Spoilers TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 18, 2013.

?

Rate Revelation and Dust.

1. Outstanding

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Above Average

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Below Average

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Poor

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

So, the Federation President is dead and Picard keeps thinking about leaving the Enterprise.

I know who I'd vote for.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not. We've seen inside Asarem's head before; she has been a POV character, which means we, as the audience, know what's in her soul. She doesn't have it in her for something like this.

Indeed, KRAD is thanked in the acknowledgments for his assistance to DRGIII in writing Revelation and Dust. The idea that this is all "punishment" against KRAD is just silly.

So she deserved to die? Christ, man. No one deserves that. And the Federation certainly didn't deserve the trauma of seeing its president assassinated.

*shrugs* All I can tell you is that she has always seemed like a very vividly-drawn, three-dimensional person to me. And it made sense to me that she would be, since KRAD based her in part on his great-grandmother.

3. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

KRAD was thanked previously. While his books were being ignored/at best, swiftly neutered at the request of TPTB.
    You're letting wishful thinking colour your perception.

4. Elias Vaughn

I like how you're coming up with conspiracy theories about TPTB wanting to destroy KRAD's very Treklit legacy, but you're calling someone else out for wishful thinking.

5. Edit_XYZ

Do a search on this subforum about the new editor for trek lit and KRAD or D. Mcintee. You should really do your homework before talking about conspiracy theories.

6. Sci

In what sense were his books being "ignored" or "neutered?" Which books were so "ignored" and "neutered?"

His last ST book, A Singular Destiny, featured President Bacco and introduced the Typhon Pact, which he co-created with Marco Palmieri. President Bacco has since appeared in twelve books that I know of; the Typhon Pact has literally had its own series of novels encompassing eight titles. The governmental system KRAD designed for Articles of the Federation has been featured in numerous books published since A Singular Destiny, from Christopher's DTI: Watching the Clock and DTI: Forgotten History, to the numerous DRGIII DSN novels. And now, of course, one of KRAD's most important characters has become in death the apparent centerpiece of the entire Fall miniseries, and the constitutional processes KRAD developed for how the Federation government functions promises to play a huge role in subsequent novels.

If they're trying to retcon KRAD's books out of continuity, they're not doing a very good job of it.

7. Edit_XYZ

Sci, see my post above.
    The issue was already talked about extensively here. By now, you seem to have conveniently 'forgotten' about it, though.

8. Sci

I recall this thread in which both KRAD and Lonemagpie assert that it's nothing so dramatic as an author blacklist, just editors' preferences on who they want to work with.

And this thread, where it came out that because of the editorial office's ongoing chaos during their bouts of staff turnover, they did a poor job communicating continuity requirements to Lonemagpie, resulting in a plot that the remaining editors later decided not to try to reconcile with other books but to instead place in its own continuity.

It's unfortunate the that happened to Indistinguishable From Magic, but I've seen no evidence that any of KRAD's books have been retconned or "nullified." On the contrary, KRAD's books, characters, and concepts have continued to have important influence on and play important roles in subsequent books, and show all indications that they will continue to do so.

The idea that Ed Schlesinger is twirling his handlebar mustache while plotting ways to make KRAD's work disappear -- perhaps while tying Nell Fenwick to the railroad tracks? -- is just silly.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  9. Elias Vaughn

I'd like some links to the threads that have apparently 'talked about [this] extensively', but I don't recall seeing any. And I lurk here far, far more often than I post, so.

10. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

About a third in. Kira's section seem tedious. Fairly slow in other sections but perhaps a large time gap can explain some of it.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most votes going to Outstanding, yet most people replying seem to have to say something negative. How come??

12. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Many outstanding books and movies have some negative points to them. And many, if not most, seem to highlight the negative even in something they like.

13. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And I would've said Sisko didn't have it in him to abandon his family. Well, we all know what happened there...

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let's not open that can of worms again, please.

15. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

Apparently you have no problem with the Federation President being secretly removed from office by the military and then later assassinated, as long as the people don't find out about it.

Did she deserve to die? Not necessarily. Did David Marcus deserve to die? Perhaps not but the writers of TSFS felt that someone had to pay the price for him using protomatter. That's what it came down to when they were deciding if it would be David or Saavik, If you break the rules then there is a price to be paid. Perhaps not by you but it should affect you.

Bacco knew that something had happened to Min Ziff and "convinced" Ross to retire because of it. Pretty sweet deal for overthrowing the leader of the free galaxy and turning him over to people that you knew would have no qualms about making him disappear. Bacco's only President because her predecessor was illegally removed from office and she did nothing about it.

I would have preferred to see the entire cabal, including Bacco, brought to trial but for various reasons the authors have decided not to do it that way. The price still had to be paid and she paid with her life.

16. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

This must be a strange concept, but some people don't like everything when it comes to stories so just because they may really love it, there will still be things they don't like?

For example, I really liked Into Darkness, but the first night I saw it, I walked out and said to my fiancé that it won't hold up to scrutiny, which to be fair, it doesn't, but it also doesn't reduce my enjoyment of the film.

17. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not strange at all. Ofcourse there were also parts I enjoyed less, or thought odd, or just didn't make sense. However, it seems that even though a lot of people seemed to have enjoyed it, only the negative things are mentioned. I asume they voted outstanding for several reasons. As did I.

18. Chi'pok

Chi'pok Lieutenant Red Shirt

I finished the book today. I liked the "present day parts" more, but the Kira parts weren't too bad; though it did start out slowly. I guess I would say above average for my vote overall.

I have a question about the Prophets: both onscreen and in the novels we have seen that they are powerful. They can manipulate the destinies of various people (Sisko and his mother) and can protect Bajorans as needed.

How powerful are they? Similar to Q but not as powerful?

I'm just curious; my guess is that the writers keep it somewhat vague on purpose. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  19. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

You can still vote and NOT have read the book. It seems quite illogical that one would not speak up about a book they found outstanding. I'm sure there are those who DID read it and found it outstanding. But it would be nice to know their reasons. But it's okay, just shows the difference between a poster and a lurker.

I just wish someone would explain how the Defiant got mixed up with the Robinson in the prologue and how it got past the writer and editor. Please. Anyone?

20. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

delete post

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013