Star Trek TOS Re-Watch

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Commander Troi, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Intentional comedy....

Neopeius likes this.
  2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

One gets fedup with hacks constantly moving the goalposts and claiming, “This is the way it really was.” and, “This is the way it really looked like.”

Fuck that. If something is already established then claiming a change is what it was really supposed to be is nothing less than a reboot and totally divorced from what was previously established.

3. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't watch many 1960s medical dramas and can't say about their containment protocols.

I rmember that a comedy series set in a hospital, House Calls (1979-1982), had an episode, "A slight Case of Quarantine" 21 January 1980. where it was suspected that several persons might have been exposed to smallpox. And I remember that they were put in quarantine until they either showed symptoms or didn't.

And in that way the hospital seemed to be taking reasonably adequate precautions. So far, so good.

But why was it suspected that people in the hospital had been exposed to the deadly smallpox virus? This was after the great effort to exterminate the smallpox virus. The last confirmed case was in October, 1977 and smallpox was offically declared extinct on 9 December 1979 and 8 may 1980. When the epsisode was being written, live smallpox virus was aleady confined to a few research labs.

According to the episode, a littlle boy patient got bored and started wandering the hospital, spraying people with his water pistorl. And it was feared that he might have been in the lab with the smallpox and filled his water pistol with it.

So this hospital was apparently one of the few in the world, one out of many thousands, with a good enough reputation to be selected for smallpox research. and yet the researcher who went out for lunch or to the bathroom didnt lock away the virus before leaving the room, and didn't lock the door to the lab after leaving the room unattended? And the lab was in a corridor accessable for child pationts to wander in unacccompanied? No locked doors between the patients and the corridor leading to a sample worth untold millions to someone who could deliver it to terrorists?

So possibly the infection and quarantine protocols in TOS were standard for that era in TV. And considering the history of human slip ups, I regrettably say that such an obvious blunder might not be far fetched enough in real life to classify that episode as "science fiction".

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The characters in "Naked Time" "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" were originally two separate people. Roddenberry rewrote the character in the latter episode to be Chapel, possibly because he wanted Majel Barrett to get the role.

Commander Troi and ZapBrannigan like this.
  5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I have always taken it that Chapel was in love with Corby and hoped to find him when he disappeared. In the interim she met Spock and found herself drawn to him, but didn’t act on it until the events in “The Naked Time.” When they found Corby and she learned he had actually been dead for many years her attention turned back toward Spock, yet she still kept it largely to herself and resisted pursuing him given she understood that he would or could never reciprocate her feelings.

Lord Garth and Commander Troi like this.
  6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's a shame that they put no effort into marrying up the character threads. She had a complex back story with a raft of potential qualifications, and she was never once allowed to use them in any of the episodes. All her research is off camera and Bones gets the credit: she isn't even featured in Miri, and she isn't asked to join landing parties that deal with ancient alien ruins such as Paradise Syndrome or Turnabout Intruder. She is also never allowed to act or even express her opinion on her obvious professional intuition in And the Children Shall Lead or Turnabout Intruder. Very frustrating.

Even in production order her turnaround looks a bit abrupt. I have ben very impressed with the way SNW has weaved in a prior, quite organic, relationship between the two.

7. mb22

Chapel wasn't a running character in the first season. She was featured in "Naked Time" as a guest character (like Riley) and was a replacement for another character in "What Are Little Girls Made Of" (courtesy of Roddenberry). She wasn't featured again until the very last episode of the first season "Operation Annihilate!" It seems that the character of Chapel (and actress Majel Barrett) wasn't considered a full-fledged part of the show until the second season.

Lord Garth and Commander Troi like this.
  8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

NBC didn’t like Majel in the role of Number One—they didn’t think she was strong enough to carry the role. They also disliked Roddenberry’s blatant nepotism in casting his known extramarital girlfriend in a prominent role of a show he was trying to sell them.

If another actress, not connected so intimately with Roddenberry, had been cast as Number One the character might have survived into the series.

Given NBC’s objection to Majel then Roddenberry still tried to sneak her into the show in some capacity.

Commander Troi and ZapBrannigan like this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. The biggest thing I have enjoyed about the prequel presentation of SNW is giving a little more color and life to even secondary cast from TOS.

Do I agree with all of it? Nope. But, I don't agree half the Trek films either in their interpretation of characters. I enjoy seeing a different take though than my fan assumptions would take me before.

Commander Troi, Pauln6 and Donald G like this.
  10. Donald G

Donald G Commander Red Shirt

Hey, MY Star Trek died with "The Counter-Clock Incident." All professionally produced Star Trek since 1979 has essentially been a longlasting, extended reboot to me, an often enjoyable reboot, but a little off in certain respects in comparison to Trek during its first decade of existence.

But our feelings about the legitimacy, or lack thereof, of subsequent sequel films and series are irrelevant.

drt and fireproof78 like this.
  11. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Was it coincidence that Chapel was on board the ship when it "found" Korby or was it in the Enterprise 5-year schedule -
    1. Visit salt creature planet
    2. Visit penitentiaries
    3. Visit last place heard from Roger Korby.
    4. Space mapping
    5. Negotiate treaty.

12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's true, and there were certainly other characters who would have been higher up my list than Chapel for a return (Charlene Masters, Helen Noel, Tonia Barrows). They had a series of Yeoman Not-Rands in series one, plus Uhura took on Rand's role in one episode. Maybe, once they realised that there wasn't much mileage in the yeoman character if she wasn't a regular, they decided that another occasional day player character away from the bridge would do, and the nurse character could function as decorative as well as fulfil a story purpose occasionally.

13. mb22

The actresses who played Masters, Noel, and Barrows didn't have a relationship with Roddenberry. And I doubt they would make Janet MacLachlan a regular, having already one African American woman in the cast.

Does anyone have the first season writer's bible? I doubt Chapel is mentioned in it.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  14. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Quoter of Quotes Premium Member

Yes.

15. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

TOS = Star Trek 1.0
    TNG-ENT = Star Trek 2.0
    DSC on = Star Trek 3.0

It's pretty cut-and-dried from the way I see it.
    Interesting. I never noticed that or really thought about it before. I think it's possible Gene Roddenberry was hoping NBC would forget about Majel Barrett and was trying to give them time to. Not that he was actually fooling anybody... Otherwise, he might've had more of Chapel in the first season.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

They spotted Majel’s reappearance pretty well right off.

17. EnnJaySeeT800

EnnJaySeeT800 Ensign Red Shirt

I didn't like the ending of The Man Trap, killing off the last of the creature's kind seemed a bit off putting for me

18. mb22

What about the TOS animated series and the TOS movies?

19. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how much choice there was. McCoy fired twice without changing the settings. It took two shots to kill it. So stun probably wasn't gonna do a lot - unless it was on stun and it was so weak, that setting killed it. This episode's version of stun seemed to be making someone groggy with their voice on "slow" rather than knocking someone out.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except for Crater. He gets knocked right out.