Spoilers Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x09 - "All Those Who Wander"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Commander Richard, Jun 29, 2022.

?

Hit it!

1. 10 - Excellent!

31.4%
  2. 9

25.6%
  3. 8

20.6%
  4. 7

9.0%
  5. 6

5.8%
  6. 5

1.3%
  7. 4

2.2%
  8. 3

2.2%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1 - Terrible!

0.4%
  1. Midquest

Midquest Captain Captain

Just once I'd like to open one of these threads and see the substance of the discussion not rapidly detouring into complaints about how the currently running show is ruining canon. It overwhelms discussion of, you know, episode.

This is also my hope. I'd like another original character!

2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of all the times not to reference Wrath of Khan.

Hemmer screams horrifically as Gorn crawl out his ears and burst out of his skull. He lies shaking and bleeding and moaning with his last words being "Someone please kill me".

Spock: GOOOOOOOORRRRRRRNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

If they're going to go all horror, don't pull punches.

I know the Kelvin timeline is different but I doubt Nero can change the entire Gorn species' biology. McCoy there talks about performing a caesarian section on a Gorn and surviving handling the babies, no mention about them eating everyone and implanting eggs on him.

Phaser Two and NCC-73515 like this.
  3. Anduinel

Anduinel Captain Captain

If they go with Scotty, it's going to hobble the show in terms of stakes even more. Like I said earlier, while we were watching this ep, we expected Hemmer or La'an to bite it. That was because another death was all but telegraphed due to the pacing, and all of the other characters on screen had plot armor because we know they have to be around for their TOS era adventures. But this show is built on nostalgia and has unlimited redshirts, so yeah, probably gonna see Scotty sooner rather than later.

ThreeEdgedSword likes this.
  4. Yistaan

So with the destruction of an entire Starfleet ship and the death of the flagship's engineer on their hands, how is the Gorn Hegemony not already at a years long open war with the Federation by TOS Arena?
    They should've killed Kyle, and I say this as an Asian myself. Then bring in Sulu and TOS Kyle.

5. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that they have diplomatic contact regardless, but all the destruction was inadvertently caused by a few escapees who happened to be infected with hatchlings, not an active plan by the Gorn Hegemony itself.

Phaser Two and Captain_Amasov like this.
  6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Self-respect?" No, that's an artificial standard that has been applied by fans not a requirement of the story itself. See, sticking to canon sounds great until you realize that it's sometimes based upon fan assumption of what these relationships were prior to the cameras rolling. It's a lack of acknowledgement that people change, especially going through stressful and difficult events. I would not expect Chapel in SNW to behave identically to Chapel in TOS because stuff happens to her between those two timeframes.

It's clear that there is a different perspective going on for Spock, for T'Pring and for Chapel, all of whom are finding their way in a very weird and unusual circumstance leading in to TOS. Acting like Chapel should behave a particular way really takes away from the drama of the moment of a person struggling with unrequited feelings and receiving mixed messages. And, having witnessed that first hand in real life I can say Chapel is handling it better than other people I've seen.

As for Kenobi, Kenobi was lambasted and treated quite poorly for it's handling of canon, same with the prequel trilogy. So, if Kenobi is the standard then SNW is doing just as well if not better.

Captain_Amasov and DaveyNY like this.
  7. Yistaan

Hegemony starships literally hunted the Enterprise just a few episodes ago around a black hole...

8. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Well, a Caesarian Section very much indicates to me that the babies had to be cut out to save the life of the Mother(? or perhaps the Victim) and SURVIVING handling babies, isn't normally something that Dr.'s & RN's have to deal with.
    The Gorn babies McCoy removed may have been sedated so that everybody survived the procedure.

9. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I feel that they overdid the monstrous nature of the Gorn in this episode. It is difficult to see them as a species that managed to achieve space travel and build a galactic empire if they were this aggressive. Furthermore, how the hell did Kirk best a Gorn in combat when it is stated in this episode that a single adult Gorn could take out several humans with little or no difficulty?

Phaser Two, GeorgeKirk, Kor and 4 others like this.
  10. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Plus the ship wasn't destroyed, if the Enterprise was able to pull it off the planet and tow it home.

11. Yistaan

Maybe the Gorn can implant eggs in the Federationers all they want and the Fed's too meek to fight back, but I can't believe the Klingon or Romulan Empire didn't orbitally bombard the Gorn homeworld to a crisp after even just one Klingon or Romulan victim. Remember what the Klingons did to the tribbles after all.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

La'an is in season 2, pretty sure that's been officially confirmed.

Phaser Two likes this.
  13. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Individual variation I would imagine. Just like depending on the human in terms of physical strength their combat prowess may be very capable or reduced.

14. Yistaan

La'an: That James Kirk guy is so hot, what was I thinking leaving Starfleet? Need to go back so I can meet him. Gorn, what Gorn? Kirk's obviously so tough he can defeat a Gorn on a desert planet all by himself.

dupersuper likes this.
  15. Tuskin38

Not really, STO uses everything side by side. You can have ENT looking Gorn heads and TOS looking Gorn heads. You can have DSC klingons fighting alongside/against TNG and TOS style Klingons.

It's a theme park MMO.

They've already said they'll ignore anything that greatly contradicts their story, they're picking and choosing and adapting things from the new canon into their game canon.

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

These were young Gorn, obviously not yet fully in control of their baser/destructive traits.
    Plus, since we know nothing about the Alien they came out of, it's possible that it wasn't a compatible host.
    Due to the Alien's physiology these Gorn may never have been able to adapt to Gorn society and quite possibly might have been euthanized if they been born in a Gorn Hatchery.

Phaser Two likes this.
  17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I haven't looked at all the writing credits, but there are probably some DSC writers who moved over to SNW. I don't even know who the Showrunner of SNW is, because I while I like SNW, I'm not a fan -- meaning short for fanatic -- of it. I'm a viewer of SNW and a fan of DSC/PIC. Michelle Paradise runs DSC, Terry Matalas runs PIC, and I think Akiva Goldsman runs SNW. Goldsman came to me as I was typing this post.

Blame the general direction of SNW on Akiva Goldsman, if you want to, who has had writing credits on Disco. ;)

fireproof78 likes this.
  18. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So.. Welshie next season's engineer?

Would love for them to bring in a Tellerite for the engineer this time.

19. Tuskin38

20. Yistaan

Gorn players should be given the ability to gain levels by implanting eggs on non-Gorn characters, who then get reduced to level 1 after being infected. Then sit back and watch the chaos :lol:

Gorn Hegemon: First things first, Lieutenant. ...Kill Captain Pike.

Hemmer: Sir, that it is difficult. I ...try to obey, but...

Hegemon: Kill him.

Hemmer: I...

Hegemon: Kill him, Hemmer, now!

(Hemmer vaporizes himself. La'an's brother collapses and a Gorn hatchling crawls out of his ear)

Phaser Two, Hawku and dupersuper like this.