The Clone Wars and Rebels - A First Timer's Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by tomalak301, Dec 16, 2020.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I understand. My thing was I got caught up with these characters names that watching the movie I was understanding what the mission was but I guess a little confused on the specifics. I think watching it a second time will be worth it just to see what I missed the first time but also I have this much grander narrative to help understand the story better. I mean of the 5 films that was released after the prequel trilogy, Rogue One was my second favorite, behind Solo.

I get the feeling this is the year of Star Wars for me, in terms of rewatching all the films. I don't have an issue with that. ;)

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

If you have already seen Rogue One, I'd recommend re-watching it again after completing all four of Rebels seasons. They are not directly connected, but keep a semblance of a chronological order makes one get a better sense of the rebellion's progression, among some other things.

3. tomalak301

Yeah I was planning to do that.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There were unfinished episode of Rebels?
    I have to admit, I've still never watched the Spark of Rebellion. I started with the second or third episode, depending on if you consider SoR one or two episodes, and never got a chance to see SoR. I keep meaning to watch it now that I have Disney+, but I always forget.
    And on the tie in front, there's the novel A New Dawn, which show's how Hera and Kanan first met, the Kanan comic which explores his time during and after The Clone Wars along with framing stories set during the show. Hera has also shown up in several issues of the Doctor Aphra Comic, the Squadrons game, and the Alphabet Squadron novels.
    Several of the characters from the show also make appearances episodes of Forces of Destiny.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    tomalak301 likes this.
  5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they're talking about Clone Wars.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, that would make more sense.

7. tomalak301

Was Rebels billed as a comedy? Fighter Flight was a really fun episode, and the relationship between Zeb and Ezra was great. Zeb might not have made a good first impression, but I think I'm going to like him moving forward. We also got some good Tie Fighter action, and Sabine is a painter. Also, I think I already love Chopper more than BB8. BB8 just rolls around acting cute. Chopper has a little R2 personality to him.

8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

It was designed for a Disney station, but like The Clone Wars, it will get more serious as the story gets larger.

9. tomalak301

I'm sure it will. I'm liking the comedic aspects so far. At least it doesn't feel dumbed down.

How many lightsaber types are there. You've got the Maul double edge, the Grievous quadruple, and now they introduced the Inquisitors spinning wheel sabre. That thing looked cool.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Supposedly that style of lightsaber was designed to throw off Jedi survivors and make up for any deficiencies in the Inquisitors' skills.

We have regular lighsabers.
    Shoto lightsabers (smaller hilts like Yoda's, Palpatine's, or Ahsoka's off-hand weapon)
    Double bladed like Maul's
    Hinged double bladed lightsabers (like Master Krell) and similar lightsaber pike used by the Temple Guard.
    The Darksaber (which is supposedly unique) with it having a black blade and having a actual blade shape to it.
    The Inquisitor's spinning duel bladed lightsabers

Grievous uses normal lightsabers, just has the equipment and skill for four weapons.

There were others in the EU, but we've not seem them lately.

tomalak301 likes this.
  11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

There's also split-sabers: basically two hilts that can be locked together to form a saber-staff, seen both in 'Jedi Fallen Order' and as a rarely utilized feature of Ventress's sabers.
    Cross-guard sabers; An older design used thousands of years ago during the Jedi Sith conflics and at least up until the High Republic era that features two smaller blades flanking the longblade. Kylo Ren's is a makeshift imitation of one because the big edgelord didn't bleed his crystal properly and cracked it, making the blade unstable and in need of thermal vents.
    Believe it or not, there's also a sniper sabre. Basically a laser sniper rifle you slot a lightsaber into the top of to power it, giving you one very accurate shot that can blow through damn near anything at long range. Very nasty weapon that the Jedi 1) built, and 2) forbade the use of, presumably after they were done using it on Sith.

I forget who it was, but someone at Lucasfilm (I want to say it was Matt Martin?) basically said that if there's a a possible variant you can think of, *someone* at some point probably tried it at some point, and given the nature of the various Sith/Jedi conflicts over the millennia, if one side tried it, then so did the other.
    Interestingly, Darth Bane's lightsaber pike that was designed but ultimately not used for the Yoda arc featured a similarly shaped red/orange blade. So perhaps only the part where it's black is the unique feature.

12. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know this video is referencing legends material but there are so many different lightsaber types that have appeared that I just love exploring it. My favorite one is the larger lightsaber type employed by larger species.

tomalak301 likes this.
  13. tomalak301

I liked that Rebels brought back the Well scenes in the Empire academy training. That was a good arc in The Clone Wars. I know the show is still early and I'm sure arcs will come, but it does seem like Sabine has been on the sidelines a lot. I'm glad she plays more of a lead role in episode 7.

14. tomalak301

I really liked the two part episode dealing with Teesbo and Ezra's Parents. I hope that is something we get more clues about heading to the final parts of the season. Also, I actually got a little emotional that Ezra was born on Empire Day and he actually tapped into the dark side of the force.

I really like this Inquisiter character. Of course he's played by Issacs, who was great as Lorca (Until the writers turned him into a mustache twirling villain) but he seems menacing enough and for a show like this, having him appear in several episodes is a good thing.

Watching this show I'm actually reminded of Batman or the X-Men animated series. It's designed with kids in mind, but there is a lot for adults and just fans of Star Wars to enjoy and I'm having a blast with it. I also like the battle sequences, which seem to be easier to do in animation than live action. I just find this show a whole ton of fun.

Reverend and publiusr like this.
  15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It also backs up the notion that the point of that thing wasn't to filter out the weaker bounty hunters, but to identify which of them is a Jedi. Here the Imperials are using it to identify nascent force sensitives to hand over to the Inquisitorius.

Incidentally, just in case the implication was missed: this means Ezra is basically the same age as Luke and Leia (OK, a few days older, but still!)

tomalak301 likes this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chopper was kind of a prick, and I love that about him.
    Ezra also eventually ends up with another unique type of lightsaber.

publiusr likes this.
  17. tomalak301

Speaking of lightsabers, Path of the Jedi is the best episode of the series so far. It was so spiritual and further developed Ezra and the pain he has been feeling ever since his Parents were lost. Also, that Lightsaber he gets looks cool. It's almost like a staple gun saber.

Next episode has Lando Carlrissian? Nice

A Combined Lightsaber and Blaster? Now that's cool.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    publiusr and Reverend like this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep the blaster/lightsaber is what I was talking about. I don't think we ever saw that before Ezra's.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

20. tomalak301

That was a hell of a three part finale. I kind of had a feeling Ahsoka was Fulcrum but to double down with Vader at the end? That’s an awesome tease for season 2.

Overall I think that was a better season 1 than Clone Wars season 1. It does feel like Filoni and crew just carried the momentum from Clone Wars (thinking just up to season 6) into Rebels. Love the development of Kanan overcoming his fear, Ezra having a much more prominent role, and Hera as a strong leader. I really hope they do more with Sabine though. She just seemed there and while I get it’s season 1, it seemed after the Mandalorian episode that fandom saw her as an important character.

The action was awesome in these episodes to. The painted Tie, the battle over Mustofer, and just the pacing was all great fun. It’s amazing what you can do in animated form. Yeah there is so much more than just the Skywalker story, and this actually feels like Rouge One in animated form. It almost feels like I’m finally watching “Star Wars” where they are showing most of the other aspects of the War.

I am a little iffy on Ahsoka’s Rebels look though. I think I like the clone wars look better. Not a big thing but noticeable.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Skywalker likes this.