Star Wars Books Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mr Light, Feb 12, 2015.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks kinda Games of Thrones-ish.

2. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a nice cover!

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A simple cover, but evocative. Well done.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I've been listening to Dooku: Jedi Lost on my commutes to/from work recently and I'm really digging the format. I hope they put out more audio dramas like it.

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How is the story itself? I read the book version and was kinda bored with it. I'm wondering if hearing it improves it.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

It's a little dry but the music and sound effects help spruce it up (though there is one voice that just sounds hilariously out of place). I'm only about halfway through it though.

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished Resistance Reborn. It was okay but it was fun reading an original novel with the actual movie characters in them. Made it feel more significant than the other books.
    I do feel that it should have had one more chapter at the end showing Kylo's perspective of things after TLJ. See where his head is after losing the Falcon.

I like the cover of the new Thrawn book. I just hope the story isn't as dull as the previous three.

9. WebLurker

My understanding is that it's prequel, which could be interesting (we'll get to see Chiss society up close and all that), but at the moment, I'm far more interested in what happens after the trilogy. Heck, I'd rather see the further missions of the Chiss ship Eli Vanto was assigned to then the origin story to Thrawn's origin story.

10. Tuskin38

Well any post-rebels focus on thrawn won’t be done by Zahn, unless Filoni says it’s ok. Zahn has said he doesn’t want to step on Filoni’s toes

Though they could still do stories that focus on Eli without involving Thrawn

WebLurker likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had been assuming the upcoming book/comic series Project Luminous was tied into The Rise of Skywalker, but today I got wondering if maybe it's tied into The Mandalorian instead. I've been shocked we haven't gotten any tie-ins for it, and then I got thinking what if maybe the reason we haven't, is because they are all going to be released as part of Project Luminous after the season is over. Could it be the origin story for Baby Yoda? Maybe Project Luminous is the name for whatever The Client and Pershing wanted him for.

12. Tuskin38

I mean, it might even be a project during the ESB-ROTJ gap. The term Luminous beings comes from Yoda in ESB.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I very much doubt it. I, too, have read The Secret History of Star Wars, and we're really very far away from what George Lucas had in mind in the 1980s for the sequel trilogy.

Koric likes this.
  14. WebLurker

Yeah, LucasFilm went their own way from day one.

Koric likes this.
  15. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recently read Vector Prime (for the first time though I had read other TNJO books back around 2002/2003). Biggest reactions are that Jacen comes off as at best pretty crazy, but in a way that, annoyingly, we're supposed to agree with or at least deeply admire, the new aliens were kind of interestingly different, the New Republic seemed too fragile and corrupt/inept and IIRC that increases in the series. A little too much focus on Chewbacca making his dying seem a little too trying-to-hearstring-pull and not inevitable but kind of likely. Mara Jade is definitely idolized but that's not really surprising.

16. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

While I don't agree with the Mara dig (she's my favorite SW character, and she definitely wasn't idolized by the EU writers, as seen by how pointlessly she was killed), the NJO series quickly created my hatred of jacen Solo. Even before he became a blatant villain, within his first few major NJO appearances I hated the smug prick, and the fact that he kills Mara later just solidifies him as my most hated SW character (canon or legends). My most hated SW book of all time (which I hate even more then Lost Stars) is NJO: Traitor. 292 pages of Jacen Solo being an infuriating shithead.

I wish he'd just gone evil in NJO, then we wouldn't have had so many books pretending like he ever "had a point" with his stupid philosophy, or was ever anything but an idiot who thought that his crap didn't stink.

17. WebLurker

Used to have a copy. Thought the series was okay, but I think it was the beginning of the end for the post-ROTJ Legends being good, so I'm not exactly a fan of it.

Wasn't much of a Jacen fan myself in these books. As I recall, he was originally slated to die, but that got changed, so maybe the early stuff was meant to fit with that?

Yeah, I can see that.

And it only got worse in the later series.

I actually found the death underwhelming. IMHO, the Agents of Chaos books did a better job underscoring his death.

I didn't notice that myself.

Funny, that seems to be a fan favorite.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

If something is beloved by the majority of fans, than it is almost a guarantee that Kirk55555 thinks it is the worst thing to every happen in the history of everything, everywhere.

Turtletrekker and Masiral like this.
  19. WebLurker

Well, I'm not really a Jacen fan or liked the whole "we can use the dark side if the ends justify the means" ideology he took up (the movies literally state and show that that doesn't work), so I've never really wanted to read it myself. Heck, when fans were unhappy that Jacen went evil, I was thinking that that finally made him interesting.

20. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've recently started a read-through of the canon books, starting with Master and Apprentice. I'm really enjoying it so far.