Spoilers "Superman & Lois" Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Realist, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The show can recast but if you like the first actor then it is still not a sure bet the recasting will work even if the second actor is doing a good job. Since this show being about Superman having a family doing a recast to such a important character that strikes right at it's basic premise is going to feel off I think at least at first. It will be determined how much chemistry the new actor has with the main cast, particularly his brother, dad, mom and grandpa.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

At least this suit looks like it fits him, as opposed to the de-padded season two. But the dry-brushing is way over the top. :D

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even his suit has 5 o'clock shadow.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yikes. Its such an artificial look, and the boots...well...

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks like an airbrushed tshirt:lol:

Hopefully it'll look better on film. Hopefully.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That looks like a mid to late 90s video game graphic quality on the suit.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  7. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Animated content work to make animating more lifelike.

Live action content work to make real life more animated.

Come on, world! lol

8. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a mug's game to form opinions about a costume on the basis of set photos, before all the lighting, processing, and color grading is applied.

That said, the Supersuits on this show have not been its strongest aspect. Really, the best costume they've come up with by far is the Fleischer-inspired suit in the flashbacks.

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah the good old days of television when recasts were dismissed as plastic surgery!

10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I thought the painted-on shading always looked fake in the behind-the-scenes photos, but the effect has worked better in the actual episodes and publicity photos (probably the lighting), so hopefully, that'll still be true.

Also, I use that same water bottle. I guess Superman checks the Wirecutter, too.

11. TREK_GOD_1

Ehhh, some production photos of the suit from the previous season pretty much appeared the same in the episodes. That's very likely the best indicator how this one will turn out.

12. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Superhero costumes are way too intricate and complicated. I miss the simplicity of Reeve's suit.

The Realist likes this.
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Some of them are pretty basic aside from the weird texture everything has to have these days. I liked Melissa Benoist's original Supergirl costume, which was nicely practical and elegant.

The Realist likes this.
  14. The Realist

Agreed. Also colors.
    Agreed on this, too -- though Helen Slater's was even better.

15. TREK_GOD_1

For a superhero appearance to come off as something you might see in the world and believable (i.e., not wearing something that seems easy to be torn considering the life of a superhero).

[​IMG]

Top row:
    Dick Purcell from the Captain America 15-chapter serial (1944). While some might say, "all comic-based costumes were terrible back then", the costume from The Adventures of Captain Marvel--for one example--was and remains an excellent take.

Reb Brown in the costume worn in the Captain America II: Death Too Soon TV movie (1979).

Bottom row:
    In a post-Burton world, there was Matt Salinger in the rubber job from Captain America (1990).

Chris Evans in the costume worn in Captain America: Civil War (2016).

I believe most would agree the not-so-simple MCU version was not only visually more appealing, but made practical sense as a believable uniform capable of weathering most forms of abuse heroes must endure. the same argument can be made for some--but certainly not all--current superhero costume designs.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  16. Christopher

True, but I was saying that not all modern superhero costumes are needlessly overcomplicated.

17. The Realist

Oh, sure -- wasn't disputing that point, just doing a little sidebar on Supergirl getups.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't get the sudden obssession with giving superhero costumes weird textures that designers developed about a decade ago. I can't remember which one it was, but there was one where they gave it basketball bumps all over it, and it just looked really weird.
    Yeah, pretty much everything MCU Steve Rogers wore from The Winter Soldier on was fantastic. They were pretty much all the perfect combination of practical, believable, and cool. Overall I think the MCU has had some pretty good costumes over the years.
    The Arrowverse on the other hand, tends to be a bit more hit or miss, as much as I love the franchise, some of their costume have not been great.

19. Christopher

You're probably thinking of Andrew Garfield's first Spider-Man costume. That had a pretty basketball-ish texture.

I think the reason for the texture is because the designers feel it's more visually interesting on the larger feature film screen, or on the big, high-resolution TV screens we have these days. With more image resolution, they feel they have to add more detail. Also it's probably that modern techniques allow creating more intricate fabric patterns and textures more easily than in the past, and designers like to play around with that. It's not just superhero costumes -- look at how the Starfleet uniforms in the Kelvin movies and the current shows tend to be made from fabric textured with lots of little Starfleet arrowheads or department insignias.

And in some cases, they want to suggest that the supersuits are some kind of advanced high-tech material rather than just cloth or spandex.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which of course Peter fucking Parker made himself:lol:
    Until the MCU version, of course.