The Clone Wars and Rebels - A First Timer's Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by tomalak301, Dec 16, 2020.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The stormtroopers were not the clones?

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

A clone army is expensive. It takes nine years before its ready to go, and you have to pay for all that lead time. The Republic ordering several million clones during the middle of the Clone Wars nearly bankrupt a galactic power. While the army itself is awesome, the expense is too much unless you know you are going to need them in a war. Otherwise conscripts or a volunteer army is good enough for a peacekeeping force. They are far less expensive, since you only have to train them for a few weeks, than just pay for their lives while they are in service. Being a galactic power, the Empire has a lot more citizens it can recruit than they can realistically produce on Kamino at one time. Even if they restrict themselves to humans only for the most part. That's still trillions of possible soldiers, rather than a few tens of millions over the decades. Sure the millions are the best of the best elites, but the Empire just really doesn't need them. They need numbers to police an entire galaxy (at which point the other question drops "Why not build a droid army?" This is Palpatine we are talking about....he wants to be in control. He can control humans with the Force. Even feed off them with the Dark Side...he can't do that with droids).

The Final Order Sith Troopers were those that were indoctrinated and perhaps warped to the Emperor's will. They are loyal, but more robotic than even the lifetime trained First Order troopers. The Clone Troopers, even as elites, were too independent minded for Palpatine. He wanted extensions of his will, not soldiers that think. Basically, he wanted biological droids who could be used by him using the Force. Stormtroopers, while heavily indoctrinated and loyal to the New Order, are only marginally better than regular army troopers.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

tomalak301 likes this.
  4. tomalak301

Turtletrekker likes this.
  5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

For a while they were...in more ways than one.
    In-universe, the clones were phased out pretty fast and replaced by conscripts.

In the real world, in the period after the prequels were released the official word from LF was that the Stortroopers were indeed clones made from several new template donors after the Clone Wars. However, when they were making The Clone Wars, they started to take note of how attached to the clones the younger viewers became and, that it was felt it would be too upsetting and confusing for them to see "good guy clones" murdering rebel troops 3 mins into ANH, they they decided to adopt the current notion; that the clones got phased out and the Stormtroopers are just ordinary humans.
    Breeding clones to maturity costs money. Lots and lots of money. Regular humans generally take care of that all by themselves before they show up at the recruiting office.
    The galaxy is full of *trillions* of beings. You don't need clones to get effectively endless numbers. There's no shortage of dirt poor, ignorant, uneducated nobodies stuck on nowhere dustballs in the outer rim, to whom the idea of being a Stormtrooper seems like a pretty sweet deal. What with the roof over your head, guaranteed food every day, they let you shoot at people from time to time.

The Clones were made to fight a war, so they had to be proficient at what they did. That kind of training is costly. They also needed to be well equipped. Even more costly!
    Now, the war is over, so why go to the trouble of continuing to create and maintain legions and legions of elite cloned soldiers when all they're going to be facing is local militias, pirates, raiders, native primitives, uncooperative factory workers and a scattering of separatist holdouts?
    Better to just stuff a bunch of disposable idiots into the cheapest composite riot armor prison labour can fabricate, shove the lowest budget light blaster rifle BlasTech sells into their hands, give them just enough training to know how to march in a straight line, follow a mouse droid and which end of the blaster makes the loud noise, then just point them in the vague direction of the enemy and kick them out of the drop ship.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  6. tomalak301

Just finished Star Wars Rebels

That was a great finale, but it leaves me with one question. Do we already know what the "Ahsoka" series will be about? Will it be about finding Ezra and bringing him back? Sabine is joining Ahsoka on the search for Ezra, and Ahsoka was looking for Grand Admiral Thrawn. It seems to me we already have the plot for the new Ahsoka series and Tia Sircar (Who is no longer doing The Good Place) will be a co-star, or at least should be.

Anyway, in terms of the final episode of Rebels, it was the liberation of Lothal and they left open a number of doors if they ever wanted to follow up on the finale. It was very action oriented, and I was happy to see the Purrgils return. They were only in one episode, but Ezra tamed them and they formed a mutual bond. I was surprised they returned, but it was a very nice return. I also liked seeing the Rebels, including Hondo, working together.

I did get a little teary at the end there, when Sabine goes with Ahsoka to find Ezra.

As for this series, I really liked it. I liked it better than Clone Wars (Even though I loved Clone Wars too) and like I said, I think I'm really looking forward to Ahsoka the series more than any other Star Wars property coming soon. I'm really glad I watched these two series and it really is nice to see the franchise is alive and well, and thanks to Mandalorian, quite healthy again.

