News Starfleet Academy Coming to P+

I'm fine with that. I mean, even SNW and DSC and PIC have varying degrees of f/x quality and they've all been produced simultaneously.

There could be parallels. How many planet off the weeks were there in early DS9 vs shows completely set on the station?

Honestly, there were more off-station stories early on, I feel like, when they were recycling old TNG scripts. Felt like they stuck more to the station/Defiant later.

It sort of makes sense, and kind of affirms my fear of this being -insert throwaway CW show- In Space.

They don't need fancy VFX for angsty teeny bopper "love" stories.

I'm fine with that. I mean, even SNW and DSC and PIC have varying degrees of f/x quality and they've all been produced simultaneously.
I am looking forward to seeing what they do with this larger set and the cast and stories. Students at the Academy offer me a far greater insight in to this world that a lot of other crews.

There could be parallels. How many planet off the weeks were there in early DS9 vs shows completely set on the station?

Honestly, there were more off-station stories early on, I feel like, when they were recycling old TNG scripts. Felt like they stuck more to the station/Defiant later.

I did a quick look inside my brain (it actually took me longer to type this than remember the episodes) to see if there really were more planetside episodes (having at least a scene or two outside, or outside in a holosuite like "TAKE ME OUT TO THE HOLOSUITE") in the early seasons or not. This is what I got off the top of my head...

"EMISSARY"
"BATTLE LINES"
"THE STORYTELLER"
"PROGRESS"
"IN THE HANDS OF THE PROPHETS"
"THE HOMECOMING"
"THE CIRCLE"
"THE SIEGE"
"CARDASSIANS"
"THE ALTERNATE"
"ARMAGEDDON GAME"
"PARADISE"
"SHADOWPLAY"
"BLOOD OATH"
"THE MAQUIS, PART I"
"THE MAQUIS, PART II"
"THE COLLABORATOR"
"THE JEM'HADAR"
"THE SEARCH, PART I"
"THE SEARCH, PART II"
"MERIDIAN"
"PAST TENSE, PART I"
"PAST TENSE, PART II"
"SHAKAAR"
"HIPPOCRATIC OATH"
"INDISCRETION"
"LITTLE GREEN MEN"
"HOMEFRONT
"PARADISE LOST"
"THE QUICKENING"
"TO THE DEATH"
"BROKEN LINK"
"THE SHIP"
"NOR THE BATTLE TO THE STRONG"
"LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT..."
"THE ASCENT"
"CHILDREN OF TIME"
"ROCKS AND SHOALS"
"WALTZ"
"FAR BEYOND THE STARS"
"HONOR AMONG THIEVES"
"CHANGE OF HEART"
"TIME'S ORPHAN"
"IMAGE IN THE SAND"
"SHADOWS AND SYMBOLS"
"AFTERIMAGE"
"TAKE OUT TO THE HOLOSUITE"
"THE SIEGE OF AR-558"
"PENUMBRA"
"THE DOGS OF WAR"
"WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND"

I didn't include the ones that were set entirely in caves with no scenes of people outside, like "VORTEX" or "HEART OF STONE". Some, like "WALTZ", were included because there were actual scenes outside the caves.

Seasons 1-3: 25 episodes
Seasons 4-7: 28 episodes

It's surprisingly close, with seasons ranging from 5 - 8 episodes each. Season two, though, has 13... half the season. That may certainly have given the impression of DS9 being more planetside than later seasons, by comparison.

Although some would say only seasons 1 and 2 are the early years, so that changes things.

Seasons 1-2: 19 episodes
Seasons 3-7: 34 episodes

They want to Bajor quite a bit in the first season of DS9.:shrug:

That said, they've made very good use of their AR wall technology; and that's really cut down on any location shooting in Toronto or anywhere else.

ETA: Corrected a typo.

Last edited:
They want to Bajor quite a bit in the first season of DS9.:shrug:
Did they? I only recall three visits. Emissary, The Storyteller, and In the Hands of the Prophets. And technically Kira goes to Bajor in Babel, but she stays in orbit and we see a wall in the scientist's office just before she kidnaps him...I guess that makes four. And it's possible I missed some. :)

Did they? I only recall three visits. Emissary, The Storyteller, and In the Hands of the Prophets. And technically Kira goes to Bajor in Babel, but she stays in orbit and we see a wall in the scientist's office just before she kidnaps him...I guess that makes four. And it's possible I missed some. :)

No, you are correct... only 3 times on Bajor in season 1. Kira was only in orbit in "BABEL".

Back