Star Trek TOS Re-Watch

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Commander Troi, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Timofnine

Timofnine Vice Admiral Moderator

Well, I shall be indulging in The Naked Time tonight. This episode from what I remember should just be a harmless romp. I think that it was a comedy episode of sorts, probably a bit of light hearted mess after the intensity of the past few episodes. I remember a sweaty Sulu running around the ship topless with a sword and that the virus on the ship is the same that infected the Enteprise D crew in the indirect sequel to this episode… The Naked Now. :D

“Data, you are fully functional aren't you?” Yar questions Lt Cmdr Data suggestively, their eyes locked and unflinching.

“Of course, but...” Replies Data, his mannerisms as ever still quite matter of fact, artificially calm and controlled.

Tasha continues to move closer to her Commander seductively… predatory. “How… fully?” She demands of her superior.

“In every way, I am programed in multiple techniques…” States the android in response to Yar’s query, as he begins to initiate his subroutines.

Oh! You jewel!” Yar says excitedly as she moves in for the kill, like a cougar pouncing on to it’s prey. Data’s lips begin to ‘pucker’.

*FADES TO BLACK*

Sorry, I don’t know any The Naked Time quotes yet, but I should do by tomorrow!

:D

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

“The Naked Time” is not a comedy.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  3. Timofnine

Oh right, I will try to take it seriously then. I always got the impression that it was a comedy episode when I was younger. I may have misinterpreted the episode at the time.

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There are some lighter moments in it, but overall it’s not intended as comedy.

5. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In "The Naked Now" if I recall, they get hit with a different contaminant that has similar effects. But some of the actors fall back on the most clichéd hiccup mannerisms, because evidently they were simply told to "act drunk." That TNG fumble might be why you associate this plot with comedy. Or maybe Kevin Riley's escapades in the TOS version was why. There was some comedy in there.

Warped9 likes this.
  6. Vincent van Ghoul

Vincent van Ghoul Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having rewatched this last Thanksgiving I can tell you that it is not a comedy. It has some lighter moments, but it definitely is not the same tone as "The Naked Now." The whole thing is very dramatic, with some rather emotional moments.

I don't say this to discourage but to say that you might want to adjust your expectations.

7. Mr. Spook

Mr. Spook Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah there isn't a Star Trek "comedy" until the second season.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hilarious moment; Swashbuckling Sulu was attempting to save the "fair maiden" to which Uhura replies, "Sorry, neither."

Commander Troi likes this.
  9. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Quoter of Quotes Premium Member

I always loved that line, even when I was too young to understand it. I just loved how Nichelle said it. :)

shapeshifter likes this.
  10. shapeshifter

Her delivery absolutely sells the story. :lol:

11. Timofnine

I was going to save my interpretation of this line for this weeks episode review. But as it has been brought up early…

Uhura replies “Sorry, neither” to two things:
    1. Being a ‘fair maiden’
    2. Being offered protection by ‘compromised’ Sulu
    She actually put herself in to the situation as part of her impromptu yet still effective method of apprehending the compromised Sulu? Ultimately, he probably ended up infecting her though. :shrug:

12. No Grave Dug

No Grave Dug Admiral Admiral

Actually the response to Fair Maiden was
    1. She's not "fair", IE fair skin (white)
    2. She's not a "maiden" IE Still a Virgin.

13. Vincent van Ghoul

Vincent van Ghoul Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it travels by touch and poor infection controls.
    Yup.

14. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I thought this writeup was spectacular. Thanks. I also had never thought of any allegory about drugs relating to the salt and the shapeshifting. Well done.

