Superman

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he assumed the material was dark simply because he saw BvS or JL, and has no other real frame of reference. Not everyone 'knows' Superman.

Yeah, I've seen that theory elsewhere, that Snyder has left younger people (Elordi is 26) with the impression that Superman is a "dark" character.

I've also seen it suggested that it was a tongue-in-cheek joke, the way one might say, "The Smurfs? Too dark for me, man!" Hard to tell in a printed quote without benefit of tone or facial expression.

In the end, though, it's a lot of obsessing over nothing. Now that the strikes are over, Gunn will hopefully start putting out some actual Superman: Legacy news, so we'll have something with at least a little more substance to chew over.

They're really gonna give us a dark Superman? After all the endless whining about Snyder's Superman and the subsequent wholesale throwing out of that entire universe?

What the hell is going on over there?
preview-small.jpg

Who knows. Perhaps Gunn is not going the Superman-sitting-on-clouds route after all. Again, who knows. That said, some are kneejerking with overreactions to Elordi's comments. He--unlike everyone else--actually read for the lead role, so he had a true insider's view, and his observations cannot be dismissed outright.

"Well, they asked me to read for Superman,” he said. “That was immediately, ‘No, thank you.’ That’s too much. That’s too dark for me."

Elordi did not say he went in blind, knowing nothing about the part (and I doubt his agent would push him into doing that, either). Few actors ever go in to read that way, so its reasonable to conclude he was informed about the character to some degree, and rejected it based on whatever he understood to be the approach to the character. While this does not mean the actual script did not change after the period Elordi refers to, but again, his experience is real and cannot be dismissed.

What part of Elordi did not say he went in blind, knowing nothing about the part (and I doubt his agent would push him into doing that, either) is so hard to understand?

You are making an assumption. It might be a legitimate one, but it is still an assumption. So statements like these...
... his experience is real and cannot be dismissed.
... are simply wrong. People can easily dismiss it, as it flies in the face of everything we've heard from Gunn himself about his take on the character, and they are certainly under any obligation to take Elordi's statement seriously. Hell, we don't even know if he himself was serious or just joking.

Reactions: Sci
The impression I got was that he never read or even touched the script, that he said no as soon as his agent or whoever said the name Superman.

Reactions: Sci
"Well, they asked me to read for Superman,” he said. “That was immediately, ‘No, thank you.’ That’s too much. That’s too dark for me."

Elordi did not say he went in blind, knowing nothing about the part (and I doubt his agent would push him into doing that, either). Few actors ever go in to read that way,

He said that he said no immediately. At no point does he describe "going in" or "going in to read." He just said no. Immediately.

While this does not mean the actual script did not change after the period Elordi refers to, but again, his experience is real and cannot be dismissed.

There is no evidence whatsoever that he had an experience for us to dismiss. You're just making stuff up that he did not at any point say happened.

We have yet to see what bleeding edge CGI would show of Krypton coming apart….maybe that reference shocked him the way it was spelled out.

As noted yesterday, agents rarely propose a part to the actor--especially a role as significant as a Superman--with no detail about the specific part. Elordi is on the inside of the business; he's not a speculator pushing theories for or against a Superman film. He recounted his reaction to the role, and again, that is real experience, as opposed to some who are quick to dismiss his statement because they fear the idea of another Superman adaptation not going in a desired tone / emotional direction.

Yeah, I've seen that theory elsewhere, that Snyder has left younger people (Elordi is 26) with the impression that Superman is a "dark" character.

I've also seen it suggested that it was a tongue-in-cheek joke, the way one might say, "The Smurfs? Too dark for me, man!" Hard to tell in a printed quote without benefit of tone or facial expression.

In the end, though, it's a lot of obsessing over nothing. Now that the strikes are over, Gunn will hopefully start putting out some actual Superman: Legacy news, so we'll have something with at least a little more substance to chew over.

Superman can be a mixture of both . . . like any other individual. It's that mixture that makes many characters interesting to me.

As noted yesterday, agents rarely propose a part to the actor--especially a role as significant as a Superman--with no detail about the specific part. Elordi is on the inside of the business; he's not a speculator pushing theories for or against a Superman film. He recounted his reaction to the role, and again, that is real experience, as opposed to some who are quick to dismiss his statement because they fear the idea of another Superman adaptation not going in a desired tone / emotional direction.

Citation needed.

Superman can be a mixture of both . . . like any other individual. It's that mixture that makes many characters interesting to me.

You would not know that from the screams & cries of those who ignore foundational parts of Superman's character in favor of locking him into the Santa mode of Mort Weisinger's reign (conveniently ignoring DC's late 60s attempts to move him away from the worst of Weisinger).

Back