Spoilers Supergirl - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 12, 2016.

1. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Supergirl did tell Cat that Superman is her cousin. Did Kara ever tell Cat that Clark is hers? (Not that it matters, Cat knows.)

Kara beat Rhea “walking kryptonite” Queen of Daxam, where are my complaints about this? Keep them coming, people. What, a woman can't be undefeatable, even with the significant advantage of incapacitating her opponent, only Superman can?

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's known as the Samson principle. ;)

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Skipper likes this.
  3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I just got a haircut. I won't be able to beat Superman either. Maybe next month.

Skipper likes this.
  4. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Would Kara NEED to tell anyone Clark is her cousin? Isn't it public record? Definitely something Cat would know, considering her obsession with Clark, the Jimmy connection, the Lane sisters. Do you think she wouldn't have done background research on her employees, at the very least?

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I don't think the Kent family and the Danvers family are considered cousins, so a public records search would not reveal anything.

Serveaux likes this.
  6. jbny67

jbny67 Captain Captain

From what I recall, she did not say they were cousins, just friends.

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

While I think it's hilarious how some people seem unable to cope the the concept of a man being beaten up by a woman, I have to say I think the episode almost ruined it by repeatedly belabouring the point.
    Honestly I think it would have played better if they didn't call attention to it until Clark himself has to point out to Kara that she beat him. As it stands it felt a little too on the nose.

As for Kat: I don't know, I think it's amusing that she figured out Guardian, The Flash and Supergirl are Jimmy, Barry and Kara but has a total blind-spot when it comes to Clark and Superman.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Wow. Wow. So I sat down with a big bowl of ice cream to watch my absolute favorite show: Supergirl. But what I witnessed, or should I say endured, was extremely upsetting. Supergirl, SuperGIRL, bested SuperMAN.

I see some people in this thread calling it misandry and never before have I seen such truth written out on these boards. I was so traumatized by this plot development that I ripped off my Make America Great Again hat in agony and called up the network.

"How dare you do this?" I said to them. "Is this because you hate men?"

"Yes, it is," the people at the network said. "We hate men."

"Damn," I replied.

"How did you get this number?"

But I hung up, too wrecked with grief. How had my beloved comic book show, The New Adventures of Supergirl, betrayed my entire gender?

9. Phoenix219

What does that have to do with the fact that women and other races can absolutely behave in sexist and racist ways? Past actions are irrelevent. Past actions do not justify current behavior and double standards.

AKA

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right.

10. Phoenix219

Strawman much? No one here has said they expected Supergirl to lose, not by ANY stretch. The same results could have been achieved without the sledgehammer they were using. The additional dialogue made it worse, shining a light on something that should, at most, have been accepted as nothing out of the ordinary. Its also not just this episode - its in the context of every little comment and jab the show has ever made. Coming after the terrible Air Force One scene last week (and a list of "jokes" i won't even bother going into here) it was impossible to miss the spotlight they shine while they preach. It makes TNG look subtle.

The narrative they set up is that Superman, claiming to be completely at full strength, thinking he is fighting ZOD, to save the entire EARTH..... lost. Completely and totally. If this had been real, we would be kneeling before Zod right now. Sorry, that is NOT Superman.

Any number of actual explanations would have worked to get SG into position to save the day, including throwaway lines alluding to Kara's being trained at a government agency, or Clark being weakened from Kryptonite, or subconsciously knowing who he was fighting. That she knew more about the ship /culture because of Mon El, or because of already growing up on Krypton. That Superman would be of more use with James and J'onn doing ground level stuff. It wouldn't be hard to plot a point that doesn't offend half your audience. (By the way, I know some strong females that actually agree with the show going a bit overboard in that department.... this is not as black and white as some arguments make it seem.)

Noname Given likes this.
  11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

speaking of secret identities - I was half expecting Lillian Luthor to blab about Kara to Lena.

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Well, it's been used on the show before from as early as the second episode, but when Martian Manhunter told Superman that they're "Stronger Together" (it was in the subtitles), that's quoting Hillary Clinton's campaign slogan.

[​IMG]

It is my sincere hope that this bit of information doesn't further ruin the episode for you.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  13. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Cat's "measurement" (and other) lines in the penultimate episode of this season, not to mention more of the same in the finale. Regarding Superman losing to Supergirl: if this happened under any other producers, no one would question it, but the showrunners in question have spent two seasons selling "men=bad / men=inferior / men=stupid" dialogue or characterizations, so it is part of an overall agenda, one that (in no surprise) earns the series the kind of analysis & reactions seen on this board and elsewhere.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nonsense.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But the point is to turn the trope on its ass. Similar to The Force Awakens. Joss Wheadon did something similar about twenty years ago. Besides, This is Supergirl's show.

If it were a Superman movie and he beat Supergirl, there would be no controversy. Kryptonians strength doesn't come from the physicality of their muscles and there has never been any reason why Kal should be stronger than Kara.

Personally, I'm very happy my daughter has Supergirl and Star Wars and hopefully Wonder Woman to show her strong women winning the day and being loyal to their values.

{ Emilia } likes this.
  16. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

So you have nothing?

The hysterical overreactions witnessed here are evidence to the contrary.

17. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Actually, the "Stronger Together" episode aired in November 2015, being produced presumably months before that (and with "Stronger Together" being established as the motto of the House of El, it was an integral part of the story, so no last-minute changes there). Hillary Clinton's campaign didn't use the slogan until later.

Now, "Supergirl" has used pro-Hillary dog-whistles before, and quite a lot in the penultimate episodes, and the finale's title was an obvious wink at Elizabeth Warren, but the "Stronger Together" was not such an instance, but a call-back to something established early on in the show.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Their weakness to lead is so extreme that no one had to fight Rhea.

A hand full of powdered lead in her face, and it would be ark of the covenant.

Can you imagine the desperate call to China?

"Please! We need all of your lead paint, we don't have any, anymore, we'll pay top dollar for all the lead paint that you can spare!"

It's a pity they already a cast the president as not Donald Trump, because Twitter would have been hilarious after seeing an orange facsimile on his knees surrendering America to an alien invader.

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  19. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Actually, I'm pretty sure @Locutus of Bored wasn't being entirely serious. ;)

Locutus of Bored likes this.
  20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah, sorry, I was being a bit of a smartass.