Timofnine likes this.
  15. Timofnine

@Phaser Two , I think that a few episodes so far have dealt with the human mind and how it can be affected by ‘substances’ such as ‘Saurian brandy’, ‘salt’ and the ‘Venus drug’. Also, how the mind is not either ‘black or white’ but a spectrum of shades of grey, a spectrum that is not linear nor predictable. Here is an image to illustrate this scale as it’s hard to explain.
    A6AC22B0-1C41-44D0-940F-494F990A6B7A.jpeg
    White is the perception of ‘good’ and the black could be the perception of ‘bad’. Or we could inverse white to bad and black to ‘good’ - there is no reason to label any particular shade as being positive or negative. Substances can cause the human mind to become altered through false expressions of extra confidence, driving powerful urges or emotions that are normally suppressed such as anger or love. People obviously can do things that they would not normally do when their inhibitions are shed or the mind is otherwise ‘altered’.

Mudd’s Women - This dealt with three women who were addicted to a drug which made them attractive to others. It also kept them looking youthful and able to retain their beauty. This addiction was used by a man to control the women who he had taken ‘ownership’ of.

The Enemy Within - An example of how the human mind is not a polar ‘good’ and ‘bad’ construct, but a combination of all experiences that we have had and the things that we have done, both good and bad which make us a ‘yolked’ whole. Kirk was split quite simply in to ‘good’ and ‘bad’ to make this point, but reconstituted back in to a Kirk who is a combination of all those things which makes him a *very* complicated character, as illustrated in the grey scale image above. Of course, bad Kirk becomes intoxicated on Saurian brandy, and this intoxication is what led him to do some terrible things in this particular episode, though this can *not* be used as an excuse for his actions. This episode is about how we overcome our ‘primal’ urges and negative thought patterns using our intelligence.

The Man Trap - Dealing with an alien’s extreme need; it addiction to ‘salt’. The behaviour of this alien is very much similar to how a human could be affected by such an addiction; becoming a monster and committing terrible crimes worthy of a Tarantino movie in order to satisfy the ‘craving’ or ‘need’.

This weeks episode The Naked Time is yet another foray in to the human mind, in particular relating to our behaviour when our inhibitions are ‘lifted’. Inhibitions are lifted by a ‘virus’ this time around, which is likely the science fiction allegory for ‘alcohol’ and it’s effects on society which could be perceived as being similar to a virus in it’s destructiveness to the human mind and communities. This time, the allegory deals more with other aspects of mental health rather than binary ‘good’ or ‘bad’ behaviour and actions. But I’ll touch on these things more as my narrative progresses. :D

So, without further ado…

Star Trek episode 01x07 - The Naked Time

I always thought of this episode as being a light hearted comedy episode, I probably saw it last when I was in my early teens. However, as correctly informed by @Warped9 , The Naked Time is far from a comedy with it being quite a dark and even tragic episode in places. Baring this in mind, the episode does still have it’s light hearted moments which are quite memorable and iconic therefore these are the parts of the episode that I remember the most. Also, The Next Generation ‘love song’ to this episode, The Naked Now is an episode that I have watched multiple times over the years, I think that this episode glazed my expectations for this 1960’s TOS episode and made me perceive it as being a comedic ‘romp’ through my rose tinted glasses. :mallory:

The USS Enterprise is orbiting the planet Psi 2000, a frozen and inhospitable planet home to a group of scientists who are studying it’s ‘end days’ in the hopes of learning how other planet’s may end their existence; perhaps even learning how Earth may be fated *many* millennia from now.

Our first glimpse of the outpost does not not bode well for the scientists, we are shown an scientists slumped over his console, frozen in action with the whole room being frosted with a thick sheet of ice crystals. Blood is also smeared on the outposts walls. Our heroes beam down dressed for the occasion; kudos to the costume department for very imaginative ‘protective’ away team attire, these bright orange costumes stand out really well against the white frosted outpost sets. I am guessing that these costumes are insulating biohazard suits.

Spock and Lieutenant Joe Tormolen begin to explore the science station, of course something is not quite right. Suspicions are confirmed as another frozen body is found, that of a women who appears to have been strangled. In total, four more bodies are found by the landing party, having all demised in peculiar and ‘random’ situations.

