy off the list because I haven't watched it yet. I think I can convince the lovely wife to give that one a spin with me and I've heard very good things. Nothing but good things actually.

I’m moderately excited overall. There is enough in production or up-and-coming where I know some will be great, and some won’t be for me.

Right now, at this very moment, I’d gauge my excitement for individual projects as follows:

1. PIC S2 (crazy excited)
2. DSC S4 second half (very excited)
3. PRO S1 second half (very excited)
4. SNW premier (moderately excited)
5. S31 premier (curious and optimistic, but not really excited )
6. A Starfleet Academy show, should that ever become reality (curious and optimistic, but not really excited)
7. Star Trek 4 feature film (not excited)
8. LD S3 (not excited)

As of Summer 2022:

Picard S3
Discovery S5
Strange New Worlds S2
Prodigy S1 continued (why not call it S2?)
Lower Decks S3
Star Trek 4 (wake me up when they start filming... )

As of right now, Summer 2022:

Picard S3 meh
Disco S5 meh with sparkles
Strange New Worlds S2 should be okay
Lower Decks S3 should be fun
Prodigy S1/part2 should be good
Star Trek 4 won't happen

Sooo... my enthusiasm has tanked from when I started this thread. The new stuff is okay, but the days of me buzzing for a new Trek are gone. There's so much content out there in TV land, there aren't enough hours in the day around work and some semblance of a social life. I've preferred The Orville's third season to SNW's first, although both have been enjoyable. New episodes crop up and it's days until I get around to seeing them, a far cry from opening day Star Trek Into Darkness and Beyond in '13 and '16. The novelverse is gone, but there's so much content there I'll never run out.

Paramount+ are still getting my money so I guess they don't mind.

And I'm sure once the trailers start I'll do I 180 and be exploding to see:lol:

Summer of 2022 edition:
Picard S3: not really in to it. Worf might be enough to bring me back.
Discovery S5: Season 4 ended interestingly enough that I will be wanting to at least try it.
Strange New Worlds S2: Not really onboard.
Lower Decks Season 3: Has potential. Mixed feelings.
Prodigy Season 1: no idea.
Star Trek 4: awaiting it in theaters.

Overall, my Star Trek interest is languishing. Other things are drawing my attention, like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, so Trek will be third tier, which is how it has been since college so about average for me.

Summer 2022 edition.

Lower Decks S3: Yes. DS9 follow up finally happening.
Picard S3: Despite a bad S2, the interest for the show is still there.
Discovery S5: Depends on if its threat of the season again or something different this time around.
Strange New Worlds S2: No. Let’s put it this way. I’m not waiting up late at night to watch this show like I do with PIC, or The Orville.
Prodigy S1: No. But I’m not the audience. And they should realy the second half already.
Star Trek 4: No. They just can’t pick a script and film the thing.
Section 31: If they make a movie for P+ to explain where Georgiou ended up, yes. If Trip, Reed or Bashir is involved, yes. Otherwise, no.
Starfleet Academy: No.
Seven of Nine & Raffi spinoff: Depends if Seven’s the captain of the Stargazer (no) or returns to being a Fenris Ranger (yes).

SNW: crazy excited
LD: crazy excited
PROD: crazy excited
DISC: curious (no idea what's going on next season)
PIC: looking forward to seeing the TNG crew again, nervous about what Picard writers will do to them
ST: hoping we get a season 3 some day

Voted apathetic. Haven't really clicked with a lot of the popular new star trek stuff. Lower Decks I find just fiiiine and SNW is really not for me. However prodigy and discovery have me pretty interested tbh.

Nonetheless I could still take it or leave it and I think the stylistic choices of LD and SNW will have undue influence on Trek going forward (much the same way TNG did). So I'm not super excited for the future.

I liked Picard season 2 and Lower Decks season 2. Looking forward to the next season of both. I am 100% apathetic on everything else because none of it is available anywhere in my country with no news whatsoever about when that will change. It's hard to care about Trek in general when CBS apparently doesn't give a shit about actually making it available worldwide.

