News Starfleet Academy Coming to P+

Kids are just not into toys that much anymore, they'd rather have electronic games.

Although Lego still seems to be fairly popular, but I'm not sure the split between adults and kids.

No it wasn't.

At the very least it wasn't the primary reason.

It was A primary reason. But not the only one.
Bring in young kids, new fans. Sell toys. Just like TMNT, G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc.
That's why in the new Playmates series the line was dominated by Prodigy figures.

Kids are just not into toys that much anymore, they'd rather have electronic games.

Yeah. My son is ten now. We stopped buying him new toys about a year ago. He still asks for them periodically, but we know that most of his free time is going to be spent on his tablet playing Minecraft or something, with much of the remainder spent on things like Pokémon cards. It's just not worth wasting the money on buying something that will sit on a shelf unused.

Yeah. My son is ten now. We stopped buying him new toys about a year ago. He still asks for them periodically, but we know that most of his free time is going to be spent on his tablet playing Minecraft or something, with much of the remainder spent on things like Pokémon cards. It's just not worth wasting the money on buying something that will sit on a shelf unused.
What do you have against collectibles? ;)

Toy companies seem almost lost right now. Playmates is doing recreations of 90s TMNT line, and Hasbro is trying a less articulated 4" line for Star Wars and Marvel.

It's strange.

They're aiming at adults more. Kids don't care as much about toys, they want to phone/tablet/console games.

The toys draw in adult collectors.

My nephew is 5. There's some random toys he wants, but his #1 ask is "ROBLOX GIFTCARD!"

Toy companies seem almost lost right now. Playmates is doing recreations of 90s TMNT line, and Hasbro is trying a less articulated 4" line for Star Wars and Marvel.

It's strange.

As a former collector of ‘80’s Star Wars action figures, I was happy to see the retro collection (first with Grand Moff Tarkin who they never made before.) However, they’re making those types of figures with new characters from the new shows, rather than making what in my opinion they should be making: characters from the OT like Tarkin that they never made back then. And while they finally made a Mon Mothma figure, it comes packaged with 5 other figures they made previously, which is annoying because if I want Mothma, I have to buy five figs I don’t want. Even I could have come up with 5 characters they didn’t make before:

1. Aunt Beru
2. Uncle Owen
3. Biggs on Tatooine
4. Dr. Evazan
5. Rebel soldier on the Tantive IV

How hard would it have been to make those?

What do you have against collectibles? ;)

Admittedly, I'm not that kind of nerd. I'm not into...things. Purged all my toys when I turned 13, happily throwing them all away. Most of the practical objects I own I maintain pretty poorly, so they get scratched, rusted, broken, etc.

My son seems to like collecting things (got that from my wife) but he's also really clumsy and breaks stuff a lot (got it from me).

As a former collector of ‘80’s Star Wars action figures

I was too, but we're talking early 2000's. I was only into the original figures, and most of the fun was finding them... the hobby died with the rise of the internet, as what used to be a fun thing to dig around in a toy bin at a flea market to find a figure any pay $1 for became just... having the figures on display and priced out at like $40.

Sucked all the fun out of it.

I remember the exact moment it died. I forget what figure it was, but I was at a garage sale and among a bunch of random crap I found one single old SW figure. I asked how much it was, the guy pulled out his phone, looked up the price on ebay and I was like "nah, nevermind".

Admittedly, I'm not that kind of nerd. I'm not into...things. Purged all my toys when I turned 13, happily throwing them all away. Most of the practical objects I own I maintain pretty poorly, so they get scratched, rusted, broken, etc.

My son seems to like collecting things (got that from my wife) but he's also really clumsy and breaks stuff a lot (got it from me).

The worst of both worlds!

(I kid, of course - collecting is rad; it’s just not for me either.)

"There's a lot of different kids from a lot of different places. Some of them want to be there, some of them don’t want to be there. It’s gonna be a fundamental reinforcement of all the things we love about Starfleet, in general. You always want to ask yourself, 'Why this show now?' I think that one of the big things that certainly my 17-year-old son is facing, which is kind of a fundamental 'Star Trek' question, is, 'How did we get here? How has this generation inherited the mistakes from previous generations? And what are we gonna do to fix it, to build that optimistic future that is Roddenberry’s essential vision?' That is very much going to be at the heart of Starfleet Academy ."

The series aims to cater to a new generation while welcoming back long-time fans, but it may not air until 2026.

Wait, what? 2026? Paramount+ might be dead and buried long before then. Not to mention two years of waning interest in a show premise that nobody asked for to begin with. Are they now taking cues from the Kelvin timeline films?

And even if P+ does survive, the next two years will be just, what? SNW and LDS?

So much for 'Star Trek: Legacy," all you Matalas-worshippers.

Last edited:
"There's a lot of different kids from a lot of different places. Some of them want to be there, some of them don’t want to be there. It’s gonna be a fundamental reinforcement of all the things we love about Starfleet, in general. You always want to ask yourself, 'Why this show now?' I think that one of the big things that certainly my 17-year-old son is facing, which is kind of a fundamental 'Star Trek' question, is, 'How did we get here? How has this generation inherited the mistakes from previous generations? And what are we gonna do to fix it, to build that optimistic future that is Roddenberry’s essential vision?' That is very much going to be at the heart of Starfleet Academy ."
To me that actually sounds really interesting and promising. I’d really like to seem them succeed with this, because I agree with Kurtzman that these are some very interesting questions to ponder. And the far future timeframe* and the “Burn” backstory make for an interesting setting to look at young people who’ll inherit this world. If done right this could wonderfully explore some age-old and yet still very timely questions.

* By the way, it’s interesting that Kurtzman is playing coy with answering the question about the exact setting. Here I thought this was already pretty established. Will they yet surprise us all and have this somehow take place in several timeframes or something like that?

Wait, what? 2026? Paramount+ might be dead and buried long before then. Not to mention two years of waning interest in a show premise that nobody asked for to begin with. Are they now taking cues from the Kelvin timeline films?

And even if P+ does survive, the next two years will be just, what? SNW and LDS?

So much for 'Star Trek: Legacy," all you Matalas-worshippers.
Discovery is in 2024, SNW in 2025, SFA and S31 in 2026.
If there is a Picard legacy show, it would probably film after SFA. Last I heard they were putting together a pitch and a bible, but no writers room or casting was greenlit.
Section 31 is probably next to film, and I imagine they will use whatever Discovery and Academy sets are available; although they would make their own "Hero" bridge I'm sure.

Back