Spoilers Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Commander Richard, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Grade the movie.

1. A+

13.8%
  2. A

17.6%
  3. A-

14.8%
  4. B+

13.8%
  5. B

7.2%
  6. B-

6.6%
  7. C+

3.1%
  8. C

5.9%
  9. C-

5.9%
  10. D+

1.4%
  11. D

2.1%
  12. D-

2.8%
  13. F

5.2%
  1. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't judging. It's just one of those classics from the 90's, like pulp fiction.

Who am I to talk, I still haven't gotten to see the new Star Wars movie.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Haven't seen Pulp Fiction either ;)

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nor I. But at least that's one I've heard of.

I saw Ralph Bakshi's Cool World. Once. I won't say that I wish I could un-see it, but I will say that it could be described as "Roger Rabbit on a really bad acid trip."

4. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it's more like one of those near classic movies from the 90's, like Jackie Brown.

5. hbquikcomjamesl

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Hardware Wars, When I was a cub scout/boy scout we would watch it when we went camping.

7. fireproof78

Now, I'm really sorry.

8. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In other words, it’s the book version of ...Roger Rabbit.

9. hbquikcomjamesl

No; I read the book (unlike Oz, I liked the movie better). Who Censored . . . was Roger Rabbit after a few mild joints, at most; Cool World was Roger Rabbit on a large dose of really nasty acid.

Full disclosure: I don't do recreational drugs, ever, not even legal ones, and I generally decline prescriptions for anything potentially mind-altering. I find the whole sensation of being high to be utterly revolting.

About what? Sorry you didn't see it? Alibris has the DVD for what looks like as little as $12. Sorry I did see it? Don't be; it's a bizarre movie, but I did not say that it was something I wished I could un-see. Wondering whether or not to see it? Well, to coin a tagline (and a suggestively named character), Holli Would.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, none at all? None of the first three Mad Maxes, none of the Lethal Weapons, not even Braveheart?
    I haven't seen that one either, but I have seen quite a few of his other movies, well movies starring Mel Gibson, the only movie he directed I've seen is Braveheart.
    Wow, that's a random name to drop. The only reason I have any awareness of Cool World is because my family's old VHS copy of STVI: The Undiscovered Country.
    Ralph Bakshi did do make some strange movies. I've never seen it, but Wizards looks completely batshit insane.

I have seen Fire & Ice, which I thought was actually pretty good.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

There's an isolated music track available on the digital version of TLJ. I wish it was on the disc itself though

12. hbquikcomjamesl

Uh, no. Other than Chicken Run, Mel Gibson movies were never to my taste. Other than ST and SW, my taste runs more towards Mel Brooks comedies, and old musicals (e.g., The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Singin' in the Rain, &c.) Oh, and of course, Edwards & Stone's 1776.

As to Bakshi, well, I said that I didn't wish I could un-see Cool World, but that's not the case with the hatchet-job he did on LotR. Xerographing hastily retouched (if retouched at all) frame-blowups of your reference footage onto cels is NOT rotoscoping! And besides, LotR was about more than just one battle between the good guys and the orcs after another. (And I'm told that Robert Crumb, the cartoonist who created Fritz the Cat, wasn't exactly thrilled with Bakshi's interpretation of his work.)

13. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This deleted scene, above all the rest is fantastic:

While most of the deleted scenes are of the usual disposable fare, this one in particular should have been left in. It would have greatly changed the tone of Luke and Rey and their highly important relationship in this film.

Fan edit it back in. It's got kind of a Return of the Jedi tribal vs the 'imperial war machine' flavor. She completely loses faith in the Skywalker legend in this scene and taking it out really did the interaction between the two some injustice because this scene lands better. This scene gives the movie more heart. It gives Ahch-to as a location more soul. It was a mistake to remove it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a M.A.S.H. episode on TV today and it had a Rose in it.

I thought I was starting to lose my mind.

15. fireproof78

[​IMG]

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. hbquikcomjamesl

I agree.
    For some reason, though, the anticlimax of the scene makes me think about the (pure BS) backstory many "Mongolian Barbecue"* chains circulate, about the Mongol Hordes thowing parties for conquered villages who capitulate without a fight.

_____
    *The real reason it's called "Mongolian Barbecue" (despite being neither Mongolian nor barbecue) is that it's a much catchier name than "Taiwanese Teppanyaki."

ALF likes this.
  18. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is Gravity on the bomber (you see Paige fall), the bombs are not just going to just stop falling because they hit space. It's simple physics.

According to the visual dictionary they're also magnetically launched.

Also TIE Bombers dropped bombs in ESB. Though that asteroid had some gravity.

ALF and fireproof78 like this.
  19. fireproof78

It's funny how Empire does it and its ok. TLJ does it and its kind of weird :rolleyes:

20. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fine, but that scene still rubs me the wrong way for other reasons.