Strange New Worlds Season 2 Trailer

I have eyes and a brain
4lXHNlj.png

Here's another example of personal reinterpretation:

The song "Golden Brown" by the Stranglers is, on its face, a song about a man's sexual relationship with a woman. It is also metaphorically about his previous use of heroin. Textually, the song is comparing heroin use to an unhealthy sexual relationship, and is about the sadness both cause the narrator.

But the first time I heard the song, I couldn't pick up on all the lyrics and wasn't able to analyze the metaphor. What I did pick up on was the profound melancholy and the references to having been happy with someone. I heard it at a time when I was mourning the death of my grandmother. Because of that, to me, "Golden Brown" will always be a song about grief and loss, and about missing my grandmother.

That personal reinterpretation is in flagrant contradiction to the plain meaning of the text. It literally required me not hearing the lyrics referring to the narrator's lover as a "temptress," because I sure as hell wouldn't have associated the song with my grandmother if I had heard those lyrics initially. But I didn't, so "Golden Brown" means something very different to me than it was ever intended.

But I would never argue that "Golden Brown" is about the death of my grandmother, or even that it's about grief and loss per se. That's my subjective reinterpretation. Textually, it's about a toxic relationship as a metaphor for heroin use.

Loving tribute?

Absolutely! The affection Lower Decks has for Star Trek is clear if you watch it with an open mind. Lower Decks never mocks Star Trek -- it affectionately ribs it for its sillier tropes, but the respect and love Lower Decks has for Star Trek is clear. In particular, you should note that the earnest feelings of enthusiasm for service with Starfleet that Tendi and Boimler have are never mocked or disrespected, and that a key character arc has been Mariner's personal growth manifesting as becoming a better officer.

We all have eyes, too. Some of our eyes are connected to brains that can understand that Trek made in 2023 isn't going to look like Trek made in the 1960s and is capable of evolving to include various ways of telling the Trek story.
But a show made in 2023 MIGHT look exactly like 1987.

Some of the characters on Lower Decks are bigger Star Trek fans than the people on this board.

Entertainment is always evolving and feeding off each other's ideas. That's how art works. That's how creation works

Indeed, the original Star Trek was clearly influenced by a number of earlier works of art, including the film Forbidden Planet, the Horatio Hornblower novels, 19th Century British colonialist adventure stories, film and television Westerns, Shakespeare, and early police procedurals like Dragnet.

But a show made in 2023 MIGHT look exactly like 1987.

Some of the characters on Lower Decks are bigger Star Trek fans than the people on this board.
That’s the thing. They act like they know they are in a trek show. It’s a meta parody. It would make more sense if the show was a holo program that cadets could watch rather than events “actually” taking place in the trek universe.

Entertainment is always evolving and feeding off each other's ideas. That's how art works. That's how creation works

Or paramount just decided to copy the MCU. Kurtzman tried his Dark Universe (which failed) so he tried to make a Star Trek Universe. Just keep pumping out content so people will stay subscribed.

I think those people lack discernment.
To discern what exactly? STAR TREK, as a brand, is designed as a multi-modal story telling sandbox. It's not just one flavor. So, saying "This is insulting to Trek" or "this isn't Trek" is missing the point and, in my opinion, lacks awareness of what Trek was set up to do.
Nah. People just like different things.
Diversity? No, can't have that. Unless we follow orders, and repeat the past, and do things exactly the same way we can never enjoy Trek properly.

Back