Spoilers Supergirl - Season 5

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Kirk Prime

Kirk Prime Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting point though in fairness, the nipples on Batman's costume did spark controversy. Though Batman isn't the best example since his costume is basically very similar, especially in the movies.

Now Superman is a better parallel when they removed the red shorts. In fact, it's almost a perfect parallel. It just doesn't look right for him. I'm glad they brought the true costume back in the comics, and I hope they do the same with Tyler on Supergirl, assuming he can get up from whomever is beating him up or killing him in this crossover.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If the actress says its be ause
    Skipped class the day they covered the concept of hemispheres?

3. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Then wear a dress, no one is stopping you.

4. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Let me rephrase: I'M always hot no matter where in the world I would be.

Happy now??

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes no sense at all but sure.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
  7. Awesome Possum

Sounds like a medical problem.

JoeZhang and Reverend like this.
  8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

A few days ago, I mentioned the fact that "Supergirl" is a brand DC/WB will not change, but it would be a big shift in perceptions of the character to go ahead and her name to Superwoman (not referring to the other character by that name). Eight years before Supergirl was introduced in the comics, Superwoman (in the form of Lois Lane) was a story in the pages of Action Comics--

[​IMG]

Yes, Lois is wearing a dress, but an adult woman using "girl" is sort of silly at this point. I do see that the story's title flies in the face of writer Jack Schiff using "Superwoman" at all...

9. Awesome Possum

Here’s a more updated version.
    0B9A4BDE-2033-436F-885A-B40BF3818B66.png
    Still Lois Lane, but it’s not far off Kara’s new suit.

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Or better yet maybe men should back off and stop trying to decide what is or isn't sexist re women.

Is there solid evidence that the "politics" have meaningfully dinged the ratings or is this just another post hoc fallacy? Lots of things can cause a show's ratings to dip. Sometimes people just start getting bored with it.

Already effectively shot down, but hey, spring break in New Zealand is end of Sept.

TREK_GOD_1, BillJ and Awesome Possum like this.
  11. Kirk Prime

Well, it's no coincidence that as the show got more political, the ratings tanked. The emphasis changed. Maybe they are getting bored with the show because of the overemphasis on politics. Even if they are spewing your views, can't you at least acknowledge that alienating half the country is going to hurt ratings? Search yourself, and I'm pretty confident that when people discuss the negatives of this show, it's the politics.

I keep saying when the show goes the non-political route, like the Luthor episodes last year, it's VERY good.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  12. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

The show's move to Sundays this year probably had more effect on its ratings than anything else one might speculate.

Awesome Possum likes this.
  13. Awesome Possum

Half the country would support a xenophobic group of Nazi wannabes? You seem to have a mistaken view of the country.

14. Kirk Prime

The ratings were down the year before too, though that's a theory. However, Sunday is the most watched TV night of the week, so it should have helped. Ultimately, the same people who watched the show before certainly knew the night changed. And if you look at the ratings, the crossover episode, which I believe kicked off everything, had a 0.77 rating--over double the show's average. Of course that was a special event, but the point is, if people have good reason to watch, they do.

I know this show can be better. I want to feel about the show the way I did before politics overwhelmed the show. Maybe some new writers would do the trick. But it's a new season, and I hope that the show moves in a good direction.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Still not factual. You're inferring that the critical backlash caused the ratings to tank, not demonstrating it.

Example: A letter writing campaign by fans saved Star Trek. There's actually no proof of that. Fans infer it, but that's not the same thing. There's no evidence that NBC actually planned to cancel it at the end of the second season, and its "death slot" timeslot might actually be because NBC got a tobacco company to sponsor the show, and tobacco product ads could not be run before 10pm. See? It's not always so simple as B because A.

Ovation, Spot261, BillJ and 1 other person like this.
  16. Awesome Possum

It’s a confirmation bias. He doesn’t like the politics and the ratings were lower, therefore the politics caused it even though no one seems to share his views on this.

Spot261 likes this.
  17. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course the ratings are go down. It has to compete with HBO,Walking Dead and NFL. Not to mention as a weekend it is a chance for people to binge something. Jason

18. The Realist

The Realist Vice Admiral Admiral

Sadly, I'm not so sure he does.

PiotrB likes this.
  19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You think a psychotic, deeply manipulative billionaire oligarch wannabe leveraging reactionary extremists against a minority group, and encouraging a foreign power to attack his own country in what is ultimately an exercise in self aggrandisement and enrichment at the cost of the people he claimed to serve is NOT a political story?
    And what planet are you on at the moment exactly?
    It's interesting how there's been so many different iterations of "Superwoman" over the decades, (trousers, or no trousers!) but none have seemed to have had anywhere near the staying power of Supergirl (of which there have also been many iterations).
    None of this has anything to do with wardrobe choices of course, but that Kara is a fundamentally more interesting character than "Lois with powers". Indeed, I tend to think giving Lois powers fundamentally robs her of what makes her interesting: that she does what she does in-spite of being powerless in a more mundane but no less super heroic fashion.

I go back and forth on whether it'd be better to just give Kara the "Superwoman" title (akin to giving Carol Danvers the "Captain Marvel" title), allowing the character to grow up and leave room for a new Supergirl. I mean the Bat family do this all the time, with multiple Robins & Batgirls growing and passing the legacy on. So why not Kara?

Part of me thinks that this might actually be a good way to end the show when that eventually comes. But part of me also wonders if that might be a little too on the nose.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    BeatleJWOL, Spot261 and The Realist like this.
  20. Awesome Possum

Unfortunately true. Most aren’t watching CW though. They tend to stick to another channel.

Spot261 and Reverend like this.