Strange New Worlds Season 2 Trailer

It’s not the same universe and that’s all there is to it.

No, it is the same universe. You don't own Star Trek and don't get to decide whether or not it's all the same universe. Paramount owns Star Trek, and Paramount says it's all the same universe. You can personally reinterpret it as a separate universe in your own mind, but that's not the actual text. The actual text is that it's all the same universe.

Lower Decks to regular Trek is like Hot Shots to Top Gun.

No, Lower Decks is to regular Star Trek as The Mary Tyler Moore Show is to Lou Grant.

No, it is the same universe. You don't own Star Trek and don't get to decide whether or not it's all the same universe. Paramount owns Star Trek, and Paramount says it's all the same universe. You can personally reinterpret it as a separate universe in your own mind, but that's not the actual text. The actual text is that it's all the same universe.

No, Lower Decks is to regular Star Trek as The Mary Tyler Moore Show is to Lou Grant.
I don’t care what paramount says. I have eyes and a brain with a memory. Another example would be Scary Movie and Scream.

You can do whatever you like with your own head-canon, but the fact remains that the Producers have stated it's all the same Universe and sticking your fingers in your ears going LA-LA-LA-LA, isn't going to change that.

There is an epidemic of this amongst a vocal minority of the fans….

I don’t care what paramount says. I have eyes and a brain with a memory.

So do I. It's all the same universe.

Listen, you can reinterpret a text any way you like. A really extreme example of reinterpreting a text to mean something new is this: there are people today who will look at a text like The Taming of the Shrew and use nontraditional casting and new acting choices to turn it into a production that mocks misogyny and the gender binary. But that's a reinterpretation; on its face, the original text is blatantly misogynistic and supports the gender binary. That's just what the text is, plainly. Attempts to reinterpret it inherently mean subverting the plain meaning of the text.

You can reinterpret Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Lower Decks, Star Trek: Prodigy, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds as being in a different universe if you want. That's your prerogative as an audience member. But your personal reinterpretation is not the actual text. The text is what it is -- and it's all the same universe.

Another example would be Scary Movie and Scream.

Absolutely not. Scary Movie is mocking Scream, not paying it loving tribute. Lower Decks pays loving tribute to Star Trek rather than mocking it.

You can do whatever you like with your own head-canon, but the fact remains that the Producers have stated it's all the same Universe and sticking your fingers in your ears going LA-LA-LA-LA, isn't going to change that.
Of course it doesn’t change what they said. I acknowledge they said it. I’m saying I don’t care about their opinion. I have eyes.

So do I. It's all the same universe.

Listen, you can reinterpret a text any way you like. A really extreme example of reinterpreting a text to mean something new is this: there are people today who will look at a text like The Taming of the Shrew and use nontraditional casting and new acting choices to turn it into a production that mocks misogyny and the gender binary. But that's a reinterpretation; on its face, the original text is blatantly misogynistic and supports the gender binary. That's just what the text is, plainly. Attempts to reinterpret it inherently mean subverting the plain meaning of the text.

You can reinterpret Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Lower Decks, Star Trek: Prodigy, and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds as being in a different universe if you want. That's your prerogative as an audience member. But your personal reinterpretation is not the actual text. The text is what it is -- and it's all the same universe.

Absolutely not. Scary Movie is mocking Scream, not paying it loving tribute. Lower Decks pays loving tribute to Star Trek rather than mocking it.
Loving tribute?

Sigh.

It’s not the same universe and that’s all there is to it. I can enjoy both universes. Lower Decks to regular Trek is like Hot Shots to Top Gun.
cSHtzfz.gif

Back