Lt Tormolen breaks Starfleet protocol and defeats the whole purpose of wearing a biohazard suit - he removes one of his gloves in order to ‘touch things’. A red blood like substance proceeds towards his bared flesh, it must have been attracted to his body heat. It is obvious at this point that Joe must have been infected by something. With the damage done, the Lieutenant put’s his glove back on.

Be certain that we expose ourselves to nothing!” Says an unknowing Spock to his landing party partner.

Uh oh… :eek:

It is Stardate 1704 and the landing party return to the Enterprise for a full decontamination and medical checkup. Despite no obvious pathogens or substances being found, Joe Toromolen is starting to act strangely, though in discreet and barely noticeable ways.

During the landing parties debriefing, it is again noted how all of the scientists at the outpost died in unusual and random situations and scenarios though there are no signs of murder or pathogens. One engineer died ‘playing games’ on his console and another fully dressed whilst having a shower.

In the ships replomat, Tormolen is greeted by Sulu and what could be assumed to be his ‘date’ or partner Kevin. Sulu and Kevin are teasing each other with banter talking about everything from self defense to sish kebabs. Kevin is not impressed by Sulu’s attempts at getting him to enjoy botany as collecting leaves and plant specimens does not appeal to him. He obviously has not met the lovely Gertrude though. :D

Sulu tries to get Joe to take his side in the argument, but as previously mentioned something is not quite right with the crewman. Tormolen begins to itch his palms compulsively and obsessively. Eventually, Joe snaps at Sulu starting to act aggressively and irrational. I will put the next scene in to spoiler brackets as it could be triggering to some people as it deals with a sensitive topic.

Joe holds up a cutlery knife to Sulu and Kevin.

Joe begins to deliver an ‘eco warrior’ speech about how they/Starfleet are not doing enough to save the planet below or even our own planet. He blames the Enterprise, it’s crew and even to some extent himself for the deaths of the scientists below. Perhaps they should never have been sent to Psi 2000 to meet this fate.

Joe then turns the knife on to himself in what can only be interpreted as an attempt to end his own life. Sulu and Kevin try to help and restrain Joe so that he does not harm himself, but in the resulting altercation Joe falls on to the blade, seriously injuring himself.

Kevin calls sickbay to report the medical emergency, though his palms are now itching too with the accompanying ‘rattle snake’ musical que which helps the audience know that something is now not quite right with him too…

Captain Kirk adds another ‘supplemental’ log to this weeks episode, it has now been firmly established that these are indeed addendums to dated log entries helping to explain the story to the audience - perhaps after a commercial break? In this case, Kirk records that there is a disease on the Enteprrise infecting the crew, though in the actual episode itself Kirk does not know about this turn of events as of yet.

At his post on the Enterprise bridge, Kevin continues to acts strangely… trying to itch that itch that just can not be satisfied in his palms. Again, in all respects of not exposing anyone to a sensitive topic, I shall use spoiler brackets once more.

Spock concludes that Tormolen did have reported psychological issues, but he has always been more than capable of containing them. Spock can not understand why all of a sudden Joe had decided to end his own life in such a mental health crisis. It is concluded that something must have ‘magnified’ the lieutenants personal problems and led him to have this uncharacteristic outburst… something must have lifted his inhibitions or ‘barriers’. Of course we know that this is the result of a virus in the episode, though in ‘real life’ this could be the result of alcohol which can have similar effects on people who may be struggling with their mental health… the possible allegory for the virus in The Naked Time. It would not be right for me to talk about this sensitive topic without putting a link in to a charity that helps people with issues relating to their mental health, so here goes: MIND and Mental Health America.

Tormolen is treated for his injuries by Nurse Chapel and McCoy in what should be a simple operation, however it seems that Toromlen has just ‘given up’ and lost the will to live. As a result, this ‘virally’ magnified expression of his darkest thoughts manifests with him physically dying, despite the medical teams best efforts. McCoy does not understand why Tormolen died, he doesn’t think that Joe would have just given up. Of course, we know that an external intoxicator had influenced his behaviour making him act out of character and without his normal sense of reason.