My interest in Trek is lower than it's ever been. I barely watch any classic Trek either (TOS - ENT). The only thing I can imagine that would get me in for a proper re-watch would be a remaster of DS9 & VOY.

As F. King Daniel mentioned, there's so much content out there. There isn't any shortage of bloody good stuff to watch. Star Trek isn't even in contention, but I'll play anyway.

Picard S3 - I stand by my statement that S2 was the worst season of Trek. Period. It started off incredibly strong before spiralling into one of the most convoluted, nonsensical plots I've ever seen. I am not enthused for the final reunion season (sorry Sir Pat - it's not a TNG reunion. Yes I know, it's an incredibly serious narrative. Patrick, calm down!). One glimmer of hope is Terry Matalas is all in on S3. We'll see; I might just let the first few episodes release before dipping my toe in. I find Star Trek's style of serialised plot dragging fairly frustrating given the level of quality.

Disco S5 - Can't wait for the S5 trailer. I've joked about the writers needing a poster reading "no galaxy-ending threats" with a big red X through it for two seasons now. If the trailer drops and it's yet another big, mysterious threat that only Michael Burnham can solve, then I'll skip it. But, if there's a hint of something genuinely different, I'll have a look. In retrospect, I see Disco S1 (most of it) as the strongest showing NuTrek's put forward. Personally, I think they veered in the wrong direction after the behind the scene shenanigans of S1.

Strange New Worlds S2 - This I am truly apathetic on. Apparently this show is fun - i get the appeal. Light and breezy as meringue, with no short of cheese and corn. Star Trek: Karaoke. S1 got off to a reasonable start, even though I was disappointed from the get go at how quippy and unnatural the dialogue was. Unfortunately the inconsequential and superficial nature of it eroded my interest as the season progressed. Serene Squall and Elysium Kingdom between them killed it for me.

Lower Decks S3 - I wouldn't say I'm hyped / looking forward to it, but I'll be happy to check it out. It's had it's ups and downs, but at it's best has been pretty damn good. I'm much more comfortable with LD playing with DS9 than any of the live-action series.

Prodigy S1/ part2 - I liked Prodigy for what it was. I'm less inclined to make the effort for part 2. Will probably watch it down the track when the rest of the season is out.

Star Trek 4 - Bit of a running joke at this point. I'd be interested to see what it was about if it progressed far enough to cobble together a trailer. The last one didn't really spin my wheels so I'm fairly apathetic.

Last edited:
Strange New Worlds S2 - This I am truly apathetic on. Apparently this show is fun - i get the appeal. Light and breezy as meringue, with no short of cheese and corn. Star Trek: Karaoke. S1 got off to a reasonable start, even though I was disappointed from the get go at how quippy and unnatural the dialogue was. Unfortunately the inconsequential and superficial nature of it eroded my interest as the season progressed. Serene Squall and Elysium Kingdom between them killed it for me.
While I think you've really overreacted to "Serene Squall" and "Elysium Kingdom" in general (they're trying to show their range and the ways this show is different from DSC and PIC), that's pretty much my take on SNW as a whole. Though not to the same degree as you. I like the show, but I'm not invested in it. If I start to get bored with it, I won't drop it but I'll probably adopt an "I'll get to it when I get to it" mentality. I'm not there yet, but I can see myself thinking this after a while.

Last edited:
I like SNW well enough, but after E06 I dropped it for 5 weeks and then caught up. It wasn't 'must-see' television for me like some shows are.

In fact barring LDS, no Star Trek shows are on my 'must-see' list. That's why I'm always late catching up with it all (still haven't watched more than one episode of PRO and still got to finish S04 of DSC).

Overall, my Star Trek interest is languishing. Other things are drawing my attention, like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, so Trek will be third tier, which is how it has been since college so about average for me.

This is absolutely how I feel. Star Trek is just not the best game in town right now. There are tons of better shows.

Back