7. Turtletrekker

Glad you enjoyed the ride.

8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Lothal is saved. The Empire gets caught up chasing down the Heroes of Yavin and the other galactic fallout from both the destruction of Alderaan and the Death Star. With Thrawn and his 7th Fleet missing, the Empire can't afford to go after such a backwater world when there are more important threats to deal with. One of those threats might have been the Mandalorians (The Great Purge). The others were the Alliance to Restore the Republic actually fighting the Empire in open warfare in some regions of the Galaxy. And of course with the death of Grand Moff Tarkin on the Death Star, the whole Outer Rim has a power vacuum of sorts. Darth Vader is very busy hunting down the pilot that destroyed the Death Star....more so once he find out that pilot's name in Skywalker. So generally, with Kanan and Ezra out of the picture, the Emperor could care less about Lothal now....Skywalker....that's the new prize.

The other question (unanswered at this time) is where and when Ahsoka turned up again, and who knows she returned prior to the end of the Galactic Civil War.

(Also Kanan you sly dog.....)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

We know basically nothing about the Ahsoka show aside from it taking place around the time of her appearance in 'The Mandalorian'.
    I very much doubt Tiya Sircar will be playing Sabine in live action. Sabine's character model is designed to be of East Asian appearance (Japanese, specifically), which Tiya is clearly not.

Small detail, but Palpatine didn't actually know about Skywalker until literally right before he contacts Vader in tESB.
    As an aside, they was also a campaign that features in the first Battlefront tie-in book referred to (IIRC) as the mid-rim advance (followed soon after by the mid-rim retreat) that accounts for some of what diverted the Empire's attention away from the outer rim. Kind of an Operation Market Garden type situation where the Alliance decided to try and hold ground and occupy a swath of territory in the mid-rim with ground forces. Unsurprisingly the Empire rolled right back over them.
    Probably the biggest thing though was the very poorly timed dissolution of the Imperial Senate. The idea was that with the Death Star online, the military governors could maintain direct control of all Imperial systems. But when that was instantly removed from the board, every Moff in the galaxy suddenly found themselves basically on their own against local uprisings with no centralised coordination and a very wonky chain of command.
    Yeah, Dave has been a bit coy as to whether the coda takes place before or after Ahsoka's appearance on 'The Mandalorian'. Which honestly probably means it's "after" since: no Sabine, no white cloak and no staff (for for a second there I thought that's what the beskar spear was supposed to be.)
    It's not like the show kept their relationship a secret. I mean sure, it was never *explicit* because: kid's show, but context clues abound! Hera was always calling Kanan "dear", referring to the two of them as "mom and dad" to "the kids". It was hardly subtle. Probably the most explicit indicator is this scene. Seems innocuous enough until you realise that it's the middle of the night, everyone but Ezra is asleep...and when Ezra walks into Kanan's room, he's not there. I mean, do the math! ;)

10. tomalak301

Well, I am hoping that the Ahsoka series is kind of the Search for Ezra, at least at the start. I wouldn't mind a recasting of Sabine, as I think it would be great if we did see Sabine in live action.

I did watch Rogue One again last night. I did gain a new appreciation for the film, especially with Saw, even though he wasn't in the movie very much. I was looking for the easter eggs but the only one I recognized was them calling for General Syndulla. I didn't see Chopper, unfortunatelly.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You can see (and hear) him in the scene (frame left) where the coms tech guy comes running out after Mon Mothma.
    Also, this ship showed up once or twice... ;)

12. tomalak301

I wasn't even looking for the Ghost, but that's pretty cool. It looks so small in the movie. I'm happy it survived and Hera and Little Syndulla and still flying it.

13. Turtletrekker

The Ghost is still seeing action all the way up to The Rise of Skywalker.

tomalak301 likes this.
  14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No thanks. I don't like math.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just thought of a possibility for a live action Sabine, Rila Fukushima, the actress that played Yukio in The Wolverine and Tatsuo/Katana in Arrow.

tomalak301 likes this.
  16. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ahsoka wearing her white robe was in one of the concept art pieces for the Mando episode.

tomalak301 likes this.
  17. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I do hope Sabine makes an appearance in the Ahsoka show, and Hera and Chopper in Rangers of the New Republic.

tomalak301 likes this.
  18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Given the sheer amount of Mandalorian already in these shows, and that there's a reasonable chance that Dyn's next major arc will be returning to Mandalore, it will be odd if Sabine isn't in there somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mandalorians in The Mandalorian show?

20. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Mandalorians in the Jedi show. Jedis in the Mandalorian show. This is the way.