The episode next changes tone becoming slightly more light hearted with a bit of banter between Sulu and his partner.

Don’t know if it is this planet or what happened to Joe… but I am sweating like a bridegroom!!!” Sulu says to Kevin.
    “Yes, me too!”
    He replies. *wink wink*. :D
    “Why don’t you come down to the gym with me Kevin lad?”
    Sulu continues, his lips puckered and eyes wide. By this point though, we know that Sulu’s inhibitions may be somewhat starting to ‘lift’… Kevin, not quite ready to break the rules so severely decides to remain on the bridge. :D

Where is Mr Sulu?” Spock ask Kevin, who we now learn has the surname of Riley.
    “Have no fear, O’Riley is here, and one Irishman is worth 10,000…” Kevin replies almost drunkenly. I wonder what he was going to say before being interrupted? Is this a quote from an Earth text? Spock notices this change of behaviour and orders Uhura to take over Kevin’s station.
    Now that is what I like, let the women work too… universal suffrage!” Riley slurs back.

“Richelieu, beware!”

Sulu jumps out on to the ships corridor shirtless and brandishing a sword. He quite humorously pricks his finger on it’s tip and winces.
    A14A8007-8EB0-43A2-8912-C54F0F580589.jpeg
    5E153C0B-3CC3-414B-A6BF-E366A14EDF81.jpeg
    Sulu proceeds to chase crewmen and women down the corridor with his brandished sword.

Back on the bridge, Spock concludes that hidden or repressed personality traits are being forced to the surface - Riley sees himself a descendant of Irish kings, with Sulu being a swashbuckler of the 18th century. At which point, Sulu bursts on to the bridge…

“Sulu, put that *thing* away!” Kirk orders.
    Sulu whips his sword around with a mixture of menace and teasing until Uhura helps to save the day.
    I will protect you fair maiden!” Sulu exclaims.
    Sorry… neither” she confidently bounces back. Mine, and others interpretations of this scene here.

Spock nerve pinches Sulu to neutralise the threat… though this skin to skin contact could be the start of the logical and controlled Vulcan himself getting this ‘viral itch’…

Back to Riley, he is not a ‘bad’ drunk so far, just a ‘silly’ drunk. Even when intoxicated he still does as he is told, he therefore follows Spock’s orders and makes his way down to sickbay, making glamorous hand gestures along the way to open doors acting just like he had consumed a bottle of Saurian brandy. He even blows a door open which is quite amusing. :D

Looking for his friend Joe, Kevin has a bit of flirty banter with Nurse Chapel. I am glad that Yeoman Rand was not in sickbay at the time and confronted in the same way as she has already been through enough with this kind of uninvited behaviour. Quite differently this time though, Riley does not seem to have the same ‘drive’ for Chapel as he does for Sulu… he promptly marches off, continuing his sassy hand movements to open doors.

Riley makes his way down to engineering where he seals himself in and takes command, just like Wesley Crusher did in The Naked Now. Even more unfortunate though, is the fact that the Enterprise has begun to spiral down towards the planet Psi 2000. Engines and Helm are down… there are 19 minutes remaining until the ship meets is ultimate doom. Riley continues to make comedic banter with Scotty and the crew, unable to stand up straight becoming more and more intoxicated. We do learn an interesting fact about the Enteprise at this point - there is an onboard bowling alley. :D

Riley makes a statement on how women should be themselves and ‘let their hair down’ and not feel forced to ‘look made up’. This is a good bit of advice that plays well against the actions of Mudd’s women in a previous episode, who felt the need to live up to the the ideal image of women in order to do well and get a rich husband.

