Spoilers TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 18, 2013.

?

Rate Revelation and Dust.

1. Outstanding

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Above Average

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Below Average

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Poor

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugh, I think I'm starting to understand why this one got the reaction it did when it first came out. It's taken almost 250 pages for something to finally happen in the modern day DS9 story. It was just spending to much time recapping stuff we already know, and filling in the missing two years. I understand that we haven't seen these characters in a while, and this was the introduction to the new station, but all of that stuff before the big event just seemed to drag on forever. It didn't really feel like there was actually a plot, it was just felt like a bunch of random scenes with the character not really doing much.
    The stuff in Bajor's past with Keev/Kira has been a lot better so far.
    I'm hoping now that I've gotten to Bacco's assassination things will start to pick up. I'm actually kind of happy that I went into the dedication ceremony know Bacco was going to be dying, it really made things a lot more tense as it got closer and closer to her speech.
    EDIT: Review Pt. 2
    I finished up the book last night, and while it did pick up a bit, it still wasn't much. It's kind of strange, because I it's a 400 page book, but yet it didn't feel like a whole lot happened. I was really expecting things to pick up once Bacco was assassinated, but even after that it still felt like not a lot happened.
    The Keev stuff was still good all the way through.
    It is a well written book, and we did get some nice character stuff.
    This was the first Trek book in a long time that I voted Average on in the poll.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    Jinn likes this.
  2. JeBuS

JeBuS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've just poked my head back into the board after a prolonged absence. I'm curious if you can point out what the "nice character stuff" was, since nobody else was able to over the course of 3 years.

3. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Keiko had a haircut. Prinmei flew. I have precisely sod all else I remember. Has it really been three years?
    It was such a harbinger of a book. Sadly. Though there are a few bright lights later, and the last few have been an improvement of sorts.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly don't remember any specific examples, I've already moved on to other stuff.

5. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The Praetor & the Bajoran First Minister keep Bacco's legacy alive by striking up a political relationship.

6. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Poor Ro. First DS9 blows up and now the President is dead. Starfleet command should consider a new captain for the station since Ro is clearly cursed. :)
    While it’s sad that Bacon is dead let’s not kid ourselves thinking she was the boss. We all know Picard is the true leader of the Federation. If you want to cause actual harm, get rid of him.

I’m stating to like this station a little better. I still think it’s too thin. I would have bulked it out more in the middle. Also, if this station is supposed to be the biggest Starbase in all of the Federation, shouldn’t an Admiral be in charge?

Also, Thzenkethi again? Can’t we have a new alien race, or the Xindi or something. We get it. They’re colossal dicks. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  7. thribs

These time jumps are the only issue I have with these books. I’m about to read the next Titan novel, noticing that it’s set 3 years after the previous one. That’s a big jump. Half the crew could be dead, gone or promoted in that time.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Tzenkethi and the Breen were pretty much the main recurring bad guys from The Typhon Pact at least through The Fall.

9. thribs

I know but with this this being a new series I thought they would have something different. I have read the books that follow this since then which make it more interesting than just those guys again.