Still No DSC Casting Announcement for New Captain?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Vger23, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pike was on Saru’s list of great captains or whatever

2. Abi Smith

Abi Smith Commander Red Shirt

You know who'd be great?
    Christian Slater.
    He could the father of the Comms Officer in TUC.

jaime likes this.
  3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

we have no captain but Killy

4. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're well aware that they're taking that risk every time they make a decision on a back-wall knob color. Part of the job.

Vger23 and XCV330 like this.
  5. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh. The whole "mission" thing is a shit taco. We're exploring the fronteirs. No, wait, we're in the middle of Federation space. Actually, we're at the edge of the galaxy. Kidding. Nope, the center of the galaxy... because... we... warp bigly?

Nerys Myk likes this.
  6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

They've already got Spock's step-sister and presumably a very young William Decker on board, not to mention the chance they could always encounter Commodore Paris if she's not bogged down with protomolocule stuff. I hope they avoid the ship being a flying family reunion.

7. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I know you're just joking, but I've had this tinfoil hat speculation for awhile that the Patrick Stewart rumors are only half true in that he's not negotiating for a TNG reunion show, he's negotiating to be on Discovery. Not as Captain Picard, because that would blow a hole in the entire universe, but as a new character. Have any of you ever seen the movie 'The Green Room' (also staring Anton Yelchin)? Stewart can play the sociopath-type Captains the Disco writers seem to like.

Again, totally tinfoil hat speculation. But I just can't help myself.

8. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

He's too iconic. That would be like bringing Shatner back as Admiral Cork. no one is going to buy it or be happy with it. Put him in an ironic cameo, sure, everyone would love that.

jaime likes this.
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree that it would be inappropriate for Sir Pat to play *the* Picard. He could still play *a* Picard, though. ;)

10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't Jean-Luc the first in a long while to go to space and leave the baguettes, berets and bordeauxs behind? :shifty:

Unless... they replace the Spore Drive with the Wine Drive in season 2! :p

11. Mr. Laser Beam

The Picard of 2257 doesn't have to leave the solar system to be in Starfleet.

I mean, remember ENT? Admiral Forrest, IIRC, only left Earth once for the entire run of the show (when he visited the United Earth embassy on Vulcan). Yet he was still an important character.

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

We don't know what Admiral Forrest's service record, but assuming past travel involved Warp 3, since we never see him on an NX or on Franklin. If Wp3 = 27 * c and if Vulcan is actually 16 LY away, that's still a pretty significantly long trip.
    At TOS speeds, it's a walk in the park. There's no excusable reason for a starfleet officer NOT to have left the reason. It just makes no sense, having a Picard on this show, and there's already enough relatives.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Then again, 2257 Picard doesn't even have to be in Starfleet. He could be a civilian. Maybe a Federation government official or something like that.

14. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Or we could try to have as little previouly known characters/ancestors of characters we already know who look exactly like their descendants but older as possible.

PiotrB, Vger23 and Kibbin like this.
  15. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

But then how else would you know this is supposed to be Star Trek? I've already got a previously unmentioned sister, a recast of a guest role, a return to a well known parallel universe and now a redesign of the uniform. Next you'll want them to not have the Klingons look like Klingons or not have plots about genuine exploration. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

16. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you seriously telling me you don't wanna see Ensign Barry Kim(age 50) manning the OPS station on Discovery?! :p

Jinn and Kibbin like this.
  17. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Well, it's right there in the title sequence :p

Admittedly, I haven't considered that possibility. But only under one condition, namely I want Barry Kim to also be related to Travis Mayweather; I think if we are to connect to characters from different Trek series these two would fit together really well :D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    dahj, Jesse1066 and Kibbin like this.
  18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

If the show goes that route can everyone just wear an awkward family reunion shirt instead of a uniform, and add a couple of more Deckers dying in semi-helpful ways.

Mad Jack Wolfe likes this.
  19. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like this?
    [​IMG]

Except I don't like the idea of Patrick Stewart playing anyone other that Jean-Luc Picard
    Anyone else will feel like a cheap cop-out

20. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Like Tom Decker, who valiantly gave his life fighting back the onslaught of an overflowing toilet.
    Pat Decker, who saved his crew by (involuntarily) using his body to plug a hull breach.
    Raymond Decker, who saved his away team by trying to give a Klingon Targ a tummy rub.

XCV330 likes this.