Star Wars Books Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mr Light, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

I wonder how much of that comes from the fact that Revan was... well, you. The player. The reveal in KOTOR is pretty much the game's big "oh shit!" moment, where you realize that YOU are the Dark Lord of the Sith. Which colors the context of every choice you've made the entire game, for dark or light. The memory wipe plot allows them to both have the evil Revan character, and the complete cypher of the player character which you can project onto however you see fit and both are equally valid.

I feel like a lot of the propping up of Revan is due to that fact. Which is a little odd, because you don't see nearly as much for Meetra Surik, even though she is the "official" version of the player character from KOTOR2. Which could stem from the fact that KOTOR2 was such an unfinished game, or maybe that they had to give the character a name beyond simply The Exile to work her into any of the other Legends materials, thus killing some of that player projection vibe that is so strong with Revan.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It wasn't just the quantity for me, but the quality too. 'Darksaber' turned into a great disappointment, the Corellian Trilogy was a bunch of meandering nothing, Crystal Star was utterly dire and I never even finished Planet of Twilight or the Black Fleet Crisis because they were so utterly forgettable (seriously, I can't remember a thing about either of them!) In hindsight I wished I'd gotten into the X-Wing novels back then, but I only got around to reading them just a few years ago....though even then, if I'm honest the quality of those just sort of tails off too, after the author switch.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Set Harth likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there was no real hook for me after a time. The amount made it more daunting but I wasn't exactly invested from the word go.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like usual, I'm the opposite, I like the fact that the books and comics are expanding the universe, and introducing new idea characters instead of just focusing on the big names.
    And they aren't totally ignoring the movie characters, we've gotten several books focused on each of the major characters from all three trilogies, along with the Ahsoka book.
    For me the whole reason the books exist is to fill in the gaps, and dive deep into the characters, they're not there move things forward or give us the big events, that's what the shows and movies are for.
    They seem to have pretty much settled on specific purposes for each medium, the movies and shows are the big event stories, the comics give us the medium stories that fill in the gaps around the movies, and books give us the smaller more character driven stories. This works really well for me, because it's really playing to each medium's strengths.

5. fireproof78

I do really appreciate that aspect of recognizing that each medium has a specific strength and audience reach.

Reverend likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I won't bother linking it since it's just a rumour and should be taken with a grain of salt regardless, but there's been some chatter (some as is typical claim to have inside sources) about a possible High Republic based animated series.

As rumours go, this one seems fairly credible just from a purely business standpoint. They're clearly making a big multimedia push for the the new High Republic era of storytelling, and the one missing component here to anchor it all is some kind of movie, show, or video game.
    There has been talk of three animated projects being worked on by LF. We know one is the 'Bad Batch', and HR would seem like an obvious choice for the second, and if OTHER rumours are true, that'd make the Sabine/Ahsoka show the third.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm half expecting some kind of screen media for The High Republic at some point.
    If they do go for a Ahsoka and Sabine series, I wonder if they'd have Ashley Eckstein or Rosario Dawson due her voice.
    Have any of the books ever given an approximate timeframe for how much of "a long time ago" the franchise takes place?

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see no reason to assume they wouldn't go with Ashley Eckstein. Just like The Bad Batch is still going to go with Dee Bradley Baker to do the Clone voices despite Temuera Morrison now playing Boba Fett on The Mandalorian.

Allyn Gibson and Jinn like this.
  10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

A High Republic show would make sense as a companion piece to Bad Batch, with the former focusing on Jedi adventures and the latter focusing on military (well, mercenary) action/adventure.

11. fireproof78

No. Why?

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking about trying my hand at a modern day Star Wars story, and I was curious if any official sources have ever given an Earth date for the stories we've gotten. I know I can just make things up, but I wanted to stick as close as I could to the official stuff.

13. fireproof78

Lucas treated "long time ago" as "once upon a time." So, I would be surprised if anything ever nailed down a specific date and I doubt it would hold much weight any way.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's really not something that should be quantified. That way lies madness and fan fiction Star Trek/Doctor Who crossovers...

Here's the thing with Star Wars; it's meant to be a fairy tale. You could jump things forward 25,000 years to a time when Luke Skywalker really IS a myth and it'll still be "...A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far Far Away..."

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up Rebel Rising last night, and I really liked it. It was basically a biography for Jynn, starting before the end of the Rogue One opening scene, and going all the way past her rescue from the prison. It really did a great job of showing why she felt the way she did about both the Empire and the Rebellion, and where all of the skills she had came from. It also got a bit darker than I was expecting at times. If you like Rogue One or Jyn Erso at all, I highly recommend it. Don't let the fact that it's technically a YA book scare you off, it really doesn't go into any of the tropes you typically expect from a YA book.

Reverend and Janeway’s Girl like this.
  16. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved Rebel Rising! Glad you enjoyed it!

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm finding myself tempted to give some of Beth Revis's original stuff a try once I get through more of the stuff I already own and haven't read.

18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I just finished the ESB edition of "From A Certain Point of View." I enjoyed it. Personal highlights that initially come to mind were the L3 story, the Imperial Smashed By The Asteroid story, the space-slug story, and the revelation that Cloud City had its own version of Emperor Norton.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure I've said this already somewhere here, but I rather thing that 'Catalyst', 'Rebel Rising', and the Rogue One novelization make up what is a surprisingly tight, coherent and comprehensive trilogy, which I shall henseforth dub "The Erso Saga".

Janeway’s Girl likes this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the Rogue One novelization yet, but I was surprised just how well Catalyst and Rebel Rising flow together. There are several references to stuff that happened in Catalyst in Rebel Rising.