Superman

A very sad day: Phyllis Coates, who played Lois Lane in the first season of the classic Adventures of Superman television series, has passed away at the age of 96. She was the show's last surviving cast member.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/phyllis-coates-dead-1235571420/

phyllis-coates-ff127084ff5c45c59ad58b4972fdfe1e.jpg

Prior to the show's premiere, Coates also had the distinction of playing Lois in the first-ever Superman feature film, Superman and the Mole-Men (which was later recut into the two-part AoS episode, "The Unknown People").

Coates played Lois as tough and acerbic, and her portrayal remains a favorite of many fans.

RIP to a truly great lady. Her legacy will outlive all of us.

Unfortunately, Miss Coates has moved on from this life, but she was a memorable actress across her career, and its not a knock at Reeves at all, but her creation of Lois left the strongest impression from the Adventures of Superman. Easily in the top three of all live action Lois Lane performances.

This is not quite a perfect video -- I think he underappreciates the success of Adams's Lois in Snyder's films, plus the extended ad toward the beginning is intrusive and annoying -- but by God he gets most of it right, including the idea (as my sig has expressed for ages) that "Superman is inherently a love story," and that Clark + Lois is far and away the most important aspect of any Superman narrative.

Liked a lot the nuance take for the Snyder version, that Man of Steel was a decent foundation for the characters and relationship and and Adams as Lois was quite strong in the debut, then the writing went wrong rather than better.

Reactions: Sci
Liked a lot the nuance take for the Snyder version, that Man of Steel was a decent foundation for the characters and relationship and and Adams as Lois was quite strong in the debut, then the writing went wrong rather than better.

I don't agree. Granted, Lois didn't do much in both versions of "Justice League", I believe that she certainly managed to play a strong role in "Batman v. Superman".

A very sad day: Phyllis Coates, who played Lois Lane in the first season of the classic Adventures of Superman television series, has passed away at the age of 96. She was the show's last surviving cast member.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/phyllis-coates-dead-1235571420/

phyllis-coates-ff127084ff5c45c59ad58b4972fdfe1e.jpg

Prior to the show's premiere, Coates also had the distinction of playing Lois in the first-ever Superman feature film, Superman and the Mole-Men (which was later recut into the two-part AoS episode, "The Unknown People").

Coates played Lois as tough and acerbic, and her portrayal remains a favorite of many fans.

RIP to a truly great lady. Her legacy will outlive all of us.

Rest in peace.

I believe that she certainly managed to play a strong role in "Batman v. Superman".

She was one of the linchpins in the outcome of the conflict--very involved, as opposed to just standing on the sidelines as helpless observer who can only call out for Superman.

She got Clark to stop fighting the JL.

Love for his parents and Lois is the only reason Clark is not sitting on a throne by the time he turns 25.

Take a look at the new Cartoon.

In every universe where Lois doesn't give him enough hugs, or any hugs at all, he kills a million people.

Hey?

The ICBMs Luthur made in Quest for Peace, to replace the nukes Clark threw into the sun, where made from old pinball parts. I doubt they could fly, and they definitely could not go boom.... Because there is no way that an honest man could replace the worlds nuclear arsenal in three days.

Lex Luthor Saved the Word!

Love for his parents and Lois is the only reason Clark is not sitting on a throne by the time he turns 25.

Take a look at the new Cartoon.

In every universe where Lois doesn't give him enough hugs, or any hugs at all, he kills a million people.

^ Super-hyperbole?

Lex Luthor Saved the Word!

wvjD3qu.jpg

"I like the way that Gardener guy thinks."
---Lex Luthor

^ Yeah, but in more Superman adaptations than not, he's not one emotional break away from crowning himself above all humankind, but he has acted as judge and jury of criminals in his early comic books, which is still not crowning himself emperor. That said, to someone like Batman, he can come off as someone with those traits when trying to order him to retire, as seen in BvS.

She was one of the linchpins in the outcome of the conflict--very involved, as opposed to just standing on the sidelines as helpless observer who can only call out for Superman.

So important and un-helpless that she managed to almost drown herself retrieving the McGuffin she herself had just thrown into the water a few moments earlier. Definitely a Powerful Character in that movie.

I have never liked this idea that the only reason Clark isn't a murderous tyrant is that he happens to love a handful of people.

Give me a Clark who just genuinely likes and cares about people any day of the week.

Give me a Clark who just genuinely likes and cares about people any day of the week.

Agreed. but Clark (or anyone else) will only turn out that way if they are raised that way.

If Clark had been found by, say a KKK Grand Wizard, he sure wouldn't like or care about anyone.

In fact that's pretty much what happened in the Superboy TV series (the "Sovereign" universe from "Roads Not Taken").

Also in the Red Son universe, Clark lands on a Soviet collective farm, and thus is of course raised to be a loyal Communist.

See where this is leading? Everyone, super or not, is the product of their upbringing. At birth, we are all blank slates. People care about the things they are brought up to care about.

Agreed. but Clark (or anyone else) will only turn out that way if they are raised that way.

If Clark had been found by, say a KKK Grand Wizard, he sure wouldn't like or care about anyone.

In fact that's pretty much what happened in the Superboy TV series (the "Sovereign" universe from "Roads Not Taken").

Also in the Red Son universe, Clark lands on a Soviet collective farm, and thus is of course raised to be a loyal Communist.

See where this is leading? Everyone, super or not, is the product of their upbringing. At birth, we are all blank slates. People care about the things they are brought up to care about.

I think it's a little more complex than "everyone is a blank slate; it's all a matter of nurture" or "genes determine everything." It's a complex mix of nature and nurture.

If we're talking alternate scenarios, I can buy that a Clark not raised by the Kents might be more standoffish, more of a loner, etc. But that's a far cry from being a murderous tyrant.

Back