Spoilers Star Wars Resistance Season One discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by ALF, Sep 30, 2018.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True. He's awesome. I find myself unable to come up with a reason why I wouldn't want to be friends with BB-8. It's funny too, because that droid spends the first act of The Force Awakens doing what? - making friends.

Anyone see Secrets and Holograms yet? It was excellent - and Kaz was considerably more tolerable when around Torra. Those two have an odd sort of chemistry together and both of them seem less grating playing off each other.

Thanks for this, an awesome read!

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Secrets and Holograms was pretty good. If anything, it convinced me Torra would have been a better choice to be the series lead than Kaz, her quirkiness is actually entertaining and it is more enjoyable to watch than Kaz always screwing up. Though, this episode did make Kaz look like less of a bumbling ass than usual.

Captain Doza being a former Imperial officer was an interesting development, and I'm interested in seeing if the expand on that at all.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm sure they will. Kaz seems to be assuming Doza is jumping into an arrangement with the First Order, whereas what we've seen shows him to be far more ambivalent about them and how they're having to put the screws to him.

5. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Leia's new voice actress is Carolyn Hennesy.

I have to say, she does not capture Carrie's voice as well as the actress who was fired.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Unfortunately, the conventional wisdom among network execs and advertisers is still that children's action TV needs to focus on male characters in order to be profitable. Yet the coolest characters in Star Wars animation are always the women. At least we have Forces of Destiny.

I hadn't heard that they'd replaced Rachel Butera, but I'd expected they would, so I'm not surprised. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard a Leia voice actor who sounded much like Fisher.

7. Tuskin38

I think that Resistance episode is the first time we've seen a First Order Sentry Droid deploy outside of Battlefront 2.

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Station Theta Black" was better than average.

But I really can't see why the station would be left abandoned. It should have been blown up when it was depopulated, or leave a crew aboard until time to blow it up. Poe and Kaz blowing up one of the explosive sets was super-dodgy.

I really liked how Tam pulled the stabilizer out of hammerspace and then put it back.

Carolyn Hennesy was great as Leia, as far as I'm concerned.

10. The Wormhole

This probably was the best Resistance episode so far, though to be fair the last two or three episodes have been a step up for the show. I think the second half of the season may be stronger, since it seems the writers are learning what works for the show.

Poe was all kinds of awesome this week, and this might be the first time I bought him as the Resistance's Most Heroic that they've been implying he was since TFA. Also, I'm noticing Kaz works a lot better as someone's sidekick than he does as a leading character.

ALF likes this.
  11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Leia's Most Daring (as per the TFA opening crawl).

The Wormhole likes this.
  12. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, now that I'm finally caught up on this show, I read through this thread as well.

As many others have said, it does feel a bit more child-aimed than Clone Wars or Rebels, but as hoped for, it is indeed picking up as we work through the episodes.

Biggest issue early on is trying to figure out how old Kaz is supposed to be. He doesn't look like a child, but he sure as hell acts like one.

Congratulations, you just blew my mind.

That said, I'll also agree with others that the Colossus is one of the most interesting parts of the show. And while Kaz has flown many other places in just the first 10 episodes, this really does feel like a unique Star Wars show in that it has a home base type of main location setting.

A few random thoughts on recent episodes:

-I like those turtle mechanics that keep the place running. More of them please.

-Synara is still on the station, right?

-While I liked the Platform Classic, I didn't like it quite as much as others here. It felt like Yeager agreeing to race again deserved a bit more buildup. And I would have liked more backstory about the split between him and his brother than what we got. That said, I really liked the look of his brother's astromech!

-Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I love CB-23! She's a great surprise addition to the show. BB-8 has all the girlfriends!

The last two episodes are where it really started to get to the good stuff for me. The one with Poe and Kaz investigating the abandoned station was really cool. Even if the Stormtroopers had worse than Stormtrooper aim and even if it made no sense whatsoever for Phasma to blow up the station in the delayed manner in which she did. Doesn't matter because it was still a really cool episode. And I liked the idea of Kaz using a asteroid to protect himself from the explosion. Even if it was revealed right afterwards that he could fly out the other side of the asteroid, since there was a huge hole in it, thus not really offering him any protection from the explosion. Doesn't matter, cuz it was cool.

Not quite sure I buy the idea that the First Order is just going to make a WHOLE LOT of blasters. I'd like to imagine that was actually a clue to a bigger threat. But yeah, just a cool episode overall. The animation style made Phasma look fantastic!

The prior episode with Kaz and Torra sneaking around the High Tower was probably my favorite of the season so far though. Kaz finally did some spying. Halfway competently even, and got some good intel for Poe and Leia. I also like that the show is telling a surprisingly good story for Captain Doza. Little kids watching might not pick up on all his hesitations about the First Order, but his reluctance to deal with them is obvious, and his apparent reveal as a former Imperial officer is a pretty cool one. The show has done a good job of placing him in a very difficult situation, trying to keep the Colossus safe from multiple threats. Torra does a great job of making the episode fun too. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but so far she's a far more interesting and fun character than Tam. I love that she has suspicions about Kaz.

I'm definitely hooked on this show now. When's the next episode?

ALF likes this.
  13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, yes, of course. If the substance is useful in weapons, then presumably it's being used for Starkiller Base's main weapon -- in the same way that the kyber crystals used for lightsabers were also used in bulk to power the Death Star's planet-killer beam. But the characters have no idea that the First Order is working on anything as big as Starkiller Base, so they don't understand the scale of what the material is for.

14. kitik

Answering my own question, looks like regular episodes return in January, but they released some all new shorts on youtube, some of which are actually pretty cool.

The first set of 3 are pretty much Kaz/Neeku/BB-8 centric:

Pretty harmless if you want to watch them. They're only about 60 seconds each. But they kind of feel like they're set in the present time, like after episodes 9 or 10 or whatever. And I'm sure everyone will appreciate that second one. They're all nice and fun though.

Booji likes this.
  15. kitik

The next set of three are much more interesting, starring Flix and Orka

That last one isn't much, but those first two are pretty cool. Slightly longer than the first set of 3 shorts too.

If you're one of the folks who can't see youtube videos embedded on trekbbs, just head over to yt and check out the "Disney Channel" youtube channel. The first three were uploaded a week ago, but the 3 with Flix and Orka were just uploaded today.

Booji likes this.
  16. kitik

Alert: 3 more of those Resistance shorts dropped this week!

One of them features Bucket (what was the point of introducing Bucket if BB-8 is going to get all the attention anyway?), two of them show Hype Fazon, and two of them show Hype Fazon's droid R4-T77. (Not the same two, go figure!) One of them felt rather incomplete.

R4-T77 has an interesting design. Have we seen anything like it before?

17. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Do they say things only once in this?

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I imagine it's because 1) kids love BB-8, which 2) sells toys, plus 3) once ths show catches up to TFA they probably won't be able to use him as much, so it's nice to have Bucket in reserve.

19. Tuskin38

Huh?

The head looks familiar.

20. The Wormhole

So I see on IMDB and Wikipedia new episodes return January 13.

ALF and Booji like this.