By now, it is obvious that the virus has begun to run rampant on the Enterprise. Graffiti begins to appear on the ships corridors, the crew are behaving randomly as if drunkenly making their way home from a night out on the town. Drunken singing and hedonistic laughter fill the corridors….
    060D8CFB-FF22-4E19-B128-7CF85F3038A7.jpeg
    Chapel, who is treating the now restrained Sulu, is starting to slur her words too… it looks like *no one* aboard the Enterprise is going to escape this virus! She makes her way to the bridge to find the crew laughing and tickling each other.

Could this all now be an analogy of an entire society, represented as a macrocosm onboard the Enteprrise, collapsing as a result of this viral intoxication? The crew are becoming hedonistic, wild… without self discipline and control. The Enterprise or no society in general could function with these issues.

Chapel makes her way to Spock, confessing her undying love for him. We know that she really *does* love Spock though, Chapel has kept this ‘ not so hidden secret’ within her since season one of Strange New World’s. Chapel has always wanted to express herself to Spock in this way in my opinion, though it is a shame that she had to be intoxicated to do so.

“I am sorry…” Spock replies to her, almost with a level of understanding.

At this point, Spock begins to feel overwhelmed with his emotions too - he already had this battle under control in his mind but just like with Tormolen, his mental discipline and control are being brought to the surface by the virus. Spock starts welling up… could this be partly a result of Chapel’s confession to him? His deep sadness of not being able to be with her because of his betrothal to T’Pring could be being released. :wah:

“I *am* in control of my emotions…” Spock sobs. It is quite upsetting to see Spock in such an emotional state, he almost seems… broken.

Meanwhile, Enterprise continues to spiral down to Psi 2000’s surface as the planet disintegrates though engineering has been successfully recovered from Riley - Scotty just had to make sure that he did not cut through the wrong wires and circuitry as he was carving a hole in to the wall in order to gain access, it was quite the surgical procedure. Scotty however proclaims that there is nothing that he can do to help save the ship, getting the engines and helm back up and running…

“I canna change the laws of physics!” Scotty tells his superiors… delivering his now famous words.:bolian:

Returning to Spock, who is now having an intoxicated conversation with Kirk, we learn of one of the other ‘ghosts’ that haunts our Vulcan friend. Spock has never been able to tell his human mother, Amanda, that he loves her. He gets angry at Kirk as a result of allowing himself to call his Captain a friend, if he could call Kirk his friend why could he not tell his mother that he loved her? Kirk slaps Spock in a return rage, Spock slaps Kirk back who is flawed by the force. But once more… this skin on skin contact gives Kirk… the itch. The rattle snake cue ensues.

A thread/character arc which was first brought up in The Corbomite Maneuvre and Mudd’s Women is next brought to a head…

“This vessel… she gives… I take. She *won’t* permit me my life… I’ve got to live hers.”

Kirk in delivering these lines, describing his relationship with the Enteprrise, failed to take Sulu’s advice in last weeks episode in regards to gender labeling inanimate objects. Kirk has obviously objectified and assumed the Enterprise gender as being female: though I guess he and everyone else are free to their own personal identification of the material things which are close to their heart. Of course, Kirk is not just talking about his ship here… is is also talking about his command, his duties and his responsibilities that he feels ‘chained’ to. He is ‘married’ to his ship and this is stopping him from pursuing the life that he truly wants deep down, his inhibitions are bringing these feelings up to the surface to be expressed outwardly. Deep down, Kirk might be feeling quite lonely…

No beach to walk on…” Kirk concludes defeatedly, as he looks at Chapel thinking what could be if it wasn’t for his career, ship and crew.

Spock and McCoy manage to develop a cure to the virus, and the Enterprise manages to break free from Psi 2000 just in the nick of time. Everything nicely wrapped up at the last minute.

Of course, this weeks episode can’t be wiped as a log entry would be as done in previous episodes, so the Enterprise is taken in to a time warp. The past three days are erased and the crew have them to live again without making the same intoxicated mistakes as they had done in the now erased past.

