Spoilers Stranger Things - Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 8, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started following it when people were getting excited over the trailers, and jumped right in as soon as it came out.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't think I caught it when it first released, since I don't remember seeing any of the trailers leading up to its release. But I do remember online friends talking about it a couple of weeks or so after it came out, and it sounded extremely like my jam, so I checked it out and yeah, I've been a big fan ever since.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

After finishing my re-watch of Season 1, I think that's entirely possible--or at least El and the other children experimented upon are connected to the Upside Down. At one point, Brenner says to El that he will take her home and make her better and that will keep everyone else safe as well. It's been hinted all along that the source of El's powers comes from the Upside Down, but what if the children's psychic powers were used to actually create the dimension?

EDIT: So I am watching the first episode of Season 2 and noticed an inaccurate period detail. Steve refers to Kentucky Fried Chicken as KFC. Maybe that was just an in-joke but it was years before the name was changed.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

To my way of thinking it wouldn't be that she creating that universe so much as shaped it. Imagine for a second that there's a plane of existence where thoughts are as real and physical as a tornado. So basically like The Fade from the Dragon Age franchise; a realm of spirits that mortal minds can usually only touch in dreams.

In it's natural state it would be just a formless chaotic void. But then what happens when a powerful psychic from the physical plane makes contact with such a universe during a moment of extreme stress? You get a psychic projection of our reality as filtered though her mind into it's domain; a reflection, a footprint, both identical and other. Alien. Cancerous and corrupt, just like the Upside Down.
    They also had the wrong toy Millennium Falcon for the era. The engines give it away (in a previous life, I was a collector! ;) )
    This is the kind of stuff that it's best not to sweat. Hardly anyone is going to notice details like that, and there's a portion of the audience that will have no clue what 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' is because to them, it's only ever been "KFC", so do you go with period accuracy, or clarity? Usually clarity wins out.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Heard rumours some of the episodes are VERY long. Anyone else heard this?

6. Okmyx

Okmyx Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not so sure. This is set in the early 80's, I was in grad school then and remember calling it "KFC" even before that. I think that was pretty common back then, kind of like Dunkin for Dunkin Donuts, and recently they finally changed their name to the common reference too.

Skywalker likes this.
  7. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Duffers said so in an interview. Apparently a bunch of the episodes are closer to movie length and the final episode they described as 'a long movie'.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I posted upthread the lengths of the episodes. :p

All episodes are more than an hour long, episodes seven and eight are even longer, and episode nine is two and a half hours.

I also speculated the split would be five and four but according to Tudum (apparently Netflix's news agency), the split is after episode seven.

Starkers likes this.
  9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yep. People called it KFC for ages--why would you say "Kentucky Fried Chicken" in casual conversation when it's way easier to abbreviate it?

10. theenglish

Fun to nitpick though. I have a friend who loves to point out when the wrong model of a car or vehicle is used in historical movies, but I don't think he's ever watched ST.

Probably depended on where you were from and what age group you were.

Reminds me of Dennis Miller's joke when they changed the name. Something like, "KFC? C'mon it's Chicken! How cool can you get?"

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sorry :) 2.5 hours is insane! Presumably that's effectively a ST movie!

12. theenglish

I am a little confused about this. Why not just break up the final episode into three parts and the 100 minute episode into two episodes?

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

All I can think is that they couldn't find a convenient spot to split the episodes without disrupting the flow of the story?

It is odd though. You would think Netflix would want more episodes not fewer longer ones

14. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, they can make the episodes 4 hours if they want. Since it's on TV, I can always hit pause and walk away for anything from a bathroom break to a week at work, and come back when I'm ready. :shrug:

15. The Nth Doctor

I take it as a creative choice as they want to package the individual stories, much like the length of chapters of book can vary wildly. An appropriate parallel considering each epsiode is referred to as a chapter.

Commander Troi likes this.
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that would be my impression too, that they just decided to make the episodes that long because they can be as long as they want, and don't have to worry about TV schedules.
    When Longmire switched over to Netflix, almost ever episode was over an hour.
    I had another thought about why the Upside Down looks like Hawkins, what if it's one of those things where it doesn't actually look like that, but that's just how the characters are seeing it. Maybe everybody who goes there sees it as a twisted version of wherever they came from?

Commander Troi likes this.
  17. The Nth Doctor

Yup, but even more so with this season, as the Duffer brothers have mentioned repeatedly in recent interviews, because they've realized that they still have a lot of the mythology to unravel and need to answer certain questions (while asking new ones). That's part of why this season in particular will be longer.

I suspect the final season will be tighter with the runtimes as they go rushing into the conclusion but that's just a guess on my part.

That's a curious theory but we haven't seen any evidence for it. Based on all of the evidence we've seen so far, the space has been one to one (so to speak), evidenced particularly in season one with Will's communication with Joyce.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I admit I've only watched everything once, so my memory of it isn't super clear.

Starkers likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Final Season 4 Trailer

Quite a bit of new footage, but mostly in montages with no context.

20. The Nth Doctor

I finished up my marathon tonight...and then I couldn't help myself. I watched the eight-minute preview. Fuck.

Only four more days to go!

On a side note, I realized during the final episodes, notably when Robin and Steve are hopped up on drugs, that Maya Hawke reminds me of Lecy Goranson of Roseanne and The Conners fame (as Becky). Same wild eyes and speech mannerisms.