Spock now knows that time travel exists and can be used to correct history and past mistakes…

I don’t think that the time warp saved Joe Tormolen, but I *could* be wrong. :weep:

“Steady as she goes….” Kirk orders, as the good ship Enterprise sails on to it’s next adventure, this time travelling at warp.

I grade Star Trek episode 01x07 The Naked Time 6/10

Next week…. Charlie X! :D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Phaser Two and Commander Troi like this.
  16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Down through the ages many people have labeled sea going vessels and even aircraft as “she.” It’s nothing new peculiar to Kirk or any of the other characters.

Although it has long now been known that George Takei is gay it wasn’t widely known back in the day. To that end there is nothing in TOS to suggest Sulu is gay. Indeed it’s quite likely network censors would have objected strongly to such suggestions of a character. Also guys can have friendly and joking banter between them totally without sexual innuendo involved.

17. Timofnine

I agree, it’s all interpretation. I like to have a bit of fun with my rewatch though… unless something serious pops up like the potential mental health issues which the virus tragically magnified.

*EDIT*

I wonder why the Enterprise was not put in to ‘Lockdown’ when it first became apparent that a virus was running rampant? :shrug:

18. shapeshifter

Fans have been wondering that for decades. Just mark it down as an Medical Dept. oversight, human error. Someone was asleep at the switch, or drunk. Or dead. :lol:

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think SNW has been very clever in the way it weaved a prior relationship between Chapel and Spock from the exchange in this scene. It was always odd that her feelings could turn so quickly from Korby to Spock.

I always wondered though why Rand wasn't left at the helm until the final scene when Sulu retakes his station.

20. Timofnine

This scene between Spock and Chapel if interpreted in the potential context of Strange New World’s is literally *heartbreaking*. I hope that the writers manage to reflect this deep love between the two characters in upcoming seasons of SNW. Maybe TOS will deal with it a bit more too? Leonard Nimoy acted this scene to a dramatic extreme *very* well… this acting combined with SNW almost makes this ‘love triangle’ between Spock/T’Pring/Chapel almost unintentionally Shakespearean in context, though all depending on how good the SNW writers *really* are at connecting these kind of dots between the two series in the long term… if they even care enough to do so. Technically is should be a ‘love square’, not triangle between Spock/T’Pring/Chapel/Stonn though not all corners of this square need to actually meet considering how *awkward* that meeting would actually be. :D

The final scene between Kirk and Janice is quite touching, it shows that Kirk for a moment was thinking about Janice and a future with her I think. He gently touches her hair as he contemplates the possibility of another life before saying “No beach to walk on…” like he would be wanting to *actually* do that with her in a romantic way, but suddenly Kirk pulls back in realisation that his career and his duty; his ‘marriage to his ship’, will prevent him from ever having a true relationship or romance with her so they could *never* walk together. This scene is however somewhat tainted by the earlier events between Kirk and Rand as depicted in The Enemy Within. It comes across even worse I think if we consider the broadcast order, this scene takes a more sinister tone with the events of The Naked Time happening *before* the events of The Enemy Within. Broadcast vs production order is quite important to the interpretation of subtle yet important scenes between characters in these early days of this swashbuckling new sci-fi series. Broadcast order makes it look like Kirk realised that he could not be with Rand but decided to ‘try’ anyway, or at least the ‘bad’ Kirk did…

Better shown in context, I think that I am *definitely* preferring production order to broadcast so far in regards to visual continuity and character developments as a whole. It’s also a shame that so many potential regular or recurring characters are killed off so early. It is almost like the only two *main* characters so far are Kirk and Spock. No one else seems safe as a regular in these early days of the series though our familiar faces of Uhura, Scotty and McCoy are beginning to break through as strong, solid recurring characters . Maybe they will get their names in the credits one day and all be confirmed as ‘regulars’? :D

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Commander Troi and Pauln6 like this.